• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

This just makes me glad I got out before variant covers became a thing.

Because, knowing myself, the completionist in me would have felt compelled to try and get all the different variants of books I collected.

And I would have either (1) gone broke, or (2) gone insane at what's happening today (and for a long time now, I know)

I hear a lot of videos that say, "it's like cgc is saying yadda yadda"

Meanwhile cgc hasn't changed a stance on married covers, as much as the joke "acetate it" goes around.

I believe a lot of focus has been lost speculating on what cgc meant when they ok'd this, which will become a perfect scapegoat for them not to address what they were ACTUALLY thinking and doing.

Like the owl the world may never know

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/11/2022 at 1:09 PM, Axelrod said:

I don't really even understand the comparison to "Bad Idea" in that, my understanding is that was clearly a joke product.  

I get people were concerned by the fact that Bad Idea got to dictate what grades went on the "joke" invisible books, but, really, it's not at all comparable I don't think.  

And the publisher was directly involved. So it's not really comparable to this situation.

On 8/11/2022 at 1:16 PM, Lord Gemini said:

No, it's a difference of opinion as to what people want. I like cool art as well as a good story, and if I like a variant, I'll get it. I don't see why people can't let others like what they like without the condescension.

You can buy whatever you want.

There are people who buy Macafee for their computer - they pay a guy through an e-mail message out of the Middle East and they feel they're protected and cool. 

Same thing.

See variants were ramped up, NOT to give us more freedom of choice or to BLESS us with more ART...

They were created to get retailers to buy more copies of comics no one was buying in the first place. They called them INCENTIVES.

But 25 copies get a special incentive. Buy 50 copies get a different incentive. Etc.

Marvel upped their print runs and made more money...

The retailers sold those incentives as VARIANTS for more money and to cover the costs, and CUSTOMERS were tricked into believing that those variants were RARE... believing that a 1:50 was actually something that was printed once for every 50 copies of the regular cover. It's NOT. Marvel would print as many copies of that variant as they wanted.

Forum members here on Modern threads would argue that they WERE 1 for every 50 to LIE about it and make those books seem more valuable. So they could trick people into buying them.

The whole process has been about DECEIT of the COLLECTOR from the very beginning.

So yeah. Go on and buy what you want.

Just understand what you're getting. 

On 8/11/2022 at 12:49 PM, Prince Namor said:

You can buy whatever you want.

There are people who buy Macafee for their computer - they pay a guy through an e-mail message out of the Middle East and they feel they're protected and cool. 

Same thing.

See variants were ramped up, NOT to give us more freedom of choice or to BLESS us with more ART...

They were created to get retailers to buy more copies of comics no one was buying in the first place. They called them INCENTIVES.

But 25 copies get a special incentive. Buy 50 copies get a different incentive. Etc.

Marvel upped their print runs and made more money...

The retailers sold those incentives as VARIANTS for more money and to cover the costs, and CUSTOMERS were tricked into believing that those variants were RARE... believing that a 1:50 was actually something that was printed once for every 50 copies of the regular cover. It's NOT. Marvel would print as many copies of that variant as they wanted.

Forum members here on Modern threads would argue that they WERE 1 for every 50 to LIE about it and make those books seem more valuable. So they could trick people into buying them.

The whole process has been about DECEIT of the COLLECTOR from the very beginning.

So yeah. Go on and buy what you want.

Just understand what you're getting. 

You think I don't know why they were created? Of course it's about money. I don't care.

On 8/10/2022 at 7:00 AM, Sigur Ros said:

FYI, if you want to Stan her some more, for the past couple days she's been reposting her Action run and 'Tec 27 again.  For the umpteenth time. 

Can't imagine why she's flexing so large right now.........

Because shes a loser

Have to wonder where the people showing off their corvettes and 5000 sqft house go after hearing crickets here about their bragging

On 8/11/2022 at 1:11 PM, Dr. Balls said:

You can eyeroll all you want, but when CGC has spent 20+ years promoting the fact that their grading is superior, that they are trying to improve TATs - and black-and-white evidence of that specifically contradicts those two concepts, people are going to be bent out of shape and vocal.

it’s not about buying or not buying - I’d point out that we have 100 pages of discussion that show that it’s more than that - but I don’t want to appear condescending. 

I wasn't talking about CGC. I was talking about variant covers in general.