• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Boston - My Full Report
1 1

69 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 8:21 PM, n2wdw said:

Thanks for your report.  For me, the pandemic taught me that I could find anything I needed on the internet, and at better prices.  I'm not sure I'll ever go to a comic con again.  Too many lines, too much crowds, and I can surf from my fav chair with NFL (or whatever) on the TV.  I wonder if others feel this way?

No, I have to put hands on books. 

There's no doubt that, should this show continue on this path, it's entirely possible there will be no comics dealers there at all in a few years. The number of celebrity guests has gone way up, which I have zero interest in. There were plenty of comic creators there but, between extremely limited signing windows, ticketing systems and charging hundreds of dollars for head sketches, my interest in roaming artist alley has basically died as well. 

My primary motivator for going to this particular show these days is for the handful of old school dealers that still show up and shooting the chit with people I know.

Oh, and hanging with the two dorks I go with every year.

On 8/12/2022 at 10:33 PM, Robot Man said:

I still love to box dive, see people I know and get some  excercise. Problem is going to a “comic show” with enough decent comic dealers.

At least this promoter is smart enough to call their shows “Fan Expos”. No comic wording. I know if I see one of their shows listed, it won’t be for me. 

The slow death of Fan Expo has given rise to several comics only shows in this area. The best part of shows is finding stuff I wasn't necessarily looking for. For instance, as a LB Cole collector I've always wanted a Patches 1 but I wasn't exactly seeking one out aggressively. One of the dealers at the Boston show happened to have a nice copy at a decent price on his wall. After some discussion I worked out a trade+cash deal for it. I almost always bring some books to trade. This never would have happened online.

On 8/12/2022 at 9:21 PM, n2wdw said:

Thanks for your report.  For me, the pandemic taught me that I could find anything I needed on the internet, and at better prices.  I'm not sure I'll ever go to a comic con again.  Too many lines, too much crowds, and I can surf from my fav chair with NFL (or whatever) on the TV.  I wonder if others feel this way?

The social aspect of conventions has always been a major part of the enjoyment for me as well.  Over the years I've gotten to know dealers and other collectors, and cons are a great way to reconnect not just about comics but life in general.

That and getting to see books live and in person kept me going to local cons.

On 8/13/2022 at 12:10 AM, Ryan. said:

One end-of-aisle booth sold fudge. Just fudge. Yup.

Sensible convention food to provide an energy boost if you're running out of steam after hours of hectic box diving and still have plenty to do.

Quinoa would be less effective.

On 8/13/2022 at 9:20 AM, 1950's war comics said:

fudge and comic books are a bad combination

There was an ice cream vendor there too. Now THAT mixed with long boxes is a combo rife with potential disaster. 

On 8/13/2022 at 12:10 AM, Ryan. said:

One end-of-aisle booth sold fudge. Just fudge. Yup.

Sure I remember a large booth at the LSCC London conventions that sold imported American sweets, sorry, candy.

On 8/13/2022 at 3:49 AM, Ryan. said:

The slow death of Fan Expo has given rise to several comics only shows in this area. The best part of shows is finding stuff I wasn't necessarily looking for. For instance, as a LB Cole collector I've always wanted a Patches 1 but I wasn't exactly seeking one out aggressively. One of the dealers at the Boston show happened to have a nice copy at a decent price on his wall. After some discussion I worked out a trade+cash deal for it. I almost always bring some books to trade. This never would have happened online.

Exactly. I love to dig out stuff I’ve never seen before. Lots of cool impulse buys that I probably wouldn’t do on line. There is always the ability to being able to check out books in hand and deal with a human. Not to mention just a fun place to go to escape reality. A place of positive vibes where everyone is smiling. 

On 8/12/2022 at 10:25 PM, Robot Man said:

Oh, Lordy! What’s next? And people still flood them with comic submissions. They have us right where they want us…

I can see the desire for graded pops at least if they also start signature series pops. Personally, I am waiting for them to grade and slab records. Surprised that hasn't happened yet. 

But in all honesty, can't they grade treasury books one of these days. 

I don’t usually spend much time in Artist Alley, but with so much time on my hands due to the lack of dealers, I strolled though and discovered Japanese artist Hirsohi Kanatari. I was unaware of his work, but as a big kaiju eiga fan I picked up an Ultraman Sketch comic of his, on which he drew a portrait of Pigmon for me on the inner cover. (And licensed by Tsuburaya Productions! Along with his prints.) He also had a Bandai Shin Ultraman figure I bought to add to my son’s collection, and an Ultraman Mephilas face cloth for the heck of it. He was very gracious and a pleasure to meet.

Ultra-Sketch.jpg

Shin-Ultraman.jpg

And that's bout it! I used to write rather lengthy show reports but gave up a few years ago. I may resurrect a few of those to illustrate what the show used to be like.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 8/13/2022 at 7:52 AM, cgcsketcherz said:

I can see the desire for graded pops at least if they also start signature series pops. Personally, I am waiting for them to grade and slab records. Surprised that hasn't happened yet. 

But in all honesty, can't they grade treasury books one of these days. 

Please, don’t give them any more ideas. I’m getting to the age where I might not get my submissions back before I die…