• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC 2022 Report or How My Feet Hurt
2 2

88 posts in this topic

On 7/25/2022 at 4:29 PM, Bumble Kitty said:

There were a couple of books that I thought had crazy prices on them.  There were other books that were priced right that I was interested in, but I could not afford.  When I went back to look at them, they were sold.

For me, my best deals were with Bunky.  I was treated very well.  In my emotional happiness, I forgot to take pics of his booth.  doh!

many of us love @Bunky Brian and his brother! so glad you scored some deals. 

generally in public, like here, dealers are fairly vocal when the market is strong, and pretty silent when things are dead. and i understand why too. 

Thanks for a great report. Looks like you had a great time, and that the comic side of SDCC isn't dead just yet. All good news! 

On 7/25/2022 at 4:29 PM, Bumble Kitty said:

There were a couple of books that I thought had crazy prices on them.  There were other books that were priced right that I was interested in, but I could not afford.  When I went back to look at them, they were sold.

For me, my best deals were with Bunky.  I was treated very well.  In my emotional happiness, I forgot to take pics of his booth.  doh!

Thanks for the report! Bunky Brothers are the best. Those guys are so cool and always have a nice selection of books and/or Aurora Models.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:25 AM, Bumble Kitty said:

I wrote this report because it is all doom and gloom on the boards.  Maybe  so, but this particular show on this particular weekend was fun and upbeat. 

On 7/25/2022 at 10:32 PM, Math Teacher said:

Thank you for your great report. I hope to continue to live vicariously through you in the future. (thumbsu

In my case it's more than the expense, just a case of knowing my limitations, and that something like this would absolutely do me in.  I'm someone else who likes these reports, looking at images at a distance, experiencing it vicariously too.  For me, that's enough at this stage.  Thanks for the opportunity.

Appreciated.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/25/2022 at 5:34 PM, Ken Aldred said:

In my case it's more than the expense, just a case of knowing my limitations, and that something like this would absolutely do me in.  I'm someone else who likes these reports, looking at images at a distance, experiencing it vicariously too.  For me, that's enough at this stage.  Thanks for the opportunity.

Appreciated.

I hear that.  I didn't even go to SDCC but still made a point to buy something comic related over the weekend simply because of all the conversation and social media posts.  I worry about maintaining restraint should I ever physically be there.

On 7/25/2022 at 3:10 PM, Bumble Kitty said:

Brad from FVF Comics had a the pleasure of holding a grail.  Apparently an older collector was trying to get an appraisal on his book.

Pic 45.JPG

Pic Brad.JPG

Is that the same ac1 book that showed up at cgc Instagram reel?

also nice report! Was fun to read through this! 

Edited by Krismusic

Cafe 222 looks familiar.  If it is the place with amazing stuffed French Toast, then I agree, it's great.  

In your pictures I noticed a significant amount of EC books, Horror books and other less-than-key Golden age.  Is that a potential sign of where interest in the market is moving?  Or is that maybe just what you prefer to take pictures of...or maybe just the norm for SDCC?

On 7/25/2022 at 10:49 PM, Nick Furious said:

Cafe 222 looks familiar.  If it is the place with amazing stuffed French Toast, then I agree, it's great.  

Is Cafe 222 the place on Broadway where u have to walk up some stairs to enter? Great breakfast spot with reasonable prices.

Also for SDCC virgins, the great pics in this topic do not even seem to show the SECOND floor where there have traditionally been more artist, inker, painter, comic and book writer :x signings, art auction and toy/sculpture exhibits.

Great photos, and a nice report. Thanks for letting us know how it was! 

On 7/25/2022 at 10:49 PM, Nick Furious said:

In your pictures I noticed a significant amount of EC books, Horror books and other less-than-key Golden age.  Is that a potential sign of where interest in the market is moving?  Or is that maybe just what you prefer to take pictures of...or maybe just the norm for SDCC?

Yup, stuffed French toast, Pumpkin waffles, strawberry shortcake waffles...  :cloud9:

I took pictures of random books that were right in front of me.  I would not try to use that to figure out where the collecting trends are headed.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:53 AM, aardvark88 said:

Is Cafe 222 the place on Broadway where u have to walk up some stairs to enter? Great breakfast spot with reasonable prices.

Also for SDCC virgins, the great pics in this topic do not even seem to show the SECOND floor where there have traditionally been more artist, inker, painter, comic and book writer :x signings, art auction and toy/sculpture exhibits.

Yeah, there is so much going on in this convention.  I didn't show the autograph signing area on the second floor.  There is so much cosplay and some of it is very clever.  Then there is the programming.  You could spend all four days going from panel to panel...

Ive thought about going for years. Now that I can afford to, I really dont think I want too.
It doesn't seem to be the kind of comic book show I want to go to anymore.

Honestly it seems more an entertainment con with some comic book dealers. 

I think all stick to my smaller shows and one big one like Chicago or STL every year or so.

On 7/25/2022 at 11:35 AM, RSFoster said:

This is a fantastic report!  I was set to go but cancelled last minute because of the mask mandate-- I already have minor asthma and I can't breath with a mask on.

I hear ya. I was not planning on going, but even if I were, that mandate would have prevented it. For physical and other reasons.