• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Whatnot Event!
4 4

109 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2022 at 6:20 PM, NoMan said:

AF15 is a bullet-proof investment. Sure it’s cooling now but that was expected. Spider-Man is very popular because of the movies. He’s the KING of all comic books. Always has been, even before 1962

if you haven’t got a copy of this MEGA KEY, you missed out and will never get one. 

I don't have one, are you saying I can never get one now?  :cry:

On 8/16/2022 at 7:01 PM, Ares said:

I tried to register and was approved to see but the onboarding was ridiculous I ended up having to pass.

Once you are approved you then have to do an onboarding video training or something. 

Then its fact its a live stream all the time I could not workout a sell time.

Id rather sell on a stationary platform like the forums or ebay

Same issue with me.  

On 8/17/2022 at 7:55 AM, LudaToke said:

Does this mean that these 3 (Lee, Williams, Sinclair) will be on site to complete their signings and sketches?

From the look of Jim Lee’s instagram, it appears that they are doing the signings now. That’s a much quicker turnaround time than I was expecting. 

This is interesting… I used whatnot a few times only bought off of one stream though which saved me a few bucks than buying from their actually website/online store… so it’s kind of like a fast auction… does certainly have a lot of cons as it’s confusing and have to read the shipping/tax fine print like buying other things in life of course… sometimes a little too much of a streamer pump and dump, but like all things in life if you look hard enough you can get some great deals.. bought some autographs off a fan expo sponsored stream;as it was a bid format and they switched it up to allow snipe bid formats as well… also won a signed comic book so I got lucky off of it… so I’ll see how it turns out lol 

Im interested to see who and what are they selling if they sell anything.?.?.

On 8/16/2022 at 6:41 PM, Buzzetta said:

Could someone explain to me the viability of Whatnot?  When it was mentioned last night it seemed interesting as a new concept.  Upon further investigation it basically seems like a Facebook livestream sale with fees. 

Why would someone do a whatnot say for GI Joe figures, when you can join the GI Joe Trader PX group which currently has over 14,000 members on Facebook and schedule a livestream sale with no fees.  

I really see Facebook these days as the future of person to person transactions, at least in certain areas of collecting. 

There are some decent sellers on Whatnot who are not an never will be an influencer.  The one good thing I find for sellers on Whatnot vs wbay or Facebook.  As soon as that auction or BIN happens the money comes right out of the buyer's paypal account.  No endless waiting for the person to send money.  If they don't have any money in their paypal account the sale gets voided and the person can put the item back up for sale.

On 8/17/2022 at 9:44 AM, toro said:

There are some decent sellers on Whatnot who are not an never will be an influencer.  The one good thing I find for sellers on Whatnot vs wbay or Facebook.  As soon as that auction or BIN happens the money comes right out of the buyer's paypal account.  No endless waiting for the person to send money.  If they don't have any money in their paypal account the sale gets voided and the person can put the item back up for sale.

Yup there are good sellers on there a LCS also uses it to reach a wider audience. They do give aways contests etc… 

On 8/17/2022 at 11:14 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I’m sure this is a way to connect with fans on a growing platform 

I would assume the same to probably sponsor or endorse certain sellers and try to connect with cgc communities

I just watched this stream/giveaway and it was good. Jim just talking about working on different different books with Scott and Alex.  The books they gave away were cool and most of the time there were only 850 people entered in each draw.  It lasted for about 25 minutes.

Having said that, something that did stand out was that CGC made special mention at the start of the stream/giveaway that they are an impartial third party and they don't sell comic books.  To me that sounded like a direct response to some of the concerns echoed in this thread.

I attempted to do whatnot this past weekend. I just came away thinking that that form of selling is pushing the comic industry into the whole chase card/trading card direction where everyone just goes absolutely ballistic over buying or selling a book.

Whatever happened to just buying a comic you like and that’s that. Why does every comic purchase have to be an Instagram-selfie fueled box-opening over-the-top video production?

Gawd. I’m getting old. :preach:

On 8/17/2022 at 12:08 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I attempted to do whatnot this past weekend. I just came away thinking that that form of selling is pushing the comic industry into the whole chase card/trading card direction where everyone just goes absolutely ballistic over buying or selling a book.

Whatever happened to just buying a comic you like and that’s that. Why does every comic purchase have to be an Instagram-selfie fueled box-opening over-the-top video production?

Gawd. I’m getting old. :preach:

Some sellers have books in a buy it now section.  Most are over priced, but some are regularly priced.  I've seen people get really good deals.  A kid that came into my LCS had a bunch of nice silver age he bought.  ASM 17 , ST 126 both in about VF and a few others.  Some of the dealers don't know if you don't have enough people in there you shouldn't throw up your best stuff.

On 8/17/2022 at 11:08 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Why does every comic purchase have to be an Instagram-selfie fueled box-opening over-the-top video production?

this is not just exclusive to comics, it's everything

that's the society we have today

On 8/17/2022 at 10:20 AM, jsilverjanet said:

this is not just exclusive to comics, it's everything

that's the society we have today

Yeah, I agree. I guess in my naïveté I was hoping it hadn’t gone into the comic realm as much as it did. But you’re right: the insanity-fueled reactions must trigger peoples brains.

OHMIGOD A NOVA #1 IN VEEGEE CONDITION I GOTTA HAVE IT CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK INSTAGRAM SEFIE DUCKLIPS POSE EEEEEYYYYAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

On 8/17/2022 at 12:02 PM, LudaToke said:

I just watched this stream/giveaway and it was good. Jim just talking about working on different different books with Scott and Alex.  The books they gave away were cool and most of the time there were only 850 people entered in each draw.  It lasted for about 25 minutes.

Having said that, something that did stand out was that CGC made special mention at the start of the stream/giveaway that they are an impartial third party and they don't sell comic books.  To me that sounded like a direct response to some of the concerns echoed in this thread.

Yeah I was watching the stream as well britany said at the beginning that cgc doesn’t not sell or buy comics, that they are a impartial 3rd party grading company. That the stream is just a give away which is pretty cool. 

some brownie points for cgc I guess to addressing some concerns we have and for giving away cool cgc SS books :bump:^^