• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2022 at 10:57 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The freaking Drizzle be here, yo.

One of my top three favorite all time members of the Wu Tang Clan

• Steelz / Scientist more commonly known as Bobby Digital or even more well known as Rza
  • The Drizzle 
  • U-God

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/23/2022 at 10:59 AM, Superman2006 said:

You state that "The grade has always been dependent on the cover and spine, not the interior pages."

I would change that to "The grade has always been more dependent on the cover and spine, than on the interior pages." As an example, if all interior pages had a noticeable defect, such as a 3 inch tear on some or all pages, or other noticeable issues, such as stains that CGC noticed when doing a page count, then that would presumably impact the overall grade.

I think it depends on the grade though.  A 9.8 cover with stained pages will bring the grade down.  A 4.0 cover with stained pages probably stays a 4.0 though.  But yes, I agree.  More dependent, not solely.   

On 8/23/2022 at 11:13 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Personally, I think SS witnesses should be directly employed by CGC.  It’s a chink in the armour of the SS program to permit  those that witness signatures....to also sell those SS books. 

Video, as you noted previously, would help too. Pretty easy in a world where even grandma has an iphone.

That said, I can only imagine CGC offering to sell you the video of your autograph for 25 bucks....

On 8/19/2022 at 11:53 AM, F For Fake said:

Whoo boy, what a ride! So, I was basically offline from around 8/5 until this past Tuesday, and blissfully unaware of all of the goings on.

Four days later, I am now, as of 2:47PM est on Friday August 19th, the year of our lord 2022, caught up on this 188 page thread. Good gravy.

First of all, excellent work, boardies. This thread has had it all. I've laughed, I've cried, I've cheered, I've booed. Riveting stuff.

Second of all, none of this is surprising, but all of it is disappointing. I think we've all seen the direction CGC has been heading in for some time now. If the people that made the books, and the people that graded the books, and the people that flogged the books, and the people who originally published the books used in the frankensteining, all agree that nothing is wrong, then the rest of us don't have a prayer of seeing any kind of meaningful response. As I've said in the past, it really seems like an overwhelming majority of the people who make their money selling the adventures of do-gooders, never actually read the stories, or learned anything from them. 

This is settled, as far as everyone involved is concerned. This thread will eventually dry up (seems to be heading that way anyway), and the cries on social media will die down, and it will all be over. And CGC will continue their descent into the realm of QVC hucksters. 

Just another circle jerk.

cgc.jpg

43914F75-1250-4E0C-B228-A084B5272818.gif

Well, it's been like pulling teeth getting explanations and eliciting the proper answer despite all contributors here knowing in advance what should have been the correct answer to begin with.  While the incredibly-good-grades-awarded-per-item-graded-ratio will probably never be addressed, it's good to note that we were allowed to continue this thread and speak our minds in what is still a CGC forum.  I'm not sure if the non-focused pressure from other different social media weighed more or less than what was written here but kudos to them for letting us continue.  Kudos also to Mike who had the thankless go-between job, and if he was somehow involved with a bit of coercive troubleshooting involving these decisions then so much the better.

mike.jpg

If the publisher hasn't approved adding an acetate cover, but an established artist does one and you add it on is that okay?  Yes it will have a green label, but will CGC grade something not approved by the publisher, since in the case of UF4 it still has Marvel's name on it.  Do they get to give the go ahead or can a Black Flag just do this on their own?

On 8/23/2022 at 11:30 AM, Motor City Rob said:

My guess is this won't last long.

The owner stopped subbing shortly before/during the start of COVID19 shutdowns, but continued buying slabs for resale if they walked through the door. When the c2e2 drama started 2 weeks ago he put a hold on buying any slabs that came in....a severely over graded ‘CGC 9.8’ copy of The Boys 1 came in last week (looked to be 9.2 or lower) and that sealed the deal.
My guess is that this does last....over the past 5 years we’ve had multiple conversations about our faith (or lack thereof) in impartial grading and encapsulation.

On 8/23/2022 at 12:14 PM, The Drizzle said:

Does CGC slab Tijuana Bibles?

add an acetate cover and who knows

but seriously I don't believe they do, not sure if it's due to the size or the content (adult)

On 8/23/2022 at 1:43 PM, jsilverjanet said:

add an acetate cover and who knows

but seriously I don't believe they do, not sure if it's due to the size or the content (adult)

Earlier this year Mike gave a response that it was more of an authentication issue. 

"So, the general consensus from the graders as to grading these is a hard no.  The reason given is:

They are unidentifiable as to origin and date. They are often hand made. As ambiguous as these are, we just refrain from authenticating them."

On 8/23/2022 at 12:46 PM, Buzzetta said:

Earlier this year Mike gave a response that it was more of an authentication issue. 

"So, the general consensus from the graders as to grading these is a hard no.  The reason given is:

They are unidentifiable as to origin and date. They are often hand made. As ambiguous as these are, we just refrain from authenticating them."

in keeping with the way our current society is, i believe my answer more accurate than yours