• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

Its really weird to go to a convention where Whatapp is there, where there is a convention variant that the convention is selling and has limited to 2 per person on the first day and 1 per person on every other day only to walk over to the whatapp booth and see multiple people live streaming from that show bragging about having 20 to 30 copies of that book.
One guy was even saying "I BROUGHT THE FIRE".

And these whatsap guys are being paid and flown to these conventions? What is the point in regular local people even going if all the "fire" is sold out and you have to go to some stupid app to buy them? How does this help attendance? I don't get it.

On 8/27/2022 at 10:15 AM, Jimmy Linguini said:

Its really weird to go to a convention where Whatapp is there, where there is a convention variant that the convention is selling and has limited to 2 per person on the first day and 1 per person on every other day only to walk over to the whatapp booth and see multiple people live streaming from that show bragging about having 20 to 30 copies of that book.

And these whatsap guys are being paid and flown to these conventions? What is the point in regular local people even going if all the "fire" is sold out and you have to go to some stupid app to buy them? How does this help attendance? I don't get it.

200w.gif

On 8/27/2022 at 9:15 AM, Jimmy Linguini said:

With all the bad press and general derision people have given variants over the years (I mean, MANY years) I am just as stumped as you are. I don’t understand the appeal - not if the variant itself, but the crazy hype surrounding them.

It’s like variants are the Spice Girls of comic collecting - ragingly popular amongst a huge group of people we never actually see - but are obviously out there.

On 8/25/2022 at 10:44 AM, FFB said:

But since we live in the real world instead of an ideal world, I guess I can live with the green label.  

That’s really all we can do - at least the pressure got put on and things changed. The system worked. Kind of.
I guess it was all just a big non-orchestrated misunderstanding in the collecting community. The perpetrator has been singled out and further steps have been taken to ensure it never happens again. Nothing more to see here. Back to TAT discussions.

1B56D5B3-98B8-4B85-B274-96DE8D678ACF.thumb.jpeg.2c60aedb1651eb8e61ce7b0447845163.jpeg

You just summarized the problem entirely.

On 8/27/2022 at 8:39 PM, fastballspecial said:

You just summarized the problem entirely.

I hadn't been to a con in a while. Do you think this is a result of conventions losing major sponsors?

I didn't see any of the normal companies I'd expect from previous years. I just don't see what the benefit is for the convention if the premise of the app is to get stuff from the convention without going to the convention.

On 8/28/2022 at 8:12 AM, Jimmy Linguini said:

I hadn't been to a con in a while. Do you think this is a result of conventions losing major sponsors?

I didn't see any of the normal companies I'd expect from previous years. I just don't see what the benefit is for the convention if the premise of the app is to get stuff from the convention without going to the convention.

Conventions have little say over product unless they start doing that. 

Honestly this is all a result of the last few years and the influx of people entering in the hobby.
Whats really sad is you will watch many of these ventures fail over the next few years. As the
hobby cant sustain itself on this type of model.

I started local shows in my area just because convention no longer offer me and many like me
what we want anymore. I don't want to go to comic convention & PAY to see everything, BUT comics.
I hope many do the same and I will be happy to help them start their own.

Some apps just backed the wrong horses and they are just now finding out the backlash. 

Influencers are choosing to ignore it and not address which just makes it worse on them.
I think at this point its looking very bad for them. Now the entire industry knows about them
and that tarnishes a reputation when you are connected to that issue. 

On 8/27/2022 at 9:15 AM, Jimmy Linguini said:

money

Is this referencing the C2E2 variant or the new Batman #423 "exclusive"?

On 8/27/2022 at 12:09 PM, Dr. Balls said:

With all the bad press and general derision people have given variants over the years (I mean, MANY years) I am just as stumped as you are. I don’t understand the appeal - not if the variant itself, but the crazy hype surrounding them.

It’s like variants are the Spice Girls of comic collecting - ragingly popular amongst a huge group of people we never actually see - but are obviously out there.

Variants selling for stupid money, I don't believe it.  I was watching this wondering wtf people see in these things but to each their own I suppose.  In a different stream a few minutes later I saw an Avengers 2 in 2.5 sell for less than this garbage variant.  Crazy to me.

Screenshot_20220825-183643_Whatnot.jpg

On 8/28/2022 at 4:48 PM, Jimmy Linguini said:
On 8/28/2022 at 12:39 PM, manetteska said:

Is this referencing the C2E2 variant or the new Batman #423 "exclusive"?

Yeah it was the Batman 423 exclusive this past weekend that struck a nerve with me

That’s what I thought you were referencing. Another “con exclusive” and after all of this still preferential treatment, con-goers getting left out, and people paying too much from the fam.