• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever gotten outer paper of blank comics sketched on?

12 posts in this topic

I am beginning a project with an artist and the subject isn't represented in a blank sketch comic.

I don't like getting sketches on blanks that aren't related to the art so was wondering if anyone has ever gotten sketches on the blank paper cover of the blank sketch comic?

How would CGC grade it? Any examples?

Thanks!

s-l400.jpg

@Monstertruck97 Why wouldn't you just have the commission done on an art board then?  If you're looking for the "trade dress" (all the titles and other publishing details), you could have it printed separately on an acetate overlay and then frame the two together.

@Yorick You mean just get things slabbed with NG, as designated as ART on a board? 

Want to keep things comic book related and don't possess anything outside of sketch covers.

When I see or hear the word "acetate", I now cringe a little. 😃 

Edited by Monstertruck97

On 8/21/2022 at 12:16 PM, Monstertruck97 said:

Want to keep things comic book related and don't possess anything outside of sketch covers.

Okay.  Gotcha.

What character doesn't have a sketch cover available at this point?  Have you seen those completely blank books printed at comic size?

PS. Nice profile pic!  There are a few different Supergirl blanks (as I recall).

On 8/21/2022 at 3:27 PM, Yorick said:

Okay.  Gotcha.

What character doesn't have a sketch cover available at this point?  Have you seen those completely blank books printed at comic size?

PS. Nice profile pic!  There are a few different Supergirl blanks (as I recall).

Not Supergirl. Actually, The Simpsons.

There is one blank, a #230 but haven't seen one up for sale ever.

I suspect those blank comic books will get the NG tag. Truly appreciate your input.

On 8/21/2022 at 3:49 PM, Ryan. said:

KidMMTotleben.jpg.c5a54ae3c3db2f98b1a889a7a4fc4305.jpg

Ah, thanks so much. That is my answer.

But added after manufacturing? 

I also don't want to hear about anything being added "after manufacturing" as well. 😊 

Great sketch by the way! 👍 

On 8/21/2022 at 3:57 PM, Monstertruck97 said:

Ah, thanks so much. That is my answer.

But added after manufacturing? 

I also don't want to hear about anything being added "after manufacturing" as well. 😊 

Great sketch by the way! 👍 

These were made by a fellow boardie years ago, before publishers sold their own blanks. He sold them, I believe, for $10 each. CGC correctly graded them as NG back then.

On 8/21/2022 at 4:07 PM, Ryan. said:

These were made by a fellow boardie years ago, before publishers sold their own blanks. He sold them, I believe, for $10 each. CGC correctly graded them as NG back then.

What about all the ones on eBay that have a blank cover atop the sketch cover? There are a dozen or so up on the site now from different vendors.

Example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393798124094

I even have a few.

Those couldn't be all done by the fellow boardie as they are all rather recent. Could they have been manufactured that way?

Again, thanks much.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:59 PM, Monstertruck97 said:

What about all the ones on eBay that have a blank cover atop the sketch cover? There are a dozen or so up on the site now from different vendors.

Example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393798124094

I even have a few.

Those couldn't be all done by the fellow boardie as they are all rather recent. Could they have been manufactured that way?

Again, thanks much.

These were manufactured this way, but you can't sketch on that paper from what I can tell. (It has a wax-y finish.)

It's removed before grading.

I tried this with a number of my golden age rags books that I had as place holders until upgrading. Using a similar method to another boardie (a year later 2014ish), CGC at the time changed their stance on adding an additional (blank) cover to what was already manufactured and refused to grade/encapsulate them. Given what happened a month ago and how they completely reversed stance the money must of been much better.. lol.

As an artist who does sketch covers at shows I can attest to the fact you can't draw on that particular outer paper you're showing in the example, it's a protective covering.  Okay you could draw on it with a Sharpie but you're not getting the best and smudges are likely.   For that matter sketch covers themselves for some books are often lousy quality-- nothing worse than someone handing you one of those -- and handle blank sketch covers very carefully because hand oil effects that way ink will sit on it.

I'm a big fan of the "NG" books that @Ryan. referenced earlier.  They give the artist a lot of space to work with, the working surface takes all kinds of media very well, and grade isn't a concern, so the art stands on it's own without any influence from the condition of the book (some people tend to look down on sketchcovers with grades lower than 9.8).

These are certainly relics of a time when Marvel was only putting out sketch covers once or twice a year with none of the smaller publishers really doing anything with it.  Heck, someone made a Green Lantern one before DC really jumped on to the blank trend.  Still among my favorites:

661264251_BlackestNight0-DooneyTMNT.thumb.jpg.d3277a6691494ff971e7ea554ece3b57.jpg