• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Comic Psychology Question- Uber Powerful Characters
1 1

54 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2022 at 9:56 PM, kav said:

because they are not interesting enough to carry it.  Galacticus has no real character or foibles or weaknesses.  He has no real goal.  He eats planets.
Stopping him from eating planets-now there's a goal and therefore the heroes that do that have a story.  Uber powerful beings just have nothing of interest to offer as a solo plot character.
An interesting character has to have a goal he is interested in.  What goal could the watcher have?

Have you read any Galactus stories?  His goal is to stay alive.  He “eats” planets because if he doesn’t....he dies.(shrug)

On 8/22/2022 at 10:44 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Have you read any Galactus stories?  His goal is to stay alive.  He “eats” planets because if he doesn’t....he dies.(shrug)

thats a weak goal.  You need a protagonist with an interesting antagonist. 
I mean everyone needs food to stay alive but a story about someone going to Mc Donalds to get food wouldnt be the stuff of drama.  
You cant really do the 'man vs nature' thing with galacticus to make an interesting story like Cast Away either.  He needs an antagonist.  Also, if the story is about him, he's the protagonist so has to be written as someone the audience roots for.  

Characters like galacticus and the watcher are more like forces of nature than characters.  
Cast Away Wilson the volleyball finally rescued

Edited by kav

On 8/23/2022 at 1:47 AM, kav said:

thats a weak goal.  You need a protagonist with an interesting antagonist. 
I mean everyone needs food to stay alive but a story about someone going to Mc Donalds to get food wouldnt be the stuff of drama.  
You cant really do the 'man vs nature' thing with galacticus to make an interesting story like Cast Away either.  He needs an antagonist.  Also, if the story is about him, he's the protagonist so has to be written as someone the audience roots for.  
Cast Away Wilson the volleyball finally rescued

66E84DF1-2867-4669-B176-43724297767F.gif.26030ded621fb0bfbf9f31d1892dd3d2.gif

Congratulations (worship)

On 8/22/2022 at 11:02 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

66E84DF1-2867-4669-B176-43724297767F.gif.26030ded621fb0bfbf9f31d1892dd3d2.gif

Congratulations (worship)

Someone gets so upset over discussing comic and movie plotting all I can say is
William Shatner Get A Life GIF - William Shatner Get A Life Nerds -  Discover & Share GIFs

On 8/22/2022 at 9:56 PM, kav said:

because they are not interesting enough to carry it.  Galacticus has no real character or foibles or weaknesses.  He has no real goal.  He eats planets.
Stopping him from eating planets-now there's a goal and therefore the heroes that do that have a story.  Uber powerful beings just have nothing of interest to offer as a solo plot character.
An interesting character has to have a goal he is interested in.  What goal could the watcher have?

As I mentioned in a prior post, maybe The Watcher once involved himself in the evolving of species on the planets he observed. Maybe he intended to help or hurt them.

A creative writer could come up with several ideas.

Saying all that, maybe the uber powerful characters would be boring to most comic readers. Maybe that is part of the answer.

I would love it. I think any series focused on them would have to exclude mortals pretty much entirely. 
Maybe a mini involving all the entities when they were "young". Story line might be a power struggle during the first seconds of the universe's existence. Game of Thrones style. Their "powers" are new, they are inexperienced, their reality is in flux, & next to each other their powers are maybe not all so OP. Would leave room for growth and exploration of characters and the development of the laws of nature in our universe.

On 8/23/2022 at 2:59 PM, Shazbot said:

I would love it. I think any series focused on them would have to exclude mortals pretty much entirely. 
Maybe a mini involving all the entities when they were "young". Story line might be a power struggle during the first seconds of the universe's existence. Game of Thrones style. Their "powers" are new, they are inexperienced, their reality is in flux, & next to each other their powers are maybe not all so OP. Would leave room for growth and exploration of characters and the development of the laws of nature in our universe.

Teen angst and tantrums, cosmic entity style.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/23/2022 at 5:20 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

This is rich :roflmao:

it really is.  Someone going ballistic because someone else talks about comic character plotting.

On 8/22/2022 at 7:56 PM, kav said:

True - I think that's why my interest in someone like Galactus is limited. But if you created internal adversity and explored unique weaknesses limited to a being of that power - it might make for compelling storytelling. How cool would it be to give us a Galactus story that explains a problem he has - that we mortals can't comprehend - but told in a way that it gives us common ground with him at the end of the tale? Don't make Galactus' problem relatable, but make his outcome relatable to the reader.

On 8/23/2022 at 12:58 PM, bronze_rules said:

If I recall correctly, the Watcher did have a short backup series in Tales to Astonish. Some great stories about challenges to the Watcher on the moon, and his origins.

I really think if demand was there, they would continue short series like that and Galactus. 

he was just the host for various sci fi stories presented.

What about a story where Galactus eats a planet, but it makes him sick. Even he can’t cure the sickness and he’s going to die. The Watcher tells him that the only remedy is to devour Ego The Living Planet.

The Celestials come to Ego’s defense as he is one of them. The Inbetweener  shows up too as he hates Galactus.

Then The Living Tribunal shows up.:whatthe: And he is none too happy with The Celestials! You

We could have a brawl that could be the end of days. Eternity and Infinity show up. The Watcher finds a way to let Dormamu into our dimension to help, but he ends up fighting both sides in hopes of taking over the universe!

We don’t know when The Stranger and The Beyonder will join in, but The Beyonders can’t be too far away!

Maybe I’ll send this junque to Marvel!:goodvsevil: