• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it poor taste to make an offer to an eBay seller?
1 1

42 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2022 at 12:55 PM, Funnybooks said:

also, read the fine print.

There are sellers that will not entertain offers and state that specifically in their description

I have seen that, and I think it's smart for sellers to state that. I am one that actually reads through descriptions for seller policies (since I'm a seller myself). I lowball on Ebay all the time. I'm looking for the seller who's desperate to move a book.

On 9/27/2022 at 3:39 PM, davidpg said:

And ask nicely, with good grammar and full sentences...that goes a long way I've found ;)

This is important. While I might not be accepting offers on an item, if the person asks nicely, I might send him an offer if/when I need to unload the book. 

I hate getting offers that only include a number ex: $175!  :facepalm:

It's fine.  Worst case is they won't respond.

For one thing, not every one agrees what a lowball is.  For instance, just a few days ago someone had something posted for $120 BIN, and it had been up for 6 months. I consider it "worth" about $50, and the last ones that sold were also around $50.  I sent him a message offering $60.  To me, that's a good offer--above actual value.  But just based on the asking price, I guess it's a lowball.  I wasn't expecting a response.  He did not respond.