• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC-exclusive Death of Superman 30th Anniversary Gold Foil Variant
3 3

219 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2023 at 10:13 PM, Iconic1s said:

This is the one that gets me… 320 of a book limited to 300!  Guessing the other 20 aren’t numbered but would love to know where exactly 20 more 9.8’s came from!

BDE00273-1A55-4D4A-BDD3-D90601EDF233.jpeg.17e7d0dab4cdb616de27db3a3e86fcfa.jpeg

That's a good question. BTC never sold raw copies of the gold.??? 

Edited by ak47po

On 2/18/2023 at 7:13 PM, Iconic1s said:

This is the one that gets me… 320 of a book limited to 300!  Guessing the other 20 aren’t numbered but would love to know where exactly 20 more 9.8’s came from… AND where they went??

BDE00273-1A55-4D4A-BDD3-D90601EDF233.jpeg.17e7d0dab4cdb616de27db3a3e86fcfa.jpeg

Artist comps probably. Also the listing said limited to 300. It doesn't say only 300 exist. (Or at least I can't find that.)

Edited by Tnexus

On 2/18/2023 at 7:02 PM, Iconic1s said:

There are also 17 9.9’s of the Pink now!  That’s crazy!

Unreal. I have 24 pinks, 17 graded 9.8, and one graded 9.6. The rest will be graded over the next few months.

Can I just get ONE 9.9? :sumo:

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

On 2/18/2023 at 9:45 PM, Tnexus said:

Artist comps probably. Also the listing said limited to 300. It doesn't say only 300 exist. (Or at least I can't find that.)

Here’s the link to BTC’s IG post.  All 1000 books were supposed to go to CGC.  CGC was supposed to grade ONLY 300 9.8’s and destroy the rest.  Supposedly CGC was supposed to post a video at some point of the destruction (details are around 6 mins in).  This video doesn’t address artist comps, etc which we know have hit eBay raw.

My GUESS is that the other 20 9.8’s went to CGC or DC employees… otherwise it’s real weird that there are exactly 20 extra 9.8’s and no 9.6’s etc.  Also weird that we haven’t seen any of the EXTRA 20 pop up anywhere for sale anywhere.  Maybe @CGC Mike can shed some light as this was a shared CGC and BTC exclusive.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Ch7ulqXpN2y/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

On 2/18/2023 at 9:02 PM, Iconic1s said:

Here’s the link to BTC’s IG post.  All 1000 books were supposed to go to CGC.  CGC was supposed to grade ONLY 300 9.8’s and destroy the rest.  Supposedly CGC was supposed to post a video at some point of the destruction (details are around 6 mins in).  This video doesn’t address artist comps, etc which we know have hit eBay raw.

My GUESS is that the other 20 9.8’s went to CGC or DC employees… otherwise it’s real weird that there are exactly 20 extra 9.8’s and no 9.6’s etc.  Also weird that we haven’t seen any of the EXTRA 20 pop up anywhere for sale anywhere.  Maybe @CGC Mike can shed some light as this was a shared CGC and BTC exclusive.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Ch7ulqXpN2y/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I don't think it's unrealistic that potential artist copies were cherry picked as well. Something similar happened with the Radiant Black #1 foil fiasco.

Also, looks like they were graded around Jan 10th. Maybe replacement copies for damaged ones with the whole case issue?

Edited by Tnexus

On 2/18/2023 at 8:12 PM, CHASEnBLUE said:

Unreal. I have 24 pinks, 17 graded 9.8, and one graded 9.6. The rest will be graded over the next few months.

Can I just get ONE 9.9? :sumo:

There's 50(!) 9.9 reds. It's amazing that when you team up with CGC suddenly your grades get higher.

On 2/19/2023 at 12:11 PM, Tnexus said:

Also, looks like they were graded around Jan 10th. Maybe replacement copies for damaged ones with the whole case issue?

Seems that if they were replacements then they should have replaced the number/book they replaced, 1 of 300 etc and the other should have been removed from the Census.

I’ll be honest, CGC has done some dumb stuff lately that (IMO) trivializes their position as ‘most trusted blah blah blah’ and makes them no better than the rest of the so-called ‘influencers’ screwing with the market nowadays.  I won't waste everyone’s time with the decisions they have made that makes ME personally not trust them with something like this.  Heck, the tone of their social media presence has influencer written all over it, not ‘impartial’ third party grader.

CGC just does what they want… they don’t care that anyone bought a book because it was declared to be one of only 300 and now there are 320.  The coincidence of an even numbered 20 (not 19, not 16, not 3, etc) additional 9.8’s (no 9.6, 9.4, etc) just makes me think they pulled some move and graded 20 more for their own use. If my source is correct, Artists were comped three copies each which makes it even harder to understand the even number of 20 x 9.8.

The BTC video went WAY out of it’s way to attest that all 700 others were to be destroyed ‘by CGC’, and after the whole ‘Acetategate’ I don’t think they are about to ruin their name over 20 books.  The untouchable CGC on the other hand could care less what anyone thinks.

In the end it makes no difference about how I feel about the book… I was happy to get mine from BTC when it sold, I would just like CGC to explain how they graded 20 books that were supposed to have been destroyed.

On 2/19/2023 at 12:26 PM, Tnexus said:

There's 50(!) 9.9 reds. It's amazing that when you team up with CGC suddenly your grades get higher.

It does make one scratch their head!  Man, I bust my butt attempting to discern the difference between a 9.8 and 9.6.  Look years for a 9.8 copy when I have a sweet 9.6 but… if you pay attention to the Census for long enough and see what happens in some cases, it just makes no sense. 

About a week and a half ago there were zero 9.9 Pinks, suddenly there are 17 x 9.9!!  I mean, what the :censored:!

If they would just open up the 'pay for grades' option to everyone, they would make a boatload of money. They've already shown that they have no problem with doing this ('acetategate', this Superman thing, etc), why not give everyone the same opportunity?

On 2/19/2023 at 7:03 PM, Iconic1s said:

Heck, the tone of their social media presence has influencer written all over it, not ‘impartial’ third party grader.

No doubt.  I follow on Insta, and they present themselves as anything but an impartial grading service.   Pimping the latest hot books, etc.

I look forward to the end of this age of encapsulation.

• Administrator
On 2/19/2023 at 7:47 AM, CGC Mike said:
On 2/19/2023 at 12:02 AM, Iconic1s said:

Maybe @CGC Mike can shed some light as this was a shared CGC and BTC exclusive.

I have sent an e-mail asking.

20 copies were accidentally duplicated in our system, but the error was identified and corrected. It may take a week or so for the census to update, but it should reflect the fix to show 300 copies. Our senior modern finalizer personally handled the grading and numbering of those copies and confirmed that only 300 were graded.

On 2/20/2023 at 10:57 AM, CGC Mike said:

20 copies were accidentally duplicated in our system, but the error was identified and corrected. It may take a week or so for the census to update, but it should reflect the fix to show 300 copies. Our senior modern finalizer personally handled the grading and numbering of those copies and confirmed that only 300 were graded.

That is awesome Mike!  Thanks for the  quick clarification!  Sorry to have doubted you (CGC) on this!