• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open discussion off the c2e2 drama. Are influencers destroying the hobby?
3 3

151 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 12:10 PM, jsilverjanet said:

These discussions here are pointless op

:preach:

let me elaborate before someone mistakenly tries to interpret what I meant and spin into drama

the board members that would provide balance to this discussion rarely are in CG and mostly live in the modern thread

here are people who primarily don't participate in social media, therefore many of their opinions are limited based on the information that is shared with them, which recently (C2E2) is negative

as @Beastfeastmany of them aren't bad, many are helping keep this community alive

the boards are a small small fraction of the collecting community, I'd challenge that they are probably the minority

On 8/10/2022 at 12:25 PM, Troy Division said:

How hard would it take for an 'influencer' to disrupt the hobby?

Buy all copies of X title off eBay / mycomicshop using various accounts.
(heck we know of CGC board members with MANY different buyer / seller eBay accounts)

Once there are no copies for a week or so create a video about the 'run' on X title.
Then they list one using one of their multiple accounts (ACCOUNT 1) 2 two minutes after.
Then ACCOUNT 2 does a BIN for super high price almost immediately.
Then ACCOUNT 3 - INFINITY lists theirs with increasing prices.
Then they dump them.

Anyone who thinks that is not being done is a rube ripe for the pickin'

What about "gocollect" .

I read there just yesterday that  Eternals 1 - yes Eternals 1 which has sunk like an anchor is undervalued. Link

Translation: The writer is stuck with many paid for at or near bubble high copies and wants to relive their salad days by ripping off the same pigeons yet again. 

The thought process is probably something like this; hmm I paid $2100 last year for a Eternal 1 9.8 and now it's down to $695. If I buy at the dead cat bounce price of $900 surely I cant lose again!   We'll Rube/Sucker/Moe Ron, you can lose again, as the population of the book increases and it drops down to $550 then $400 then maybe $250.  "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" ,  I feel zero sympathy for those unable to learn that old and very simple lesson. 

After gocollect "writers" sucker them twice, the rubes will then get to whine "Buh Buh Buh gocollect said" right before making the same mistake yet again :roflmao:

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/10/2022 at 12:26 PM, Phill the Governor said:

I see far, far more "influencers" in the second category and I can give a shining example of the worst behavior:

In a hobby where people selling books upwards of 5, 6 and 7 figures are able to crowdfund from other people so they don't pay expenses to go to a con. Absolutely unacceptable, entitled behavior. Those people should be crowdfunding and GIVING away the $$ to less fortunate people- that's the responsible/ethical thing to do.

While I agree with the overall tone of your post, I don't believe it's anyone's "responsibility" to raise money for the less fortunate comic collector. And I certainly wouldn't label anyone as "unethical" just because they aren't doing that. Would be nice for people to do things like that, but 99% of the people in the hobby aren't doing that. Does that mean we're all irresponsible and unethical? 

On 8/10/2022 at 2:13 PM, Motor City Rob said:

While I agree with the overall tone of your post, I don't believe it's anyone's "responsibility" to raise money for the less fortunate comic collector. And I certainly wouldn't label anyone as "unethical" just because they aren't doing that. Would be nice for people to do things like that, but 99% of the people in the hobby aren't doing that. Does that mean we're all irresponsible and unethical? 

I never said it was their responsibility to raise the money for the less fortunate. Crowdfunding is (generally) done by people trying to help the less fortunate, not by people trying to help themselves who have the means to do so anyways. Other less fortunate people that couldn't afford to go either sold stuff to go, or simply didn't go. They didn't crowdfund from other people knowing that there are suckers who will give them free $$ because they're asking for it. All that does is build resentment from members of the community.