• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is USPS signing for packages without you?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

Yesterday I came home to find the mailman stepping back into the truck in front of my house after leaving an OA package by the door... an OA package for which the seller paid to have signature confirmation. When I asked the mailman if he needed my signature, he told me, "We are still operating under covid policy where WE can sign for you." Considering it has been 95 and humid where I live lately, I wasn't thrilled about the idea of OA "being signed for" and left at my house for hours (I only caught this package in the middle of the day by chance). Has anyone else run into this with USPS?

Edited by Guest

I run into this all the time with art as well as other items like wine club deliveries and whatnot.  I work from home, so it's usually not an issue, but yeah...causes me some concern on higher priced items.  For me this kind of falls into the "pick your battles" bucket.  Wife and I working from home, usually not an issue...until it is.  

In my neighborhood, yes! And sometimes they do it before the package is even delivered!!

Last year I had an Art-Day coming. I was at the office and was checking the tracking in anticipation, and was ecstatic to see their site said it had been delivered. I got home though, and panic instantly set in: Nothing on my porch.

After 2 hours of freaking out and frantically trying to get ahold of the post office, our mailman finally rolled down our street (nearly 8pm) delivering to his route.

I'm generally happy with the USPS, but yeah the sign for you can be troublesome.

In Nov they did that to me on a 5 figure registered mail package coming back from CGC. All was fine but i walked down and spoke with my Postmaster. Now they hold every signature required of mine at my local Post Office. It works for me, YMMV

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/21/2022 at 11:00 AM, J.Sid said:

was checking the tracking in anticipation, and was ecstatic to see their site said it had been delivered.

Had a similar thing happen to me in 2020.  I was getting a new phone (a totally different bad experience) via FedEx.  Was checking tracking every few minutes.  And checking the door every 1/2 hour.  I live on busy corner, was worried about porch pirates and it was late December.  Saw online that the package was delivered about 15 minutes earlier, ran outside, no package.  A FedEx truck drove past me.  Then backed up.  The driver handed me the package.  -> sad trombone <-

Update, went by the regional office and found out USPS did have such a policy in place (who knew? I didn't) during covid but it ended a year or so ago... so they are going to have a chat with the guy... now I have to hope he doesn't take my future art packages to a parking lot and run them over with his truck :eek:

Fedex left a 22k Hildebrandt painting on my porch. It was a massive box (48x36 in). Exposing it to the elements aside, the porch pirates are insane these days.

I picked up a registered package from Germany last week and it took the guy at the post office a good 20 minutes to even find the package. I thought registered mail was under lock and key. I remember you had to use the brown paper tape for registered mail as proof the package wasn't opened and tampered with. I assume registered mail has just become a marketing slogan, much like signature required, signature confirmation, etc. 

Because I live in the county, our mail is delivered by contractors.  They followed the beer-virus rules, but when they were relaxed, they relaxed with them.  Now, my contractor carrier brings items (usually comics) to the door and rings the door bell.  I'm retired and almost always home, so we have a good working relationship.  I can even put the red flag up on the mailbox if I have something I want picked up and she'll come to the door to get it.  Otherwise, it's 20 minutes to town to drop off stuff and I don't trust the drop-off mailboxes in the area.  Plus, it's a waste of fuel, unless I have a bunch of errands to run at once.  I was doing this before gas prices climbed. (thumbsu

I've never had a package "signed for" by USPS and left unattended.  I have had USPS tell me they'll sign for it when I've asked as they've delivered it - so just slightly earlier in the process than the OP.  It's rare that no one's here.

On 7/21/2022 at 9:45 AM, Race said:

Yesterday I came home to find the mailman stepping back into the truck in front of my house after leaving an OA package by the door... an OA package for which the seller paid to have signature confirmation. When I asked the mailman if he needed my signature, he told me, "We are still operating under covid policy where WE can sign for you." Considering it has been 95 and humid where I live lately, I wasn't thrilled about the idea of OA "being signed for" and left at my house for hours (I only caught this package in the middle of the day by chance). Has anyone else run into this with USPS?

It sounds like an issue with the USPS driver on your route. A phone call to your nearest USPS shipping location would better satisfy your complaint since they can actually discipline the courier. I've done this in the past and the shipping couriers on my route all now know not to leave anything sig required (or sign themselves) or they'll get a call from management.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:45 AM, Race said:

This happens to me all the time. Even when I am at home, my postman gives me the package but he still signs for me.

Since this has been going on for a while now, has anyone had to make a claim with collectinsure? I know for a package to be insured for shipping they require that the package be shipped with signature confirmation. But I wonder what they'll do if it was shipped that way but not signed for by the recipient and just left by the carrier. For me UPS is the only one that even rings the doorbell but they don't wait.