• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lily Renee (May 12, 1921 - August 25, 2022)
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Lily Renee, Pioneer Comic Artist of the Golden Age, Passes Away (cbr.com)

I met her briefly once a few years back. I was surprised and amazed she was still alive. But, then again, she has left a legacy of art that, due to comic fans, will live forever.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/26/2022 at 8:13 AM, Robot Man said:

I met her at SDCC many years ago. I believe it was her first ( and only) comic con appearance.

I believe she was there in both 2007 and 2011.  She did the rounds making appearances with Trina Robbins at various venues in 2011 - the year Escape Artist came out.  

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/26/2022 at 8:54 AM, sfcityduck said:

I believe she was there in both 2007 and 2011.  She did the rounds making appearances with Trina Robbins at various venues in 2011 - the year Escape Artist came out.  

I believe I met her in 2007. I remember her in Artist’s Alley with no one at her booth…:sorry:

I always made it a point to check the guest list for GA artists before I went and to bring a few of their books.

I got to meet most of the greats at shows. The ones that got away were Schomburg and Barks though. You just kind of deemed them immortal and you would get another chance. How wrong we were…

On 8/26/2022 at 10:18 AM, Robot Man said:

The ones that got away were Schomburg and Barks though.  You just kind of deemed them immortal and you would get another chance. How wrong we were…

You were only half wrong. For us, they are immortal.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/26/2022 at 6:18 PM, Robot Man said:

You just kind of deemed them immortal and you would get another chance. How wrong we were…

I get what you mean.

I corresponded with Feldstein for some years, he was such a vibrant and strong character and embraced life well into old age, I felt he would always be around.

The greats dying off is incredibly depressing. I feel great comic book artists are like rockstars to us collectors and lovers of the hobby.

RIP Lily. A great lady indeed.

On 8/26/2022 at 5:36 PM, GG © ® ™---Paul said:

I get what you mean.

I corresponded with Feldstein for some years, he was such a vibrant and strong character and embraced life well into old age, I felt he would always be around.

The greats dying off is incredibly depressing. I feel great comic book artists are like rockstars to us collectors and lovers of the hobby.

RIP Lily. A great lady indeed.

As long as Clapton, Page and Richards are still kicking, I’m happy! 

On 8/26/2022 at 6:42 PM, Robot Man said:

As long as Clapton, Page and Richards are still kicking, I’m happy! 

I have put together playlists for my favorites, like my “When Dylan Dies” playlist that starts off with “Moonshiner” - achingly sad song about mortality that includes the line “I go to some hollow, and I sit at my still, and if whiskey don’t kill me, I don’t know what will”.  Plan to listen to it first and toast Bob with some of his own label’s bourbon or rye.  Then listen to the rest of the playlist which goes hours.