• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A plea for professionalism
4 4

65 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2022 at 6:40 PM, Robert Doggett said:

CGC/Blackstone,

Please return back to your days of integrity.  I am so tired of seeing grades all over the map that shouldn't belong to the books that are encapsulated in the same case.  I have two examples, both within the last few months to show the lack of attention, professionalism and management needed to run a successful company.  I realize CGC must have hired a LOT of unskilled graders to push out the moderns at record speed.  Hence the 20 day turnaround times.  I get it, you want your customers to get their books back quickly.  As a customer (I can't speak for everyone, mind you),I want quality over quantity every time.  If you speed up the process without jeopardizing the accuracy of the grading, I think the mass majority would be all in for that.

I realize that some people are going to call me whiner, cryer, spoiled brat for not getting the grade I wanted.  Life isn't fair and all that jazz, but I discount those comments because those will most likely be the CGC fanboys, the ones that will defend CGC tooth and nail.  I'm tired of the inaccurate grading and the laziness of the staff to perform some sort of quality control.  Books graded 9.4 and below should have some kind of grader notes to identify issues with books.  Keeping in mind that 9.8 is not a perfect book and there is room for a slight flaw here and there.

Grades have been harsh on most books lately.  I took a big hit on my Moon Knight run because of strict grading.  I didn't complain, just kind of rolled with the punches.  I probably lost a grand on them due to the uncalled for low grades but I live and learn daily.  It's a part of life.

The first book I wanted to talk about is a Marvel Team-Up I submitted that was flawless.  Bright colors, sharp corners, perfectly flat, not a spine tick in it anywhere.  I am thinking about sending it back in to get it regraded because I believe it deserves a 9.8.  Because of this, I am not stating an issue number or posting pics of it.  

The second is Warlock 19.  Spine ticks pretty consistent down the spine of the book with several color breaks along the way.  The bottom left corner is blunted.  I question how this book gets by CGC's quality control.

FFE15141-C757-4822-8F08-9DDED0CDADBA.thumb.jpeg.290c3cd96ce23a26e7ddbd0009e10ebd.jpegF4F36325-C94A-4482-9CB5-D89814A1FDCF.thumb.jpeg.193610cf28f19c41f559a0c25aad8910.jpeg83568CEA-3939-4177-A53D-666F9FF0005F.thumb.jpeg.864b43c9058fa1783fe9d69f4009ace1.jpeg

36942270-EF73-43D2-BE4A-A1A6E136861A.thumb.jpeg.34be36ecd0c2f0de6db30cab65b5bc83.jpeg

And lastly, this GI Joe.  I have been contacted by CGC about this book to be resubmitted free of charge and graded properly.  Since it is not my book, all I could do was contact the owner and they refused to resubmit it due to principal.  

10498B3A-6761-44AA-839C-6158EE0EE26C.thumb.jpeg.f7cbe2fb8b3d7b192342e46c95ee5148.jpeg2E6DF042-167B-4EFC-8CE0-6AAE3C510F6B.thumb.jpeg.7666ff26075184bd8d9aa769facc5e9b.jpeg

Neither one of these books that are pictured should have left CGC as they were.  This is a gross failure on many people's part and for them to get by everyone is shameful!  So some books get graded harshly, others unexplainably soft.  For me, it's a spoon shoot as to what grade I'm going to get.  It's making me shy away from grading for the time being.  I can grade better than the employees they have doing this at the moment.  Why pay for THIS service?  

I just want CGC to recognize the books that are leaving their offices and possibly have a senior grader skim over the books that the untrained grader has attempted to grade.  This should not ever happen.

Stepping down from my soapbox.

That is a scary if it's not your book while someone else has your book.  I have a similar copy at 9.6 with a clean spine but this is definitely not 9.6 which is NOT a normal.  I decided to take pictures of my raw copies before submissions. @CGC Mike Is this a good idea to take the pictures of my books before I submit that would prevent a mix up?  I checked this website and it didn't ask to provide the pictures.

• Administrator
On 9/27/2022 at 8:25 PM, JollyComics said:

@CGC Mike Is this a good idea to take the pictures of my books before I submit that would prevent a mix up?  I checked this website and it didn't ask to provide the pictures.

It doesn't hurt to have before pics, in case a problem occurs.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:01 PM, thehumantorch said:

Well Robert, I can't see how either of the books you've posted graded out 9.6.  They're at a glance lower grade.

I’m not expecting things to change but am hopeful the right people at CGC see this and realize change needs to happen.

I don’t have a beef with CGC at all but I’m not going to defend them when they let things like this happen way too frequently anymore.

I also recently received a book back from CGC and wasn't satisfied with the grade. Was a Wolverine #1 graded 9.6. Book is pristine and definitely should be a 9.8. It looks better than many of other 9.8's that I have. Very disappointed in the outcome. It's why I only buy graded comics. Basically a toss of the dice of which grade you'll recieve.

wow, that GI Joe.... maybe a 7.5 at best

CGC probably does get it right 95 % of the time, but when the errors happen, it's egregious...

I tried the 9.8 pre screen route  but I think that's just a scam for CGC (for different reasons)..very inconsistent and books in worse shape when returned..but how does one get compensation..it's a perfect system for them to scam you..plausible deniability 

Edited by Ed Hanes

Always scan your books before they leave your possession.   I cannot emphasize that enough.  I would imagine that CGC gets around 238 copies of New Mutants 98 each day. 

On 9/27/2022 at 7:40 PM, Robert Doggett said:

And lastly, this GI Joe.  I have been contacted by CGC about this book to be resubmitted free of charge and graded properly.  Since it is not my book, all I could do was contact the owner and they refused to resubmit it due to principal.  

2E6DF042-167B-4EFC-8CE0-6AAE3C510F6B.thumb.jpeg.7666ff26075184bd8d9aa769facc5e9b.jpeg

owner and they refused to resubmit it due to principal.

Please explain what that principal is?  The only one I can think of they lack morals and ethics and intend on selling it around FMV for a 9.6 newsstand via venue in which no returns are accepted. 

But yeah I agree CGC Q/C is pretty much non-existent and as long as they inundated with business that will not change.  Truly strong competition with associated perception is the only way things will change but sadly none exists.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/27/2022 at 10:56 PM, MAR1979 said:

Please explain what that principal is?  The only one I can think of they lack morals and ethics and intend on selling it around FMV for a 9.6 newsstand via venue in which no returns are accepted. 

But yeah I agree CGC Q/C is pretty much non-existent and as long as they inundated with business that will not change.  Truly strong competition with associated perception is the only way things will change but sadly none exists.

Not for me to say.  And he’d be hard pressed to find a buyer for the book that’ll pay 9.6 prices.

I just want someone in the ranks step up and take charge of the situation.  Someone should be embarrassed with the quality of CGC’s work that has a say in day to day operations.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:43 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Doing things half-assed is an epidemic.  If one bothers to look, you'll see it everywhere.  Minimal effort, just good enough, mail it in.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

And according to those history reading people, it didn't fall in a day either. 

Thankfully I'll likely be long gone by the time the lizard people take over.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:56 PM, MAR1979 said:

On 9/27/2022 at 11:42 PM, Robert Doggett said:

Not for me to say.  And he’d be hard pressed to find a buyer for the book that’ll pay 9.6 prices.

At a perceived slightly below FMV price on some social media platform w/blurry cell phone pics, with copy that states "It's a Newsstand Baby" - only accepting a non-refundable payment method it will sell to some "buy the label" person. Never underestimate the vast supply of both rubes and unethical comic book sellers.

Edited by MAR1979