• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2022 at 8:42 AM, DrunkWooky said:

This. Unless waived, contractual rights are in addition to all rights of the parties under statute and common law. 

Well yeah, but now that I've read ahead, I realized that you already said this much more thoroughly than I did and I just wasted my time!  :pullhair:

:foryou:

On 8/11/2022 at 10:08 AM, FFB said:

The last part is the part that bothers me and some others the most.  The copyright infringement part is getting more ink right now because we're debating the issues (it's fun), but the truly troubling aspect of this whole thing is the arrangement Black Flag had to get these books graded with not just blue labels, but with what seem to be an unlikely and inflated number of 9.9s and 10s, given that the original facsimile editions never had a single 9.9 or higher when submitted to CGC in far greater numbers.  

I’m in this category - and there’s a ton of crosstalk in the thread - but this seems to me to be the biggest infraction of the whole episode. The CGC part of all this is like the Magic Bullet part of the discussion. Super important, but getting muddied with all the other problems.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:13 AM, FFB said:

Well yeah, but now that I've read ahead, I realized that you already said this much more thoroughly than I did and I just wasted my time!  :pullhair:

:foryou:

It’s kinda hard to stay up to speed on this thread, it’s got some serious Friday thread momentum.

And as an aside, the acronym FFB on our restaurant tickets applies to cooking bacon completely burnt and crispy: Fry the F&$@ outta the Bacon: FFB

lol

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 8/11/2022 at 12:12 PM, billsid said:

Maybe our vast amounts of lawyers on here can explain to me the outcome of CGC's part in the obvious grading collusion 1x10.0 3x9.9 and 6x9.8???

It’s not Friday yet. All we know is that CGC stands by the grades with their heels fully dug in, and CGC compared an apple to an orange when it issued a second response on this matter. 

On 8/11/2022 at 12:12 PM, billsid said:

Maybe our vast amounts of lawyers on here can explain to me the outcome of CGC's part in the obvious grading collusion 1x10.0 3x9.9 and 6x9.8???

Well the outcome will be that CGC will stand by the integrity of their grading and maintain that each and every one of those book was fairly and accurately graded and passed multiple quality control tests, and...it's just an interesting coincidence that the number of high grades came out in the manner that they did, and...every grader has their own individual standards which might vary from grader to grader, and...you can't prove that they did anything shady and...

Actually, CGC is going to say precisely nothing about this part of the story.  

On 8/11/2022 at 10:48 AM, DrunkWooky said:

The difference is enforcement. 

No. 

The difference as far as the art's infringement.  Acetate cover vs actually drawing on it.  Not whether Marvel takes action or not. 

Maybe you covered that, I didn't read past this sentence. 

On 8/11/2022 at 10:18 AM, Axelrod said:

Actually, CGC is going to say precisely nothing about this part of the story.  

One could say: they are trying to avoid THE ULTIMATE FALLOUT of the situation.

5106511B-B16B-45C5-98E1-02A54F5E83F7.gif

On 8/11/2022 at 12:04 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Pretty much, yeah. And, CGC graded it with a blue label. 

This is the important bit. The rest is just distracting from this. Especially important when ebay is pulling these for being bootleg but CGC certified it..pretty big disconnect. 

On 8/11/2022 at 10:23 AM, FFB said:

Black Flag on not limiting quantities to buyers:

I see business opportunities, I take it… Our books are dope, our books make people money.

:facepalm:

On 8/11/2022 at 10:17 AM, bc said:

So what we wind up with is a trifecta of stupidity:

• The store exclusive is a manufactured collectible
  • The acetate cover is a manufactured collectible on a manufactured collectible
  • The CGC slabbing is a manufactured collectible of a manufactured collectible of a manufactured collectible

:ohnoez:

-bc

Acetateception!

image.thumb.jpeg.6ea4db3a9f534e119b1bdf1ec16a417f.jpeg

On 8/11/2022 at 12:29 PM, A. Schaeffer said:

This is the important bit. The rest is just distracting from this. Especially important when ebay is pulling these for being bootleg but CGC certified it..pretty big disconnect. 

That and the very odd coincidence that the EXACT same grades were "provided" by CGC across every title submitted.

-bc

On 8/11/2022 at 12:14 PM, Dr. Balls said:

It’s kinda hard to stay up to speed on this thread, it’s got some serious Friday thread momentum.

And as an aside, the acronym FFB on our restaurant tickets applies to cooking bacon completely burnt and crispy: Fry the F&$@ outta the Bacon: FFB

lol

I don’t understand anyone who DOESN’T eat it that way! :x

On 8/11/2022 at 10:37 AM, Prince Namor said:

I don’t understand anyone who DOESN’T eat it that way! :x

Oh man, soft and chewy for me. At least until I hit 70 years old and can’t eat it that way.

I gotta wonder if anyone is now going to try having an artist make something on a clear overlay, staple that to a book and send it in as a custom variant now that CGC has weighed in saying that as long as the artist designed it it's "manufactured"
That can't be a fun pandora's box to open