• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does SDCC live up to the hype and price point?

36 posts in this topic

I've only been once, in 1998. For me, the big deal was that pretty much every creator I wanted to meet was there, from across all genres, publishers, and eras, all in one room. So you could meet Los Bros at the Fantagraphics booth, or Seth and Chet Brown and Joe Matt and Julie Doucet at Drawn and Quarterly, or zip across the room to meet Chris Ware, or go meet Julie Schwartz and Shelly Moldoff, and you STILL had ample time to stand in line at the DC and Marvel booths for the superhero dudes. And even those lines weren't that bad. It was pretty amazing. I don't think I bought any comics at all, but I did buy a lot of toys. This was before internet shopping was widespread, so this was absolutely the best way to pick up all sorts of weird, rare and random imported toys. Bought a lot of Japanese exclusives. Bought so much I had to ship it all home. Man, it was great.

So, I'd say everyone should go at least once, if they can do so, but with the caveat that I haven't been for around 25 years, and I'm sure the show has changed considerably. I have no interest in seeing movie stars or any of that junk, and I'm also not into wall to wall crowds. So, I think the show has passed me by, but I'm glad I flew out for it way back then.

I will say that we went to SDCC the year after we'd gone to DragonCon, and we were thinking/hoping that SDCC would be a much bigger party, since DragonCon had been so off the hook. We were very disappointed that everything seemed to shut down around 7pm or so, and it was all very nice and polite and relatively wholesome. Following the 24/7 nerd orgy at DragonCon, that aspect definitely paled in comparison. We never returned to San Diego, but we went to DragonCon nearly every year after for about 15 years. Great times.

Born and raised in San Diego but left in '93. Growing up I would go every year, first one at the El Cortez Hotel then the old San Diego Convention Center downtown. Loved being a kid and catching up on comics and a few creator signings which I now wish I had paid more attention to. I'd even volunteer to get a free pass. I went back once in 2005 or 06 and couldn't believe how it changed. Too big to see everything you wanted and much too crowded. I live near Seattle now and even the Emerald City Comic con isn't very satisfying. I prefer the Washington State Summer con which is smaller, more manageable and gets a pretty list of celebrities and comic creators every year. 

But enough about me. Depends on what your intention is. Once maybe to experience but I personally couldn't justify the expense and hassle. 

My daughter is attending tomorrow with a friend.  She was bummed out that I wasn't able to go with her because she knows I love comics, but really, it's a relief that I'm not going.  Crowds are obnoxious, comics have been phased out for the most part, and I'm not one for sitting in lines.  The years that I attended in the 90's are what I will cherish the most.  Probably won't ever attend one again.  Now i feel old...

Thanks to everyone for the answers!

Considering most of these posts tone... I'm starting to feel like it just wont be worth it. I'll probably go to Fan Expo Dallas next year and try to snag some deals and meet some people.

It's sad to hear that major comic cons these days are inaccessible. I've heard great stories from comic book veterans about their days attending SDCC, and the thrill of the hunt at the con. I guess its time to start looking for more local and smaller conventions.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:57 PM, rjpb said:

I just looked up prices, $360 and up for a one-day pass, no thanks

That’s ridiculous.  I’d be finished with the viability assessment with that alone. Clearly unaffordable for many of us.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:59 PM, F For Fake said:

For me, the big deal was that pretty much every creator I wanted to meet was there, from across all genres, publishers, and eras, all in one room. So you could meet Los Bros at the Fantagraphics booth, or Seth and Chet Brown and Joe Matt and Julie Doucet at Drawn and Quarterly, or zip across the room to meet Chris Ware, or go meet Julie Schwartz and Shelly Moldoff, and you STILL had ample time to stand in line at the DC and Marvel booths for the superhero dudes. And even those lines weren't that bad. It was pretty amazing.

Another factor which lessens conventions now, the loss of many of the creator icons that you avidly looked forward to meeting.  In my case, less motivation for an expensive trip to a London convention; no Adams, Wrightson, Perez now, but just as applicable to assessing the value for money of attending the San Diego event. 

On 7/21/2022 at 12:57 PM, rjpb said:

I just looked up prices, $360 and up for a one-day pass, no thanks. I just realized it's been 25 years since I've been, and I think a Thursday pass was about $40 back then. 

I'm curious where you saw $360 for a one-day pass. That sounds like a secondary market price.

On 7/22/2022 at 8:34 AM, thecollectron said:

I'm curious where you saw $360 for a one-day pass. That sounds like a secondary market price.

Appears so…

https://comic-con.org/cci/badge-faq

Screen-Shot-2019-09-30-at-3.47.50-PM-768

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/22/2022 at 12:34 AM, thecollectron said:

That's correct. That was the first thing that popped up when I looked. I see now that the original price is $69, more reasonable. Hard to believe that the secondary market price is so much higher. Who is paying that?

On 7/22/2022 at 12:59 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I like they have veteran and senior prices. I took advantage of that at WonderCon. Basically half price. I tried to work an even better deal since I am a veteran AND a senior but they wern’t buying that…:roflmao:

I love going to SDCC. Love it. I spend a day buying SA/BA/GA stuff and the rest of the time exploring, people watching, going to panels and listening to authors and creators and also picking up TPB's from new talent or creators that I normally wouldn't be exposed to. I went 18 years in a row. 24 total so far. There is so much to do there outside of buying from dealers. But this year I gave up my pass. I just can't do it because of COVID concerns. I'm not buying into fear or cowering. I have to be safe and there are two more variants rearing their head. It could be a bad event even for those who are vaccinated like I am. Too many unknowns. Maybe I'd be fine. Maybe not. But I can't risk it and SDCC will be there next year. And I like the fact that I just made money in MCS's Prime Auction and don't feel like giving it back because I know I would. 

I went to NYCC in 2009 with artist credentials and got to experience it a little differently being able to get in 2 hours before the regular crowds and not having to pay full boat on tickets.

I lived in NYC and was on the west side of the island (Javits Center is on the West side) so it was super easy for me to hop on the train and in 40 minutes I was home. I know we’re talking about SDCC, but NYCC is almost as big I think - and access and experience is probably similar.

i wouldn’t do it again, knowing the costs of travel, hotels/Airbnb, and ticket price and I’m too old to be that adventurous anymore. The crowds in 2009 were stupid insane - Having to ram your way through a crowd, screaming over your shoulder to your friends because you can’t walk side-by-side and seeing your favorite artist from behind 20 other people was what it was like 13 years ago, can’t imagine it now.

But I can say I went and had a great time, which I am thankful for - because I’ll never do it again.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/22/2022 at 9:41 AM, Robot Man said:

El Cortez…:x

Remember paying the older lady in front at a card table $5. and strolling in?

How ‘bout the pool area in the evening? Eisner, Lee & Kirby smoking a cigar at a table. Listening to the stories and if you were lucky a nice free sketch.

How about stacks of GA and early SA books piled, unbagged on tables?

And getting my treasured MAD #1 signed by Wally Wood at the old Convention Center just a few months before he passed away.

One of the benefits of being a geezer today and a teenager back then. Everything changes in life but these are great memories. 

Reading these notes are always fun. All things change; SDCC changed too. It just changed into something I'm no longer that interested in going to on a regular basis anymore.

I'd go back on a day trip on the train if I could swing a one day pass. That's how we did it the last few years when hotel prices started to hit the stratosphere. Or we'd park for free at the football stadium and take the trolley into town and walk over to the show.

I can still get a pass for the show as a trade professional but they are outrageously priced and not worth it for a casual trip.

And as veteran of Phil Seuling's New York shows in the early seventies I can attest to the dramatic changes. At one of those shows Gil Kane actually came up and introduced himself to me as a professional!! I was just a kid so I actually thought it was it was kind of creepy. Now you'd be lined up down the block paying $100. to see him if he were still alive.