• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record sale for foreign comics, Non canon ASM wedding issue sold for 15k+
1 1

65 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2022 at 4:38 PM, Las Tua said:

Oh, I didn't realize that Marvel comics were originally published in Spanish, then translated into English. My bad :makepoint:

On 10/5/2022 at 4:44 PM, Las Tua said:

Yes, because they're all reprints/derivatives of American comics (thumbsu 

As much as I'm sure I'll regret engaging with you, I just want to suggest the specific issue in question defies both these claims, as it was originally published in Spanish, and has not been officially translated into English (although I think they made a German edition a few years ago).  It is also not a reprint of American comics, but certainly is derivative.

Not everyone likes international editions of comics, and that's fine.  It's clear you are in this camp, and that's fine.  So noted.  Move on.

On 10/5/2022 at 3:21 PM, Bronty said:

Obviously Marvel still had to approve it for the Mexican audience: they control the IP.   So based on what I’m hearing here , it IS canon it’s just Mexican canon not US canon.    Neat that they diverged.    Knowing the backstory certainly makes me more interested in the book although I’d need at least a decimal shift to bite.

It's unclear whether or not Marvel approved the story.  Bear in mind the office politics in Marvel at this time: Stan Lee was the man in charge, but he was pretty distracted by other things.  Allegedly, Stan Lee approved the death of Gwen Stacy without really reading the proposal, then was pretty mad when they actually killed her.  It's pretty easy to imagine the Mexican publisher La Prensa calling to say they wanted to make some changes to be more appealing to the local audience and whoever answered the phone at Marvel saying "Sure, sure. Whatever you need."

I guess it is fair to say it's Mexican canon, because it definitely was part of their regular published run of the series.  The non-canon issues are pretty easy to identify, as they usually have a damsel on the cover and involve fighting aliens or robots or something.  They also made some non-canon Master of Kung Fu and a few others.

392051.jpg

392035.jpg

On 10/5/2022 at 3:21 PM, Bronty said:

Obviously Marvel still had to approve it for the Mexican audience: they control the IP.   So based on what I’m hearing here , it IS canon it’s just Mexican canon not US canon.    Neat that they diverged.    Knowing the backstory certainly makes me more interested in the book although I’d need at least a decimal shift to bite.

It may be "canon" in the multiverse sort-of way, but if we're talking canon in the sense of his mainstream history, then it seems clear that this doesn't factor.

On 10/6/2022 at 11:50 AM, wardevil0 said:

As much as I'm sure I'll regret engaging with you, I just want to suggest the specific issue in question defies both these claims, as it was originally published in Spanish, and has not been officially translated into English (although I think they made a German edition a few years ago).  It is also not a reprint of American comics, but certainly is derivative.

Not everyone likes international editions of comics, and that's fine.  It's clear you are in this camp, and that's fine.  So noted.  Move on.

There is a german fan reprint. Costs about $ 20 or so.

On 10/6/2022 at 12:31 AM, Dr. Balls said:

lol Good ole America bashing - the Millennial method of having a discussion with people they disagree with - including a healthy side of “…you do realize…”  for maximum righteous indignation, and let’s not forget a barfing emoticon - you know, ‘cause America is disgusting!

Written like a well-read 12 year old. :eyeroll:

In what way am I bashing America? You seem to be making A LOT of assumptions about me from one post.  

On 10/6/2022 at 5:21 AM, Bronty said:

Would they have been approving it? They thought they were just sending it reprints, going by one version of events. Would they have checked those? 

On 10/6/2022 at 6:58 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It may be "canon" in the multiverse sort-of way, but if we're talking canon in the sense of his mainstream history, then it seems clear that this doesn't factor.

Its not well known canon, sure, but its canon.

On 10/6/2022 at 8:42 AM, Cat said:

Would they have been approving it? They thought they were just sending it reprints, going by one version of events. Would they have checked those? 

who can say for sure, and its true that it was a different time, but for the most part you don't let partners run around willy nilly with your IP.    

On 10/6/2022 at 2:59 PM, Bronty said:

but for the most part you don't let partners run around willy nilly with your IP. 

I had to read that at least three times before concluding it wasn't rude :bigsmile:

On 10/6/2022 at 4:50 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

He can speak for himself of course, but Steve's an OK chap and I don't think he's like that at all. He's just taken umbrage at Stu's provocations, which is exactly what Stu looks for when he creates these shill accounts, having been banned long ago. There's a little bit of history with the international books, where people have had to sort of fight to get a little recognition and understanding, and this can generate a defensive attitude at times. I don't think we should judge a person's character too harshly based on one comment on a chat board. Steve's OK, and he's just sticking up for the books, I think.

I can accept that - I'm not big on the "America Bad" attitude when it comes to any sort of discussion, so I can get a little tilted on that. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he was incensed - and I didn't realize that Stu was lurking in the thread.

To Mr. Steve: :foryou:

On 10/6/2022 at 9:59 PM, 10centcomics said:

I need to clear up a few misconceptions here:

• Peter doesn't marry Gwen in this issue. While the cover and opening splash depict a wedding scene, it is revealed that the wedding is a delusional vision that Peter has while under the effect of Green Goblin's gas.
  • This issue was published in May 1972, which places it before ASM #121 (March 1973). So this wasn't a response to Gwen Stacy's death. 

Plus a fun fact: Gwen is wearing pentagram earrings on the cover! I wonder if that was art swiped from some Warren magazine. 

Interesting. So the super-geniuses trying to pump this garbage don't even have a clue what they're talking about!

On 10/6/2022 at 10:59 PM, 10centcomics said:

• Peter doesn't marry Gwen in this issue. While the cover and opening splash depict a wedding scene, it is revealed that the wedding is a delusional vision that Peter has while under the effect of Green Goblin's gas.
  • This issue was published in May 1972, which places it before ASM #121 (March 1973). So this wasn't a response to Gwen Stacy's death. 

Plus a fun fact: Gwen is wearing pentagram earrings on the cover! I wonder if that was art swiped from some Warren magazine. 

FDF50628-544C-4CD9-9A56-93B372F716B1.gif.31d62b8eab51494c2e09814b48654fa9.gif

. So this wasn't a response to Gwen Stacy's death. 

Pentagram? You can't see the entire shape but that's a Star of David design not a pentagram.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

I personally have never regarded this issue as a “response” to Gwen Stacy’s death but rather the whole non canon run as the Mexican publishers way of showing love for Gwen in general. You are 100% correct on the dates but don’t forget that la prensa for what ever reason did not publish 121 and 122 but rather continued with the non canon stories until almost 1974 after Gwen was dead in American comics. 121 was later published by MACC comics in July 1974 when they assumed the rights to Spiderman from marvel. They to had a run of non canon marvel comics including Spider-Man, Black Panther and a few other marvel properties.

CFA5A5B0-77DD-4B95-8503-C28250D84C0E.jpeg

79691B56-A396-4A6C-B311-BBB331F48847.jpeg

6AB843CD-CA45-4DF1-B7A7-745127090530.jpeg

A3C18A36-D8B4-4513-BCA1-B66B39FD7899.jpeg

On 10/6/2022 at 12:31 AM, Dr. Balls said:

lol Good ole America bashing - the Millennial method of having a discussion with people they disagree with - including a healthy side of “…you do realize…”  for maximum righteous indignation, and let’s not forget a barfing emoticon - you know, ‘cause America is disgusting!

Written like a well-read 12 year old. :eyeroll:

Someone collects international comics and that equals they hate America? When this thread seems to be trying to downplay anything not printed in english that is elitist. Also another stupid counter arguement made to an actual legit response of someone in here who can appreciate materials from around the world. Really no wonder CGC forums are dying. I didn't realize it was full of dinosaurs