• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it poor taste to make an offer to an eBay seller?
1 1

42 posts in this topic

I have limited time to shower with books. Detective 475 in 9.4 seem to be selling for around 300$. The ones I saw for 300$ were not centered well. Found this one on eBay centered  perfectly for 349.00. I sent seller a BM offering 300$. they accepted

Edited by NoMan

On 9/27/2022 at 5:59 PM, Dewus2? said:

I think if the auction doesn't have an "or Best Offer" link then it's rude to send an unsolicited offer in the first place.

I disagree.  And I've had plenty of people accept offers made in this manner.  You can ignore them or you can do a simple "Thanks for your interest, but" response.  Not a big deal.

On 9/27/2022 at 2:35 PM, NoMan said:

They accepted. Cool. Thanks all

Just be aware that since they accepted that offer, you may have left some money on the table.  Don't be afraid of being told no.  The market is rapidly changing and many sellers don't recognize the current reality.

On 9/27/2022 at 4:57 PM, NoMan said:

I have limited time to shower with books. Detective 475 in 9.4 seem to be selling for around 300$. The ones I saw for 300$ were not centered well. Found this one on eBay centered  perfectly for 349.00. I sent seller a BM offering 300$. they accepted

Whoa.  I have it for a long time and I didn't realize the value has gone up.  I bought it for $10 in 15 years ago.

On 9/27/2022 at 4:47 PM, Poekaymon said:

It's fine.  Worst case is they won't respond.

For one thing, not every one agrees what a lowball is.  For instance, just a few days ago someone had something posted for $120 BIN, and it had been up for 6 months. I consider it "worth" about $50, and the last ones that sold were also around $50.  I sent him a message offering $60.  To me, that's a good offer--above actual value.  But just based on the asking price, I guess it's a lowball.  I wasn't expecting a response.  He did not respond.

This! I’m sorry but if the guy is asking double fmv, your half off offer is not a lowball. 

On 9/27/2022 at 5:31 PM, JollyComics said:

Whoa.  I have it for a long time and I didn't realize the value has gone up.  I bought it for $10 in 15 years ago.

Please do your own research as I’m not the end all to be all, however, 300$ seem to be the going (asking) price of a 9.4. 

I really spend about 10 minutes looking. I don’t make a vocation of searching the world for comic prices. 

Edited by NoMan

On 9/27/2022 at 8:50 PM, NoMan said:

Please do your own research as I’m not the end all to be all, however, 300$ seem to be the going (asking) price of a 9.4. 

I really spend about 10 minutes looking. I don’t make a vocation of searching the world for comic prices. 

Sorry if I offended you.  I already checked GoCollect and GPAnalysis. Those prices astonished me!   I pay attention to Neal Adams' Batman and Tec and didn't look enough hard at Marshall Rogers' work.

Your price for Tec 475 is right. I would do same thing.

On 9/27/2022 at 7:49 PM, JollyComics said:

Sorry if I offended you.  I already checked GoCollect and GPAnalysis. Those prices astonished me!   I pay attention to Neal Adams' Batman and Tec and didn't look enough hard at Marshall Rogers' work.

Your price for Tec 475 is right. I would do same thing.

No offense. I’m trying to say I’m pretty much an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and what I think is kinda..well.., idiotic 

I do this often. The eBay software itself will recognize a messaged offer and prompt the seller with something like, poorly remembered here, "This member appears to be making an offer. Do you want to send an offer to them?" That's smart software and UX design that gives would-be buyers a better chance at success.

I try to make reasonable offers and keep messages short, on point, and polite. If I do offer something significantly lower, I'll politely explain why, again trying to be concise.

Most recently, I landed a Joe Jusko Thor cover that was on sale, but I waited too long and missed the special price. I messaged and offered that price and had the comic in hand within a week. In fact it's still on the display shelf. 😁

Edited by DavidTheDavid
Fixed a comma, grilled a llama, met your momma.