• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 10:56 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

This.

CGC has been around for over 20 years.  How much longer do people need CGC to hold their hand when grading comics?

I think it goes past the grading issue, and if you look at posters, video games, VHS tapes - people love encapsulated containers that someone else provides. It's some sort of latent thing in our DNA. If you went back to caveman times, I'm sure they built twig boxes to hold their sabre tooth tiger collectible teeth to show off to other cavemen. There's no other explanation to why we love plastic encased things (of which I am totally in that crowd).

On 8/10/2022 at 11:43 AM, NewWorldOrder said:
On 8/10/2022 at 11:41 AM, october said:

YOU might not, but some people do.

Shrugging off someone likely buying grades takes a level of cynicism that impresses even me!

So who are you going to use going forward?

We aren't going forward.

On 8/10/2022 at 10:29 AM, Aqua Lantern said:

I haven't had to pull that quote out for a while. I actually enjoyed your "stop submitting drek" thread lol

Thanks buddy boy! :peace:

Well to be fair I really dont post here anymore cause it has been pretty boring on here for a while.

You many like my whatnot shows?  We just talked about comics and chill.  Yes I did talk about this story which made for a fun show. 

On 8/10/2022 at 1:21 PM, mattn792 said:

Therein lies an interesting question.  If Black Flag had flagged (no pun intended) these particular copies as primo 9.9/10.0 candidates, why did they sit as unsold stock for over a year, only to be turned into 6.0s once holes were punched in them?  If they were truly mint copies at time of printing, they'd have immediately gone into slabs.

I may be completely wrong here, but doesnt CGC only grade the acetate cover for these? If so then its the acetate itself getting the 9.9/10 and not the underlying book.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:09 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Link?

No clue where I saw it. Looked in a couple places and don't see it. It was one of the owners personal IG. Basically it wasn't reasoning for doing it but more "I don't have time for the haters".

On 8/10/2022 at 11:43 AM, Gaard said:

CGC must've known what they were doing was completely wrong and was going to make them look bad. They ain't stupid. ...

If you assume they aren't stupid then you might come to the conclusion that they must have known.

But if you assume they are stupid...

On 8/10/2022 at 10:12 AM, manetteska said:

What about all of the other copies still on eBay?

Does the specific listing have to be reported to be taken down?

people should report each one

On 8/10/2022 at 12:19 PM, thehumantorch said:

I find it very hard to believe CGC would sell grades or award 9.9 and 10.0 grades for any reason other than the book is higher grade than 9.8 but these grades seem very suspicious.

Here's the data for Amazing Spider-man #700 2013.  There are 3953 copies graded 9.4 or better.  Zero 9.9 or 10.0.  Zero.  Even if Black Flag comics has the ability to spot 9.9 and 10.0 copies, something I doubt, the odds of having this many copies in higher grade than 9.8 in a small print run is remote.  Anyone have another modern they'd like to check the census on?

Grade Universal Qualified Signature Series Restored
See Detail
  Total
Mint   10.0 0 0 0 0   0
Mint   9.9 0 0 0 0   0
Near Mint/Mint   9.8 1759 14 1014 2   2789
Near Mint +   9.6 438 10 355 1   804
Near Mint   9.4 172 15 167 6  

what are the numbers for the facsimile of UF4, the original book that this is attached to, that might be a good start

On 8/10/2022 at 12:31 PM, Shpeeler said:

I may be completely wrong here, but doesnt CGC only grade the acetate cover for these? If so then its the acetate itself getting the 9.9/10 and not the underlying book.

That would make no sense.  Say you send in a Wizard ACE 181 with a pristine acetate cover, but you ripped out half the interior pages and put 3/4" tears in the rest of them.  Should that book get a mint designation?

On 8/10/2022 at 1:31 PM, Shpeeler said:

Which would mean that the cover is the other thing that impacts grade. 

On 8/10/2022 at 1:31 PM, Shpeeler said:

No, the whole book is graded. Pages and all.