• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Whatnot Event!
4 4

109 posts in this topic

But it was streamed on a app that is set up for selling items.

Is CGC endorsing this selling platform that collectors should buy CGC books from this platform?

Why not stream on Facebook, YouTube or any other platform that was not specifically set up for selling goods.

Would that be more impartial?

See what happens, you drop a level or two with invisible graded comics and added covers after manufacturing and grade them as if the extra cover was always on the book from the start and now I look and scrutinize every action now!

Edited by southern cross
Sentence restructure

On 8/17/2022 at 12:00 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Seemingly, we as an intelligent species, have been moving away from, "Does my neighbor have enough?" towards, "Do I have more than my neighbor?" I actually enjoy my privacy, and enjoy things for myself rather than to impress others.

I have reached that point as well - it’s much more enjoyable. I always say that my comic collection is there to impress myself and no one else.

i used to post my record collection on Instagram, hoping to actually talk about the band or the release or something. All I got was likes or hearts or views - zero conversations. After about a year, I just got bored posting things for people to “like”. It seemed pointless to me to just post pictures and rub peoples faces in it (or if they just feigned caring).

Everyone comes to these realizations in their own time, what surprises me that in all these years of social media, it continues to get worse - as if the majority of people are not noticing that no one cares about what they possess.

Thats what I like about this place - there’s good conversations - not everywhere, but you have an above-average chance of having a discussion when you post a book up that you want to talk about.

On 8/17/2022 at 2:05 PM, southern cross said:

But it was streamed on a app that is set up for selling items.

Is CGC endorsing this selling platform that collectors should buy CGC books from this platform?

Why not stream on Facebook, YouTube or any other platform that was not specifically set up for selling goods.

Would that be more impartial?

See what happens, you drop a level or two with invisible graded comics and added covers after manufacturing and grade them as if the extra cover was always on the book from the start and now I look and scrutinize every action now!

I know most people are not happy with cgc and it’s been awhile since I submitted myself pandemic, QC issues at cgc, etc… but I think there’s nothing sneaky going on.. I think they are just trying to bring awareness to another form of buying and selling books that has a bit more legitimacy than Facebook market place or Kijiji style sort of selling/buying. They gave away free stuff and we got to see a stream where Jim and Alex talked about some of the books they gave away… I certainly enjoyed the show! 

On 8/17/2022 at 2:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is why I always or most of the time post when people post in this week in collection. I make a point not to only do it in garage sale antique thread. And although I got coined a Walmart greeter 😂 I still enjoy when genuine people post about new books, though again, I try not to derail a thread etc.

Who called you a Walmart greeter we should shun them… lol :shiftyeyes:

On 8/17/2022 at 2:11 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I have reached that point as well - it’s much more enjoyable. I always say that my comic collection is there to impress myself and no one else.

i used to post my record collection on Instagram, hoping to actually talk about the band or the release or something. All I got was likes or hearts or views - zero conversations. After about a year, I just got bored posting things for people to “like”. It seemed pointless to me to just post pictures and rub peoples faces in it (or if they just feigned caring).

Everyone comes to these realizations in their own time, what surprises me that in all these years of social media, it continues to get worse - as if the majority of people are not noticing that no one cares about what they possess.

Thats what I like about this place - there’s good conversations - not everywhere, but you have an above-average chance of having a discussion when you post a book up that you want to talk about.

People get tricked into thinking that others care by platforms using their algorithms to get you to engage on other subjects. So, you might put up a picture of a new vinyl, but then you get attracted to a post about something controversial instead. Now, you and me know that we wasted our time, spending most of it by insulting some random person for their differing opinion, but the demographic for social media zombies is not me and you.

My younger and dumber brother, on the other hand, would praise social media while wasting 99% of his time simply arguing on it. He gets only 1 or 2 likes for his cat pictures, but that made him feel good for a fleeting moment, and he chooses to cling to that even if the majority of his time made him feel depressed.

I like seeing pictures of people's HC collections and stuff here. I've come across a lot of cool variants that I'd like to own, collected editions I didn't know about before, etc. I'm probably fairly young compared to most of the vets around here, so I get to soak up a lot of info that I wouldn't otherwise find (or look for) out in the internet wilderness. Recent forms of social media just don't want us to connect, they want us to interact, even if it's bad for our mental health.

On 8/17/2022 at 1:20 PM, Krismusic said:

Who called you a Walmart greeter we should shun them… lol :shiftyeyes:

It was a friend so he get's away with it lol no worries, but I got his point haha, although it is genuine :) 

I just don't want to lose that :) but all good!

I know a LCS signed up for "whatnot"

I could have sworn they were being hit up for conversation at the last major con that I attended by the "whatnot" company that attended etc.

I wasn't nosy just over heard as I traded in stuff, so they "made rounds" etc.

Yet it took until last month for the LCS to sway into it, they haven't totally abandoned the Facebook live feeds that I had enjoyed.

After finding out about all the hoops to jump through, I see why they haven't solely committed, sounds like now that they "have"  constantly sell?

lol I feel bad for them now, cause even though it was weekly, sounds too much like a click haha

Its a trap funny cute GIF on GIFER - by Dala

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/17/2022 at 2:05 PM, southern cross said:

What's the difference? People sell stuff on Facebook and YouTube all the time as well. And considering they were doing giveaways, WhatNot is better setup to handle that.

On 8/17/2022 at 12:20 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Recent forms of social media just don't want us to connect, they want us to interact, even if it's bad for our mental health.

Boy, isn’t that the truth. I think the boards here find a good balance - moreso than places like Reddit and Facebook groups, which are filled with angry, elitist naysayers that make the staff at Championship Vinyl look pleasant.

As much as I rail on IG, it’s nothing compared to the vitriol on Reddit. I have tried staying on Reddit at least 10 times in five years on various subjects and within a week, I’m deleting the app.

On 8/17/2022 at 4:20 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Boy, isn’t that the truth. I think the boards here find a good balance - moreso than places like Reddit and Facebook groups, which are filled with angry, elitist naysayers that make the staff at Championship Vinyl look pleasant.

As much as I rail on IG, it’s nothing compared to the vitriol on Reddit. I have tried staying on Reddit at least 10 times in five years on various subjects and within a week, I’m deleting the app.

I’ve kept my Reddit experience quite simple for my health. At first, I followed a couple digital card trading apps, which could get pretty elitist.

Now, it’s dedicated to cast iron pans and drunk commenting on the Curse of Oak Island when it’s on. You learn to enjoy the finer things in life as you get older. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 8/17/2022 at 1:20 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I've found it depends on the sub you're in.  Gaming subs are just filled with hatred toward the game developers.  So many basic comments get downvoted.  /r/personalfinance is a zero-tolerance no-BS kinda place.  /r/asknyc is like a NYC experience on the internet.  You ask a question, you get an equal number of answers, but also snarky replies.  /r/comicbookcollecting is largely full of supportive people just sharing pictures.  But man, every now and then you get some "raw doggers" who just $#!t over the hobby.

Edited by ExNihilo

On 8/17/2022 at 3:55 PM, ExNihilo said:

I love Jim Lee, but I hope he doesn't start doing the same signature menu as Clayton Crain.  Keep it simple, just offer two signatures: 1) standard, 2) artist sig.

image.thumb.png.13956787df8e5e3fe3f89d8ac6c624a4.png

Jim Lee (@jimlee) • Instagram photos and videos

Bad news for u they mentioned that Jim will get the signature offerings like Crain… 

Edited by Krismusic

On 8/17/2022 at 4:20 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Hmmm… you’ve been on the forums long enough to not notice the same angry and elitist that pop up on the forums as well… probably not as bad as Facebook groups or Reddit but it’s still there slightly.