• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Whatnot Event!
4 4

109 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2022 at 8:14 PM, Krismusic said:

Bad news for u they mentioned that Jim will get the signature offerings like Crain… 

Is it bad that while I don't like that it's offered, but if I ever wanted to get anything signed by Jim, I'd probably consider the variety of offerings?  I guess it's a good thing I've gotten plenty of books signed by him already that I probably don't need anymore, but that's besides the point.

On 8/17/2022 at 4:20 PM, Dr. Balls said:

As much as I rail on IG, it’s nothing compared to the vitriol on Reddit. I have tried staying on Reddit at least 10 times in five years on various subjects and within a week, I’m deleting the app.

Reddit is the most cancerous 'popular' social media outlet, without question.

On 8/18/2022 at 12:02 AM, ExNihilo said:

I don't get /r/roastme.  It's just a bunch of attention whores.  /r/toastme is where you go to have your faith in humanity restored.

It's the comments that make me laugh the most.   Admittedly some are pedestrian but there are quite a few that make me just laugh out loud for real. 

On 8/17/2022 at 4:38 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I’ve kept my Reddit experience quite simple for my health. At first, I followed a couple digital card trading apps, which could get pretty elitist.

Now, it’s dedicated to cast iron pans and drunk commenting on the Curse of Oak Island when it’s on. You learn to enjoy the finer things in life as you get older. 

Did they find the buried treasure yet?

10 mins of show dragged out to 60 mins+

On 8/18/2022 at 10:03 AM, manetteska said:

Did they find the buried treasure yet?

10 mins of show dragged out to 60 mins+

Dragged out like 10 years is more like it lol Nope, no treasure, but  the comments on that subreddit make it all worth it.

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 8/18/2022 at 6:50 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Reddit is the most cancerous 'popular' social media outlet, without question.

Funny we have not run into each other there... :baiting:

It depends on where you go and what you are looking for.  I go there time to time as there are specific groups that interest me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/ - I love this game and it keeps me occupied during my commute.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/Legoleak/ - All of the leaks for certain things like Lego pop up here first.  For some reason Lego will shut down leaks and reveals on Twitter but have not been able to do anything when it comes to reddit. (I think there are a couple of designers on reddit doing the leaking but... whatever).  There are threads like this where they reveal what is coming down the pipeline from Transformers and GI Joe and Star Wars as well.   

On 8/18/2022 at 10:29 AM, Buzzetta said:

Funny we have not run into each other there... :baiting:

It depends on where you go and what you are looking for.  I go there time to time as there are specific groups that interest me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/ - I love this game and it keeps me occupied during my commute.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/Legoleak/ - All of the leaks for certain things like Lego pop up here first.  For some reason Lego will shut down leaks and reveals on Twitter but have not been able to do anything when it comes to reddit. (I think there are a couple of designers on reddit doing the leaking but... whatever).  There are threads like this where they reveal what is coming down the pipeline from Transformers and GI Joe and Star Wars as well.  

lol

The bold is absolutely correct. Those communities would seem 'safe' to me. The Marvel and DC subs are goddamn awful, all of them. r/Hellboy and r/Spawn are tame, almost never read any arguments.

Reddit intentionally serves up controversial subs and posts on the home page, though. They want us to fight, up-vote and down-vote. A 'good' experience may also be dependent on whether or not a sub's moderators are smoking rocks on the days you post.

On 8/18/2022 at 8:58 AM, strezz_dout said:

I've used WhatNot mostly for artists and to listen to the stories they tell.  I've gotten art from Jae Lee, Mark Brooks, Marc Silvestri, Ryan Ottley, Ryan Stegman, Pat Gleason, Mirka Andolfo, Frank Cho, Rob Liefeld, and now Jim Lee.  As the app has gotten more popular, I've noticed the bidding wars have pushed a lot of the comics/pops/other collectibles into prices higher than what you could find from other sources.  The fact that non-sudden death auctions don't allow for sniping by adding ten seconds back on to the clock can really make the final price climb.  I've enjoyed WhatNot for the one of a kind items that you can only get from the artists.  I've attached some of the art that I've gotten from WhatNot.

I was also lucky enough to win an auction on Jim Lee's solo show before he joined CGC's show of 2 remarked Pops of Batman and Joker.  Then I won the giveaway of the Jim Lee Joker sketch colored by Sinclair with free CGC grading during Alex's CGC show.  That was very exciting. 

To me CGC sees this as another avenue for additional service work for them.  A lot of the bigger name sellers have an "Add CGC" option within their Buy It Now section.  So if you buy a valuable book or piece of art, you can add the service and CGC gets additional revenue.  

WhatNot may not be for everyone, but if you are smart about bidding and don't trek into some of the hype machine sellers, then it can be a fun experience.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.png

thats fantastic stuff

On 8/18/2022 at 9:58 AM, strezz_dout said:

I've used WhatNot mostly for artists and to listen to the stories they tell.  I've gotten art from Jae Lee, Mark Brooks, Marc Silvestri, Ryan Ottley, Ryan Stegman, Pat Gleason, Mirka Andolfo, Frank Cho, Rob Liefeld, and now Jim Lee.  As the app has gotten more popular, I've noticed the bidding wars have pushed a lot of the comics/pops/other collectibles into prices higher than what you could find from other sources.  The fact that non-sudden death auctions don't allow for sniping by adding ten seconds back on to the clock can really make the final price climb.  I've enjoyed WhatNot for the one of a kind items that you can only get from the artists.  I've attached some of the art that I've gotten from WhatNot.

I was also lucky enough to win an auction on Jim Lee's solo show before he joined CGC's show of 2 remarked Pops of Batman and Joker.  Then I won the giveaway of the Jim Lee Joker sketch colored by Sinclair with free CGC grading during Alex's CGC show.  That was very exciting. 

To me CGC sees this as another avenue for additional service work for them.  A lot of the bigger name sellers have an "Add CGC" option within their Buy It Now section.  So if you buy a valuable book or piece of art, you can add the service and CGC gets additional revenue.  

WhatNot may not be for everyone, but if you are smart about bidding and don't trek into some of the hype machine sellers, then it can be a fun experience.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.png

Congrats on that joker cover sketch that was the one book I liked the most!! Glad to see a fellow boardie win it! 

On 8/18/2022 at 10:05 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Dragged out like 10 years is more like it lol Nope, no treasure, but  the comments on that subreddit make it all worth it.

Thanks saved me probably hours of watching to see what they found 

On 8/16/2022 at 7:54 PM, ignimbrite said:

We already have people broadcasting on Whatnot at cons selling items through the platform instead of the con itself.

Yes, as was well demonstrated at C2E2 when Whatnot seller/reps including people named Skeff, Nerdygirl,etc made it to the front of the line at the Black Flag table, bought up most of the UF4 variants and walked back to the Whatnot booth and started selling them.

This is what they do. 

It's encouraged by Whatnot.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 8/18/2022 at 11:34 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Yes, as was well demonstrated at C2E2 when Whatnot seller/reps including people named Skeff, Nerdygirl,etc made it to the front of the line at the Black Flag table, bought up most of the UF4 variants and walked back to the Whatnot booth and started selling them.

This is what they do. 

It's encouraged by Whatnot.

And CGC has Skeff hosting their WhatNot event. Doesn’t get more tonedeaf than that. 

Someone told me recently that the way I sell is the old way and is dying out.  Whatnot is the new way.  I thought I should adapt so it gave Whatnot a shot.  I realized that I don’t enjoy selling the new way.  It’s more like entertainment centered on and funded by a transaction.  I realized that I don’t enjoy selling comic because of a transaction I enjoy the deeper interaction with fellow collectors who share a common interest with me.  I experience this at conventions, on the boards, at local shops and to an extent on Instagram.  Whatnot is more of a streamlined commodification, hyper-focused for a brief time on individual items.  I sold some books and made some money, but I didn’t enjoy it.  I sell comics because I enjoy it, if it’s not fun, then it’s a job.  I want to keep comics as my hobby not my job.  That’s the old way.  I like the old way, I think the old way will be around longer than I will anyway so I’ll leave the new way to the ones who grew up with Tic-Tock.  

On 8/18/2022 at 1:01 PM, jcjames said:

Okay so now in addition to having no clue what a "WhatNot" is, I am also blissfully unware of anything called "Skeff". 

Relaxed.jpeg.f60bc10220d8a699d30224485f06302d.jpeg

Same. I just know he was involved in the whole acetategate shenanigans. Not sure if there is other controversy surrounding him, but not really someone you’d want to be associated with directly on the heels of CGC grading bootleg comics as legitimate. That and all those 9.9s and 10s. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 8/18/2022 at 9:57 AM, Mike's Rack said:

Someone told me recently that the way I sell is the old way and is dying out.  Whatnot is the new way.  I thought I should adapt so it gave Whatnot a shot.  I realized that I don’t enjoy selling the new way.  It’s more like entertainment centered on and funded by a transaction.  I realized that I don’t enjoy selling comic because of a transaction I enjoy the deeper interaction with fellow collectors who share a common interest with me.  I experience this at conventions, on the boards, at local shops and to an extent on Instagram.  Whatnot is more of a streamlined commodification, hyper-focused for a brief time on individual items.  I sold some books and made some money, but I didn’t enjoy it.  I sell comics because I enjoy it, if it’s not fun, then it’s a job.  I want to keep comics as my hobby not my job.  That’s the old way.  I like the old way, I think the old way will be around longer than I will anyway so I’ll leave the new way to the ones who grew up with Tic-Tock.  

I've used WhatNot once and to me it has good foundations as a platform for live auctions.  It's certainly a step up from the live Facebook or Instagram auctions because sellers can pre-enter the books they're selling, buyers can go in and purchase any "buy now" books, and there's a built in timer that keeps auctions moving at an even pace.  When conducting FB auctions, all of this was done by the seller which was just more work and unless they had done a few, made for more disorganized sales.  My one issue (given the limited times I've used it) is that the "max offer" function doesn't work the way it would with any other auction site.  Instead of bumping the next highest bid by the minimum increment, it bumps the price to your max bid.  So if I'm willing to pay $500 for something, but the next highest bidder is only willing to go to $200, then I've just overpaid by nearly $300.  The ONLY time that's a good thing is if it's a hot item and you want to weed out buyers who would potentially get into a bidding war.  Otherwise, it's probably gonna be bad for the buyer most of the time.

That all said, these live auctions aren't intended to supplant sales at cons or stores, but really is just a way for sellers to increase sales between these in-person events and to reach larger target audiences.

On 8/18/2022 at 10:57 AM, Mike's Rack said:

Someone told me recently that the way I sell is the old way and is dying out.  Whatnot is the new way.  I thought I should adapt so it gave Whatnot a shot.  I realized that I don’t enjoy selling the new way.  It’s more like entertainment centered on and funded by a transaction.

I went there trying to understand it as well - sometimes the old way is the best way, it may not generate the greatest margin, but for hobby sellers that’s not always the goal. If you’re a dealer - you are forced to deal with these new methods. I do not. So I buy and sell my books the old fashioned way, and that’s fine by me. I may miss a few deals, or not maximize my profits, but I don’t have to worry about that as much as a real dealer.