• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

• Administrator

We appreciate everyone being patient with our follow-up regarding the Clayton Crain acetate covers. After discussions this past week, CGC will assign a Qualified Signature Series label to comics that contain an acetate cover by Mr. Crain, as well as his signature that has been witnessed by a CGC representative. This also applies to the Ultimate Fallout: Facsimile Edition #4 that sold in C2E2. The grade assigned will take into consideration the grade of the acetate cover as well as the interior book.  For members who have already submitted copies of the Ultimate Fallout issue to CGC, we will extend an opportunity to have Mr. Crain’s signature applied to their copies so they receive the Qualified Signature Series label. If a copy does not exhibit Mr. Crain’s witnessed signature, the book will receive a qualified grade. 

Going forward, CGC will only certify artist-created covers that are first approved by CGC, and those covers must be signed by the artist through the Signature Series program to receive the Qualified Signature Series label. The cover must be created by a published artist.

On 8/22/2022 at 2:48 PM, The Meta said:

Well it makes sense, so a step in the right direction 

So, does this mean copies that have already been graded will be struck from the registry and require a reholder to be considered valid?

Good question. All those 9.9s and 10s are just :screwy:

Good to hear that CGC is doing the right thing especially after reading what the competition did to one of their biggest submitters, Clan McDonald Comics, breaking the chain of custody on 367 books and losing them. 

On 8/23/2022 at 8:05 AM, Axelrod said:

Credit where credit is due, this at least recognizes and addresses 1/2 the issues raised. 

Radio silence as to how the books got the numerical grades they got  in the first place continues, but that was pretty much always going to be the case.

I believe this statement addresses that 

"The grade assigned will take into consideration the grade of the acetate cover as well as the interior book" 

The way I read this,  those books were not graded this way..  Ie,  only graded cover 

On 8/22/2022 at 8:39 PM, MGH said:

I believe this statement addresses that 

"The grade assigned will take into consideration the grade of the acetate cover as well as the interior book" 

The way I read this,  those books were not graded this way..  Ie,  only graded cover 

So the qualified label is simply to ignore the new staple holes?  Being an after market modification, I think it would make more sense to ignore the acetate cover altogether, along with the damage caused by applying it.  Just grade the book underneath, and that’s the qualified grade.(shrug)