• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will books fade under standard room lights?
2 2

60 posts in this topic

I'm no criminal but I've watched a chit ton if heist movies

If you have expensive books for sale on Ebay it isn't too hard to find out where you live.

EBay tells anyone looking what state you are shipping from.

So a thief finds a seller with big $$$ books in the same state that they live in.

The thief then purchases the cheapest item you have for sale.

You ship to the thief and BOOM ...they have the return address where all your expensive slabs are.

The thief cases the house to get your daily schedule and waits to strike.

On 8/24/2022 at 10:29 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’ve got a dozen longboxes I wish someone would steal.  I’m too old to be hauling those things down the stairs to the curb.  Who’s the muppet that thought carrying 350 comics at a time would be a good idea?:tonofbricks:

Satan designed the first comic box, but luckily God gave us the short box. 

On 8/24/2022 at 12:11 PM, lostboys said:

If you have expensive books for sale on Ebay it isn't too hard to find out where you live.

So a thief finds a seller with big $$$ books in the same state that they live in.

You ship to the thief and BOOM ...they have the return address where all your expensive slabs are.

My Return address is the Post office po box its not like they can't find me but finding me is not ideal I pack and am almost always home .

On 8/24/2022 at 12:42 PM, davidking623 said:

My Return address is the Post office po box its not like they can't find me but finding me is not ideal I pack and am almost always home .

On 8/24/2022 at 12:24 PM, shadroch said:

Satan designed the first comic box, but luckily God gave us the short box. 

I've taken to putting my Books in Short boxes that are for Sale ! A Long Box with Silver or Bronze in it is pretty manageable but that heavy Modern stuff it weighs .

On 8/24/2022 at 3:47 PM, davidking623 said:

I've taken to putting my Books in Short boxes that are for Sale ! A Long Box with Silver or Bronze in it is pretty manageable but that heavy Modern stuff it weighs .

Longboxes of moderns are like carrying a big block of cement. :facepalm:

On 8/24/2022 at 1:47 PM, The Meta said:

Alberta sucks for anything usually 

I dunno they have good steak lol 

Oh as to the op question minimize light exposure use LED as it gives off small amount of UV so it would take years and years of exposure to notice any fading. Keep away from all sunlight use UV protection as much as possible and rotate them in and out of your display and u should be good.

On 8/25/2022 at 12:36 AM, Venomous72 said:

So I just pulled out one of the bulbs and apparently I switched these to LED soft whites several months ago and forgot until now haha.  So that is good i suppose

And yeah this office is in the basement with no windows or ways to see in.  If someone broke in and made their way down to my office I am sure they would take everything regardless of if things were on display or in a box, and I do buy these to look at and appreciate them (and they are all insured, so there's that I guess)

We had a break in a few years ago & the scum bags rifled through my storeroom, but fortunately didn't touch my short boxes. Back in 2011, when I wasn't collecting, we had flooding here which got in and damaged the long boxes I had back then, luckily the comics inside weren't affected also. Like Shadroch said there are other threats to consider. I don't display any of my books which as well as preventing light damage probably saved them from being stolen

Edited by MattrixAlien

I display my books even a spinner rack of raw books.

Months ago I went on a 30 day road trip and was having renovations done.

I trusted the contractor but I don't know about the other tradespeople who he hired to come in.

So to play it safe I removed all comics on display and my collection is in built in drawers so unless you're hunting for them you'll not find them. Nothing comic book was missing.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:37 AM, ThothAmon said:

I hate the color emitted by LED’s. That bluish white flicker is nauseating. 

If your LEDs are flickering you should have your wiring and current regulation looked at.

LEDs don't flicker unless they're going bad or your home has electrical issues. 

On 8/24/2022 at 8:25 AM, Venomous72 said:

So I have my books displayed in my office, no sunlight hits the room at all. I have standard halogen lights in there on most of the day. 

All the slabs are in the E Gerber Mylite bags (say they protect against UV rays but 🤷🏻‍♂️)

In your guys’ experiences, are books in this environment and protection safe from fading or should I be rotating these out/putting them in a box?

CF19E831-D0B1-4186-ABCE-6A02E636E05A.jpeg

If you're worried, switch to LED.  

The UV emmited is negligible.

On 8/25/2022 at 5:11 AM, lostboys said:

Unless the return address is a PO Box, which is what I do. And eBay has me in a different suburb.

On 8/25/2022 at 7:58 AM, AJD said:

Unless the return address is a PO Box, which is what I do. And eBay has me in a different suburb.

That's smart. 

Anyone selling expensive stuff like watches, sneakers, sports cards etc is a potential target.

With concerns regarding the lights and potential theft I suggest some nice quality photocopies and some decent inexpensive but decorative frames. Less fret worrying about either and you don’t risk fading colors or empty spaces where they once were. Also one could swap out images for a change of genres or such. Let the potential unwanted of humanity believe  they are protected securely in a safe deposit box. Since they are slabbed it’s not like you will be able to pour through  the pages. You will be able to show off your prized possessions to those individuals you’ve deemed worthy of sharing with and negate the possibility of the old adage that loose lips sink ships. 
“Oh wow you should see what Bob has hanging in his office!” I hope he and the family are having a great vacation in Bora Bora…Let’s get on Faceplant and see what they are up to..

094FAD62-AD0F-4EEE-869A-B8A5181209E8.jpeg

On 8/24/2022 at 8:37 AM, ThothAmon said:

It’s what the boards are supposed to be about.  I hate the color emitted by LED’s. That bluish white flicker is nauseating.  I don’t think the books in their current grades are in much danger of any fading damage.  As for the rest buy a Doberman. 

if you have flicker on your LEDs bulbs, you need an electrician. standard, modern LEDs should not flicker. i've used them in my studio for years now. however, they will flicker if improperly installed with a dimmer.

they also come in a variety of color temperatures, so you can get a warmer light if that's your preference. 

Edited by alexgross.com

I second the photocopy idea. I haven't displayed any of my books yet, but after I get my collection all scanned and bagged, I plan on taking a few of the scans and get poster sized prints made, which I'll frame and display.