• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Whatnot Event!
4 4

109 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2022 at 11:57 AM, Mike's Rack said:

Someone told me recently that the way I sell is the old way and is dying out.  Whatnot is the new way.  I thought I should adapt so it gave Whatnot a shot.  I realized that I don’t enjoy selling the new way.  It’s more like entertainment centered on and funded by a transaction.  I realized that I don’t enjoy selling comic because of a transaction I enjoy the deeper interaction with fellow collectors who share a common interest with me.  I experience this at conventions, on the boards, at local shops and to an extent on Instagram.  Whatnot is more of a streamlined commodification, hyper-focused for a brief time on individual items.  I sold some books and made some money, but I didn’t enjoy it.  I sell comics because I enjoy it, if it’s not fun, then it’s a job.  I want to keep comics as my hobby not my job.  That’s the old way.  I like the old way, I think the old way will be around longer than I will anyway so I’ll leave the new way to the ones who grew up with Tic-Tock.  

I don't believe that, unless the new way is signing into a random "room" for several hours, being shown random books with no grades, and hoping something I want shows up. It is all about FOMO not building one's collection.

If I want a specific book -- to check out different grades and prices and scans -- Whatnot cannot do that. It shows you, maybe, what is available live at that specific time (if they setup their listings fully, which most do not do).

From a selling perspective I like how Whatnot forces (?) a buyer to have a payment method ready so someone doesn't skip out; as a buyer, I don't have hours a day (or even per week) to hope something comes along I want -- even if it's an amazing deal. Time is more valuable than that deal.

On 8/18/2022 at 1:24 PM, ExNihilo said:

I've used WhatNot once and to me it has good foundations as a platform for live auctions.  It's certainly a step up from the live Facebook or Instagram auctions because sellers can pre-enter the books they're selling, buyers can go in and purchase any "buy now" books, and there's a built in timer that keeps auctions moving at an even pace.  When conducting FB auctions, all of this was done by the seller which was just more work and unless they had done a few, made for more disorganized sales.  My one issue (given the limited times I've used it) is that the "max offer" function doesn't work the way it would with any other auction site.  Instead of bumping the next highest bid by the minimum increment, it bumps the price to your max bid.  So if I'm willing to pay $500 for something, but the next highest bidder is only willing to go to $200, then I've just overpaid by nearly $300.  The ONLY time that's a good thing is if it's a hot item and you want to weed out buyers who would potentially get into a bidding war.  Otherwise, it's probably gonna be bad for the buyer most of the time.

That all said, these live auctions aren't intended to supplant sales at cons or stores, but really is just a way for sellers to increase sales between these in-person events and to reach larger target audiences.

It's not bad.  I agree with the max bid and I hate the sudden death style auctions.  They will put a shiny 90s book up there and it is a feeding frenzy. The person puts a book up for 20 seconds and there is no extension of time, so whoever snipes at the end wins. At times a  book that should go for a dollar or two will sell for $20

On 8/18/2022 at 11:52 AM, toro said:

It's not bad.  I agree with the max bid and I hate the sudden death style auctions.  They will put a shiny 90s book up there and it is a feeding frenzy. The person puts a book up for 20 seconds and there is no extension of time, so whoever snipes at the end wins. At times a  book that should go for a dollar or two will sell for $20

I think the good thing is the 10 second add-on that prevents sniping.  But I think that's a setting that the seller has to turn on.

On 8/18/2022 at 1:45 PM, manetteska said:

I don't believe that, unless the new way is signing into a random "room" for several hours, being shown random books with no grades, and hoping something I want shows up. It is all about FOMO not building one's collection.

If I want a specific book -- to check out different grades and prices and scans -- Whatnot cannot do that. It shows you, maybe, what is available live at that specific time (if they setup their listings fully, which most do not do).

From a selling perspective I like how Whatnot forces (?) a buyer to have a payment method ready so someone doesn't skip out; as a buyer, I don't have hours a day (or even per week) to hope something comes along I want -- even if it's an amazing deal. Time is more valuable than that deal.

many of the sellers do previews on instagram. there are also themes to shows (bronze age/silver etc) also some list the books in advance so you know what is coming up

On 8/18/2022 at 5:59 PM, jsilverjanet said:

many of the sellers do previews on instagram. there are also themes to shows (bronze age/silver etc) also some list the books in advance so you know what is coming up

Perhaps those are the big sellers or ones I have missed. Many times I have gone on when a seller tags Golden Age, I ask off the bat what they will have for sale and they say they don’t have any. There is another very popular seller who sets up in their storeroom (?) and just asks people what they want them to sell, so no clue what you’re going to get. 

I don’t doubt some people run it so you know what’s coming, but most don’t (because it takes effort) and even less tell you a comic’s condition. 

On 8/16/2022 at 4:54 PM, ignimbrite said:

We already have people broadcasting on Whatnot at cons selling items through the platform instead of the con itself. I admit to have used it as I bought a Frank Cho piece through Comicsketch Art that was being sold during the SDCC. While it worked out for me the piece was only available through the Whatnot platform. If I had paid to be at the show and watched the only sketches being auctioned in front of me (they do it at the table) I would be frustrated.

It was more annoying than anything else.  Listening to the dealers hawk their books in Livestreams got old very quick.  If I went to the con and didn't get a book I wanted, but somebody got the convention exclusive through whatnot, I would be pissed.  Just like seeing it up on eBay only this is in your face and on much more public space.