• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2022 at 12:03 PM, CGC Mike said:

I found a solution for that.

Testing.

MR., spoon, Spoon, , mess , , , , person_without_enough_empathy, Spoon Pontoon, Tit, person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point, , *spoon*, , 

On 8/25/2022 at 2:02 AM, letsgrumble said:

A few minutes in...

Re:

What does that say about him? 

And what does that say about us?

I watch Brys videos and was actually stunned that he had no idea about the boards. How can you be submitting to CGC yet never even look at our very own dark corner of the internet? Next thing you know we'll all be selling books on TikTok,  asking for grading advice on Twitter or sticking crappily painted poorly misspelled acetate covers on our overstocked/purchased comic books.

Edited by Every Day A Story
More terrible ideas™

On 8/24/2022 at 1:16 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I think it’s been mentioned multiple times

we are a small minority and very isolated 

the folks on is Instagram, YouTube, FB, and Twitter really are the ones who move the needle

I know people here don’t want to hear it but the influencers have the ability to make changes, move markets far more than we do 

To add further

nothing compares to the folks and knowledge on these boards, even though some of those folks don’t post anymore or as much

that being said, it’s easy for people to ignore words/posts especially since there is no real person behind them and often threads like these get littered with off topic posts, which loses the validity of what some of us are saying 

it’s also hard to ignore people actually speaking on video about it. That’s an easier message to understand and hard to avoid (for CGC)

On 8/24/2022 at 2:16 PM, jsilverjanet said:

the folks on is Instagram, YouTube, FB, and Twitter really are the ones who move the needle

I know people here don’t want to hear it but the influencers have the ability to make changes, move markets far more than we do 

For sure. And when it comes to collecting overall, slabs are a niche unto themselves. So, a message board of a slabbing company is a niche within a niche. Pretty small potatoes. Which is a shame, because hidden within the search function of these boards is 20 years worth of valuable comic knowledge. , shared by some of the most knowledgeable comic collectors in the world. Tons of vital information has passed through these boards, but it's so ephemeral, and not easy to find. We need a permanent archive of the important stuff, in an easy-to-access format. It's a shame more people don't know about it, then again, more users tends to dilute the potency of the knowledge pool.

That being said, I do think it's true that for many years, a lot of internet speculators were getting their tips from these forums. Those "heating up on eBay" threads were doing the heavy lifting for a lot of speculators.

On 8/24/2022 at 2:02 PM, letsgrumble said:

I personally am very connected and I have no idea about this chat board.

What does that say about him? 

And what does that say about us?

Any person who says that about themselves is not very connected. 

On 8/24/2022 at 2:11 PM, Every Day A Story said:

I watch Brys videos and was actually stunned that he had no idea about the boards. How can you be submitting to CGC yet never even look at our very own dark corner of the internet? Next thing you know we'll all be selling books on TikTok or asking for grading advice of Facebook.

Exactly. Not only submitting to CGC but also giving expert advice. But his comment has some perspective. There is a greater collecting community on Facebook, Instagram, WhatNot or anyone who buys and sells CGC graded books in these platforms has no *spoon* idea there is a CGC Forum.

On 8/24/2022 at 2:27 PM, jsilverjanet said:

A lot of times when I goggle info on a particular book (like how to tell 1st prints or stuff like that) usually what comes up is a CGC thread from before 

Yes, exactly! Which is a shame, because if I try searching for that stuff on the actual CGC boards search, who knows what I'll find? But nearly any comic question I have, google brings me back here, where some person a lot smarter than me explained it many years ago.

On 8/24/2022 at 2:28 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I agree, but also a good portion of the comments on some of the facebook groups are so brain-rottingly dumb, that I'm glad they haven't heard of these boards. 

For sure. No offense to anyone who enjoys the FB groups (as I'm a member of a few myself), but those are some of the stupidest people I've ever seen in my life.

On 8/24/2022 at 1:28 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I agree, but also a good portion of the comments on some of the facebook groups are so brain-rottingly dumb, that I'm glad they haven't heard of these boards. 

Not sure if you’ve noticed but the majority of the new posters aren’t really contributing to same degree as the ones who left 

On 8/24/2022 at 1:16 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Yes unfortunately these "Influencers", whether nice, well intentioned, or not...are mostly in it for the clout or  💰💰