• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2022 at 4:20 PM, jsilverjanet said:
On 8/16/2022 at 1:29 PM, billsid said:

CGC

Can't Grow Cahones 

CGC

Can Grade Crap

I like this game

I still like mine.

CGC

Cash Grab Company. 

On 8/16/2022 at 5:56 PM, Jimmy Linguini said:

Also, why does CGC have a lawyer on retainer that is specialized in "free speech" law?

Because they’d rather have Zaid working for them than against them. 

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 8/16/2022 at 6:15 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Because they rather have Zaid working for them than against them. 

Given the nature and volume of his workload, I’m surprised he keeps them as a client. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 8/16/2022 at 10:01 AM, Jimmy Linguini said:

When was the last time Crain worked for Marvel?

There is a reason he's been on a road tour for three years. Marvel now regards him as a retailer.

These books were being used to advertise and legitimize the new Black Flag publishing company.  Marvel is not ok with that.

On 8/16/2022 at 4:48 PM, Kripsys99 said:

"We're Sorry"

A message to the comic community from CGC President Matt Nelson regarding "Acetate Gate":

"On behalf of both CGC and myself, I would like to extend a sincere apology to the comic collecting community for CGC's role in what has come to be termed 'Acetate Gate.' To put it as simply as possible: we screwed up, and we're sorry. When Black Flag approached us regarding the possibility of CGC grading and encapsulating their limited release acetate cover variant of Ultimate Fallout #4, we saw an opportunity to bring something novel to our customers, while simultaneously cultivating a new revenue stream for the company. However, we failed to think through the consequences of grading a dealer produced variant as if it was a publisher produced variant, and the effect that would have on the comic collecting community's confidence in our grading standards. We should have thought it through, but we didn't. The Black Flag variants, essentially being "bootlegged" copies, should never have been graded by CGC in the first place, and certainly should not have been given Universal grades without notations. In recognition of same, we will be removing already graded copies from the census, and offering refunds to anyone who sends the already encapsulated books back to us (the books themselves will be returned once cracked from their cases). I would also like to address the issue of BF variants receiving an inordinate number of 9.9 an and 10 grades. Most grade deductions for modern comics submitted to CGC are attributable to imperfections in the outer cover. In the case of the BF variants, we assigned grades based on the acetate outer cover of the books. Acetate, being a more resilient medium than paper, resulted in a substantially higher number of the comics being graded 9.8, 9.9, and 10. CGC has never, and will never, "sell grades" - but under the circumstances, I can understand why some of you may have questioned same. We know that our handling of this matter has caused many in the comic collecting community - including many of our biggest supporters - to question our judgement, our business model, and our integrity. We understand your concerns, and take them seriously. Please rest assured that we care as much about the integrity of our grades as you do, and that we will never allow something like this to happen again. In closing, I want to thank the comic collecting community for caring enough about this issue, and our company, to hold us to account for our role in this matter. We look forward to the opportunity to prove to all of you that CGC remains the preeminent comic grading company, and that we remain worthy of being the gold standard for serious collectors world-wide.

Sincerely,

Matt"

Just to be clear, this is not the response CGC ACTUALLY provided, it's the one they SHOULD have provided in the first place.

After reading this entire thread, I just got tired of the condescending breadcrumbs CGC was tossing down to us plebs justifying their highly questionable actions, and decided to fan-fic the apology I would have liked to have seen in the first place.

Matt, if you decide to use this, I can PM you my address so you can send a cheque.

Dang, I thought that was real for a second!  Woulda been nice if it was!  Amazingly done!

On 8/16/2022 at 5:15 PM, CJ Design said:

Repost...because I can. BTW, Anyone remember this classic slogan? 

cgc.jpg

Why does this remind my of gnr? 

Shshshanananananannana knees, knees lol

On 8/16/2022 at 6:19 PM, Towhead said:

Zaid used to be awesome on this site. After Borock left CGC he had several drunken arguments with Zaid and they were mighty informative and entertaining! That ended when CGC retained him :tonofbricks:

I was so disappointed when Mark took CGC as a client. :(

On 8/16/2022 at 6:06 PM, The Meta said:

Yeah cause getting a week off for saying minority groups like PC bros and certain political radical groups are beyond stupid is encouraging to change my point of view and rethink the human being that I am, instead of screwing up my ability to buy books off the boards and miss out.

No one cares if you change your point of view.  If someone wants to be a great person by the standards of the host then be a great person.  If someone wants to be a disgusting person by the standards of the host then be a disgusting person.  But if that someone chooses to be a disgusting person it has been made very clear that they are to be that way somewhere else.   

If you want to voice your point of view and that is more important than the ability to buy books then you are free to choose what is more important to you.  If you want to buy books and not miss out then keep your point of view to yourself or bring it over to another website like Vintage Comics is doing.   It's your choice it seems.    

On 8/16/2022 at 6:06 PM, The Meta said:

Buzz, I don't even know what free speech is. What I do know, is a lot of people are complete children who handle criticism with emotional blackmail and temper tantrums

You are way too invested then if you feel people are emotionally blackmailing you. 

On 8/16/2022 at 4:48 PM, Kripsys99 said:

"We're Sorry"

A message to the comic community from CGC President Matt Nelson regarding "Acetate Gate":

"On behalf of both CGC and myself, I would like to extend a sincere apology to the comic collecting community for CGC's role in what has come to be termed 'Acetate Gate.' To put it as simply as possible: we screwed up, and we're sorry. When Black Flag approached us regarding the possibility of CGC grading and encapsulating their limited release acetate cover variant of Ultimate Fallout #4, we saw an opportunity to bring something novel to our customers, while simultaneously cultivating a new revenue stream for the company. However, we failed to think through the consequences of grading a dealer produced variant as if it was a publisher produced variant, and the effect that would have on the comic collecting community's confidence in our grading standards. We should have thought it through, but we didn't. The Black Flag variants, essentially being "bootlegged" copies, should never have been graded by CGC in the first place, and certainly should not have been given Universal grades without notations. In recognition of same, we will be removing already graded copies from the census, and offering refunds to anyone who sends the already encapsulated books back to us (the books themselves will be returned once cracked from their cases). I would also like to address the issue of BF variants receiving an inordinate number of 9.9 an and 10 grades. Most grade deductions for modern comics submitted to CGC are attributable to imperfections in the outer cover. In the case of the BF variants, we assigned grades based on the acetate outer cover of the books. Acetate, being a more resilient medium than paper, resulted in a substantially higher number of the comics being graded 9.8, 9.9, and 10. CGC has never, and will never, "sell grades" - but under the circumstances, I can understand why some of you may have questioned same. We know that our handling of this matter has caused many in the comic collecting community - including many of our biggest supporters - to question our judgement, our business model, and our integrity. We understand your concerns, and take them seriously. Please rest assured that we care as much about the integrity of our grades as you do, and that we will never allow something like this to happen again. In closing, I want to thank the comic collecting community for caring enough about this issue, and our company, to hold us to account for our role in this matter. We look forward to the opportunity to prove to all of you that CGC remains the preeminent comic grading company, and that we remain worthy of being the gold standard for serious collectors world-wide.

Sincerely,

Matt"

:cloud9: If only...

On 8/16/2022 at 6:33 PM, Buzzetta said:

No one cares if you change your point of view.  If someone wants to be a great person by the standards of the host then be a great person.  If someone wants to be a disgusting person by the standards of the host then be a disgusting person.  But if that someone chooses to be a disgusting person it has been made very clear that they are to be that way somewhere else.   

If you want to voice your point of view and that is more important than the ability to buy books then you are free to choose what is more important to you.  If you want to buy books and not miss out then keep your point of view to yourself or bring it over to another website like Vintage Comics is doing.   It's your choice it seems.    

You are way too invested then if you feel people are emotionally blackmailing you. 

You're way too invested in making this post