• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 8:49 AM, Jimmy Linguini said:

Why did she join into the Dylan bashing anyways pointing out his feedback did she have any relevant information about Dylan? no.  It was for clout online. So yeah..

I'm unaware of any of that, nor do I know who Dylan is. 

I have nothing against her. I don't know her.  I'm just enjoying watching how the people involved are responding to it. 

On 8/10/2022 at 8:42 AM, MGH said:

It's 100% the grade.. What's the point of being a certification company that has almost undeniable optics of having said certification up for sale? 

There's no value for the end user seeking to purchase a legitimate product that has been certified to be of  a particular standard if those standards can be bought.  I e. It seems we now you have to go and DYOR to make sure you haven't got a bootleg graded as a legit comic. 

Given that there is not one other 9.9 or 10 of this issue, these  all magically appeared from those unsold ones at the bottom of the pile,   still attained prefect score after being  butchered with additional staples  it's hard to understand where the value lies for customer choosing  to slab their book beyond paying for a pretty blue label. 

I disagree that it's "100% the grade". It's not only the grade, but also the alteration done not by the publisher, but a store owner. Sure, the grade aspect can hold a bit more weight, but it's not just the grade and it's also the color of the label. The very first thing that would have been looked at by the certification company is the modification to the book. Before grading was even done, the graders would have noticed the acetate cover and flagged the book with a different color label and then proceeded to grade it. Then we get to the additional staples since that's directly tied to the additional cover which would drop the grade depending on the label color (as it's my understanding that a Green label would allow the books to be graded ignoring the addition of the acetate cover and staples.) Call it 60/40 for grade/label color. 

1. Book arrives to grader.
  2. Grader looks at book and notices extra staples and the acetate cover.
  3. Grader researches database and finds no acetate cover variant.
  4. Grader checks box for Green Label
  5. Grader proceeds to grade book.
  6. Grader completes grading and sends to next grader.
  7. Books arrive to second grader.
  8. Next grader repeats steps 2-6.
  9. Next grader sends to final grader.
  10. Final grader reviews everything and the grade is assigned.
  11. Book is sent to imaging/slabbing/whatever.

That's my understanding of how the grading process is conducted and as should have been applied to these specific books. Additionally, if these were indeed graded (and slabbed?) at the show,  were there more than one grader since that's something that I thought CGC did...more than one person looks at and grades each book that is. Either way, there's an obvious failure in consistency, or like everyone seems to agree on, Black Flag paid for specific grades. If that is indeed true, the books should essentially include an asterisk 10*, 9.9*, 9.8*... in which the back of the label (and a notation in the registry/census) would include something like "10* - *Book grade is unofficial as part of a promotion and does not indicate true grade of book."  I believe this would be important for books like this (on the off chance it happens again), while not necessary for the "invisible" book since that's obviously a gimmick (though for consistency sake, it should have the same notation because we have to put "caution hot" on hot things.)

Again, my opinion/thoughts.

On 8/10/2022 at 7:45 AM, Kevin Boyd said:

While I do have an opinion on this, I’m paid to give it to the boss first and let him make a decision.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:46 AM, Jimmy Linguini said:

Don't the people that run C2E2 aka Fan Expo have accounts on the boards? Just tag them. They're nice.

:popcorn:

On 8/10/2022 at 9:12 AM, Lirion said:

I disagree that it's "100% the grade". It's not only the grade, but also the alteration done not by the publisher, but a store owner. Sure, the grade aspect can hold a bit more weight, but it's not just the grade and it's also the color of the label.

Like everyone, I have issues with the blue label.  It makes no sense at all.  And I understand that you disagree with it being 100% the grade, but for me... If these grades were bought (and everything is pointing that way), thus throwing the credibility of all grades out the window... I would have to agree that becomes the most important thing. 

If the grades have no credibility.. then the color of the label they're printed on is completely moot. 

On 8/6/2022 at 9:38 PM, darkstar said:

Retailer and event variants are garbage. 

the pandemic and pre-pandemic brought a wave of comic book influencers and new youtubers trying to cash in on the new wave rookie collectors. modern stuff is straight out over hype. 

@Lirion. If we are aiming to believe  those grades have been bought with no identification marker.. How many before, and for how long has this practice existed

What value is that for the consumer? 

Why even bother getting a graded comic of there's no way to know if grade was earned or bought? 

100% about the grade.. It doesn't have to have a green label.. It could be a 6.0 blue with actual record of defects or higher score green for those who want to imagine what grade might be of the book wasnt altered from original condition.. But that grade needs to be legit and about the book, and not about who asked for the book to be slabbed  and what they paid 

Edited by MGH

On 8/10/2022 at 6:47 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Also false. I'm not going to be submitting through my LCS - or buying their products on the aftermarket - again until they do the right thing; Admit they're wrong and not do it again.

My context is related to the bottom line. This issue will not generate enough disdain for CGC that enough people will stop using them and affect change.

Sure, folks like you and me will either stop grading entirely or temporarily but when talking about a business as large as CGC, it takes more than 1 fiscal quarter in the red to see real changes that folks on here are chatting about. What "could" very well happen is that if Twitter, CGC forums, IG, TikTok, youtube, (insert other social media or internet apparatus) all catch fire with this issue that it is just too much to ignore the public outcry. That "could" happen and also what "could" happen is that someone on CGC end has a change of heart and actually does address this issue publicly in greater detail. At the end of the day, in my humble opinion that just might be incorrect but will share anyway, I think most folks just want transparency from CGC so that they can make a better decision to continue to do business with them or not.