• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone have an efficient Excel spreadsheet template for inventory management?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

Hello all!

I hope everybody is having a good evening, getting ready to enjoy a nice weekend. I'm coming off a two week vacation & heading back to work on a weekend shift. *shrug* Can't win 'em all.

So its finally happened; my comic collection has become less-than manageable. I have 15 long boxes arranged alphabetically, and 15 short boxes that someone might charitably describe as "random" I had to speed-pack things when I moved a couple years ago and I never got around to reorganizing things. Funny thing...we might be moving again as my wife & I both have career advancement opportunities that have come up & I don't really want to pack everything up (again) and carry the books downstairs/moving van/final destination again. 

So, does anyone have an efficient Excel spreadsheet template for inventory management they'd be willing to share? I'll take my next couple of days off and power through an inventory so I have a solid handle of what books I've got, so that I can sort/pack/disposition as necessary. Any assistance would be appreciated!

I've been looking for something like this as well. It's hard to believe no one has created something like this. I did discover gocollect has the capability, but only for graded comics. You have to enter the certification number. Uh, no thanks. I'm not interested in providing what is in my collection to anyone.

I did find a few Apps that manage a collection, but when you enter the data, it's not saved on your computer, it's on their server. Again, no thanks.

The question to ask is: What inventory software is [insert large comic book business] using to track their collection?

I've reached out to ComicTom, A-1 Comics, ComicLink and BrysComics and asked them to share what program they are using. Here are the conditions:

(1) Resides only on users computer

(2) 3rd party cannot see or access the data

(3) Ideally, can track price changes and update

(4) For RAW and Graded comics

Edited by Upgrayedd2
correction/edit

An Excel spreadsheet is the wrong tool for keeping track of your inventory. The appropriate tool is a database and there are many options to choose from.

If you don't want to spend money, and if you think you're going to end up selling a lot of comics, then you might take advantage of the free database that mycomicshop.com has at webuycomics.com . It has the advantage of being portable and your comics will already be logged if you decide to sell them.

If you end up getting software then you would just put the information there later and wouldn't have to get out your comics again 🤷‍♂️

I use excel.  I made different tabs for either titles, publishing companies (for misc comics), or characters so not everything is in one long list, making it easier for me to find info.  I also highlight what comics are graded within each tab, color will correspond with the color of the label.  I made a column for cert #’s but haven’t gotten around to filling it out yet.  Im not toting that this is the answer but it works for my needs, so however you want to crack that nut feel free.  It’s tedious and requires a lot of updating but I enjoy it.  Every time I update the file I email it to myself so all my devices have an updated copy.  Attached is a screen shot of what I created.

B910272E-ABD2-4DCA-8682-08020B4C9360.png

Edited by Parabellum

I use excel and generically speaking any list will likely have Name, volume, issue number, location, and comment (1st app, cover variant version, etc.).  But some might want other data like UPC.

Mine has multiple sheets, one for my master Thanos list, one for my comic boxes, one for my graded boxes, one for my graded TATs, and a couple other personal lists.

I started out using Excel, but after I hit a thousand or so comics, it got to be too unwieldy. Scroll scroll scroll to get to an issue. That got to be too old. Yes, I know you can use control F to find something, but still too much of a pain.

I wanted a program that would be on my pc, would be private (I'm sorry, but I don't trust anything on a web based database), and that I could print out lists as needed.

I was going to use MS Access but instead I opted to get LibreOffice's free package (they are really close to MS Word, Excel, Access, etc.) and used their Base program. It took me a while to figure out, mostly by watching a series of older Youtube tutorials. Right now I am having my son log my newest acquired comics into the database I made, and it is up to over 3k of comics with no real problems yet. One initial problem that I had was what to do with duplicates, which I solved by just assigning a .2 for the second copy and a .3 for the third, like issue no 100.2, 100.3, 100.4, etc. I am sure that there is a better way to do this, which I hope to eventually figure out. One thing I have not solved in Base is how to set it up to show a running total of how many comics I have. Right now I have to open another Base program to get that, whereas my old database program displayed it without an issue.

The last database I used for my comics was a program I created using Dataperfect back in 1992. That old program did not even have the capability of using a mouse, only a keyboard. It's a pain because every time I want to use it, I have to load Oracle Virtual machine and run it under an older 32 bit operating system. Yeah, time to upgrade.

So if LibreOffice's base program doesn't do everything I need, then I'll be searching again. Sigh, if only Dataperfect still existed and was usable in a modern computer.

A great product would be the program GPAnalysis uses. I would gladly pay a monthly subscription so my data base of comics could access price changes. However, I'm not giving them or any 3rd party access to my database.

I've been using Excel to manage my comics for nearly 20 years. It is customized with formulas and filters to suit my needs.

I use it to track issues, condition, creator info, purchasing, CGC submissions, selling, consignments, costs and profits. Cataloguing is work that you have to stay on top of, but in the end I'm able to access anything about my collection quickly.

Downside is that it is not suited to mobile devices.

Try comicspriceguide.com.  Their database allows you to enter grades for raw comics and slabbed comics, and it also keeps up with the values. There are a variety of reports that can be printed, and you can even assign your comics to specific boxes. I think it costs about $50/year for the full membership. It's not perfect, but they are always making improvements and listen to the community.

On 7/21/2022 at 9:20 PM, BabaLament said:

@Upgrayedd2Agreed. I'm currently using covrprice online input, but it doesn't allow for a printable inventory. Best thing I've found so far, hoping a boardie has a printable solution.

Have you tried CLZ app. Ive been using it for a couple years to archive my collection and it works great.

Bonus for you is if you already have a cvrprice subscription they will be linking up to it in about a month or 2 so all the values you get there will be on clz app.  once they get that going. 

Yeah, I put a chunk of my collection into a 4 column Excel sheet that I then imported into CLZ (I don't need a ton of info in my comic tracking).  It was real fast and easy to do and I now have the important part of my collection on hand at all times.  CLZ is pretty good!

I think the way to do it is to use CLZ, which I haven’t tried yet, or other app and if there is a note field add a 3 or four letter code to a notes field that you write on your boxes.  There must be one right?  It would work well for short boxes but less well for long boxes.

By the way, does anyone know if there’s a way to export from CLZ to a spreadsheet format?  That would be nice.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Like most other boardie’s I use a excel sheet and add info like description which are like the cgc notes first app. Grades price I bought it for. Where I bought it from, in case I want to reach out to people who might have given me a good deal when looking for something specific in the future..