• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 1:05 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Referring to the vast majority of people in the hobby.

You really are starting to sound like a rookie newbie today. :makepoint:

I’m ok with that.  Better than sounding like an egotistical blowhard:makepoint:

On 8/10/2022 at 4:32 AM, Lirion said:

But did CGC witness the artist creation of the cover? If I have a COA for a signature from a book I buy signed directly from an artist (we'll use Campbell for example) and I send it in for grading, it gets a green label and a full caps notation of "NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER". By that logic alone, this should have a green label and "ACETATE COVER ADDED BY 3RD PARTY" or some such.

Additionally, the artist may have created it, but essentially "a customer" attached the cover causing the non-manufactured alteration. 

I'm guessing that the original cover was legally procured by Black Flag and that they ended up having a number of leftover unsold copies so they went back to the well and added the acetate covers.  They probably sold it to CGC as something like we paid the artist commission fees and have the original purchase order from Marvel and the publisher for these undistributed copies and want to market them as a new variant.  I think it's a slightly different situation than an autographed or sketched copy.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:46 AM, Jimmy Linguini said:

Don't the people that run C2E2 aka Fan Expo have accounts on the boards? Just tag them. They're nice.

I don't follow people here to know what they do in real life.  You're all just a mish mash of letters that talk to me about the things I love.  :cheers:

On 8/10/2022 at 6:54 AM, Willbert said:

Well eBay has started blocking listing of this bootleg book as being COUNTERFEIT. The gentleman that bought a CGC 9.8 from Black Flag has posted on IG that eBay removed his listing for policy violation. Ouch. 

I feel like it takes a lot for eBay to take action on anything.  I've reported counterfeit items in the past (like forged Stan Lee listings) and they NEVER do anything about it.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:02 AM, KB81 said:

CGC said that the artist was either involved or did the acetate art, is that correct? 

Correct, and Clayton's Instagram was promoting it as well.  I think I saw a back cover image of the acetate that might have had Clayton's signature on it, but couldn't quite tell if that was just a photoshop or the real deal.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:17 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wonder if CGC thinks that they've washed their hands of this topic after their last 'official response' that Mike conveyed. That would be ignorant AF.

Only one way to find out.  @CGC Mike, will CGC be making any additional statements in the matter after (hopefully) re-assessing the information from the community and other sources (Marvel)?

On 8/10/2022 at 9:54 AM, Willbert said:

Well eBay has started blocking listing of this bootleg book as being COUNTERFEIT. The gentleman that bought a CGC 9.8 from Black Flag has posted on IG that eBay removed his listing for policy violation. Ouch. 

Do you have a link to BlackFlag's Instagram? 

On 8/10/2022 at 1:08 PM, october said:

No it isn't. ???

This is still the best place to talk about comics, and I still like comics. 

Beyond that, CGC was a company I really liked and used regularly, and it that provided a great service. I keep hoping they will change direction, but that hope is getting dimmer with each successive year. 

C’mon Andy.  Clearly you can’t watch Football if you don’t actually play. 

On 8/10/2022 at 12:05 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Referring to the vast majority of people in the hobby.

You really are starting to sound like a rookie newbie today. :makepoint:

Yeah, I'm not gonna act like they won't still be getting my business despite this being a terrible look for them. As long as no real competition exists, this is the only game in town. Sorry not sorry.

I DO NOT collect Modern books but kind of want this stupid book now. 

If I send this to CGC, will they grade it?

I wish journalists like the Deep Throat guys existed because this would make a great expose' for print journalism or 60 Minutes or American Greed.

Of course this generation's Woodward and Bernstein are YouTubers who are a tight, chummy community and who are part of the central problem here, so never mind.  😤 

Edited by Monstertruck97

On 8/10/2022 at 10:08 AM, october said:

No it isn't. ???

This is still the best place to talk about comics, and I still like comics. 

Beyond that, CGC was a company really liked and used regularly, and it that provided a great service. I keep hoping they will change direction, but that hope is getting dimmer with each successive year. 

No, this is a place that CGC allows you post.  Seriously Andy? lol

This is a marketing platform that allows people to even criticize them on their own platform.  I would argue allowing people to post/sell here is a privilege, especially those people who dont even submit to CGC and talk negative constantly about the company.

I am more annoyed at the actions of Black Flag. 

On 8/10/2022 at 6:35 AM, october said:

It's honestly hard to believe, but the chances of getting a 10, three 9.9's and the rest 9.8's on THREE 10 book subs in a row approaches zero without collusion. 

I've been on these boards for 18 years and there have been plenty of scandals, but selling grades (and I don't know what other conclusion to draw) is by far the worst. 

The greed and stupidity and arrogance just ratchet up every year, and will continue, until the whole rotten house of cards collapses like it did in the 90's. 

I find it very hard to believe CGC would sell grades or award 9.9 and 10.0 grades for any reason other than the book is higher grade than 9.8 but these grades seem very suspicious.

Here's the data for Amazing Spider-man #700 2013.  There are 3953 copies graded 9.4 or better.  Zero 9.9 or 10.0.  Zero.  Even if Black Flag comics has the ability to spot 9.9 and 10.0 copies, something I doubt, the odds of having this many copies in higher grade than 9.8 in a small print run is remote.  Anyone have another modern they'd like to check the census on?

Grade Universal Qualified Signature Series Restored
See Detail
  Total
Mint   10.0 0 0 0 0   0
Mint   9.9 0 0 0 0   0
Near Mint/Mint   9.8 1759 14 1014 2   2789
Near Mint +   9.6 438 10 355 1   804
Near Mint   9.4 172 15 167 6  

On 8/10/2022 at 12:19 PM, thehumantorch said:

I find it very hard to believe CGC would sell grades or award 9.9 and 10.0 grades for any reason other than the book is higher grade than 9.8 but these grades seem very suspicious.

Here's the data for Amazing Spider-man #700 2013.  There are 3953 copies graded 9.4 or better.  Zero 9.9 or 10.0.  Zero.  Even if Black Flag comics has the ability to spot 9.9 and 10.0 copies, something I doubt, the odds of having this many copies in higher grade than 9.8 in a small print run is remote.  Anyone have another modern they'd like to check the census on?

Grade Universal Qualified Signature Series Restored
See Detail
  Total
Mint   10.0 0 0 0 0   0
Mint   9.9 0 0 0 0   0
Near Mint/Mint   9.8 1759 14 1014 2   2789
Near Mint +   9.6 438 10 355 1   804
Near Mint   9.4 172 15 167 6  

Therein lies an interesting question.  If Black Flag had flagged (no pun intended) these particular copies as primo 9.9/10.0 candidates, why did they sit as unsold stock for over a year, only to be turned into 6.0s once holes were punched in them?  If they were truly mint copies at time of printing, they'd have immediately gone into slabs.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:09 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

That last line.  Just unbelievable 

It got worse. 

After a while they started requiring a $100 purchase of other stuff to then be able to buy this variant. 

Wasn't there but heard this from people who were.