• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal institutes $2500 fine for anyone who promotes "misinformation" and then pulls the rule after massive public backlash.
8 8

401 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2022 at 4:25 PM, VintageComics said:

Anyway, this thread has become the De Facto grievances thread again, so I'm going to politely excuse myself out of it. 

Like I said, I was shocked nobody was discussing this move by Paypal and it's certainly changed how a lot of people will do business moving forward. 

I’ll disagree with you here roy. Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? No. I did the numbers earlier. There was no drop in active accounts after the $600 threshold change in the beginning of the year, and their revenue actually increased.  A large, vocal group claimed then they were done with paypal when that change happened (and that change has very real implications, as people who would normally not pay the taxes they owe because they’re not forced to report are now forced to report) so if THAT change didn’t effect the business, why would a reversed change that may or may not have impacted individuals cause them to leave. 

On 10/12/2022 at 4:26 PM, jaybuck43 said:

I’ll disagree with you here roy. Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? No. I did the numbers earlier. There was no drop in active accounts after the $600 threshold change in the beginning of the year, and their revenue actually increased.  A large, vocal group claimed then they were done with paypal when that change happened (and that change has very real implications, as people who would normally not pay the taxes they owe because they’re not forced to report are now forced to report) so if THAT change didn’t effect the business, why would a reversed change that may or may not have impacted individuals cause them to leave. 

Sounds like a misunderstanding.

On 10/12/2022 at 3:26 PM, jaybuck43 said:

My master plan every time there's a new policy from Paypal or Ebay

jim-carrey-liar.gif.75f2880726411c56f361fd66412b0fef.gif

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 10/12/2022 at 2:26 PM, jaybuck43 said:

The point is that PP is threatening users with speech penalties.  Sooner or later, depending on how the war goes, they will still be around or they won't 

On 10/12/2022 at 12:10 PM, CGC Mike said:

I recommend having @Domo Arigato start a poll.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:25 PM, jsilverjanet said:

please @Domo Arigato start the poll to ban @Buzzetta

I can certainly understand why everybody hates Buzzetta's drunken monkey style of posting and wants to see him banned from the forum.  I think we're all tired of reading his posts about how he believes he's the new Queen of England, and is withholding food from his 47 cats because they refuse to bow to him.

But I simply don't have the time to deal with polls anymore.  Right now, I'm focusing all of my attention on being the best friend to ttfitz that this forum has ever had the pleasure of witnessing.  Does anybody think that's easy?  Pretending to like someone with a massive goiter on his neck is far from it.  But.....I'm a professional......and it's my job to show people what they too could be enjoying for only $997 a month.

On 10/12/2022 at 5:26 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Because some people will choose who they deal with out of principle but not out of greed. 

But why are you trying to defend a maybe? (shrug)

On 10/12/2022 at 5:42 PM, Logan510 said:

Sounds like a misunderstanding.

This is another one of those subtle troll posts with an agenda behind it pointed square at me. Just subtle enough that most wouldn't get it (especially moderation) but he's been doing it for years, if not a decade. 

Casey always like to toss in the word "misunderstanding" when I'm involved with a discussion and it's meant to be a diss every time he does it.

It doesn't...but that's the intention. :D 

Just thought I'd point that out for everyone. 

On 10/12/2022 at 5:26 PM, jaybuck43 said:

I would question one aspect of the numbers.  They may reflect revenue but are they reflecting active participants?

Are fewer people using PayPal but generating a higher number of sales and revenue?

I mentioned this to you earlier, I am seeing fewer sellers in my usual Lego, GI Joe, and Star Wars groups this year.  I am seeing a greater number of P2P offerings only.   I saw one group on Facebook add a lot more members which focused on local toy trading. 

Is it possible that PayPal is pushing more businesses to use it as a means to pay retailers?  I am pretty sure that Lego.com actually accepts PayPal these days as do a few other retailers. 

Edited by Buzzetta

No matter what... I am sure that PayPal is still here to stay... it will still be a viable means for conducting online transactions between one person to another regardless of whether or not it is the dirtiest player in the game.   It's like Space Mountain.  It might be the oldest ride in the park but it still has the longest line.

To paraphrase @jaybuck43, PayPal will be used from one person to another, "then, now, together, forever."

On 10/12/2022 at 6:58 PM, Buzzetta said:

No matter what... I am sure that PayPal is still here to stay... it will still be a viable means for conducting online transactions between one person to another regardless of whether or not it is the dirtiest player in the game.   It's like Space Mountain.  It might be the oldest ride in the park but it still has the longest line.

To paraphrase @jaybuck43, PayPal will be used from one person to another, "then, now, together, forever."

Blockbuster was once King....

On 10/12/2022 at 3:58 PM, Buzzetta said:

I think it would be good for people to consider who owns PP?  There's gotta be somebody backing them a little higher up the financial ladder, and thus telling them what policy will be.

On 10/12/2022 at 6:58 PM, Buzzetta said:

No matter what... I am sure that PayPal is still here to stay... it will still be a viable means for conducting online transactions between one person to another regardless of whether or not it is the dirtiest player in the game. 

I like that new Silver Surfer in robins egg blue avatar...

On 10/12/2022 at 7:00 PM, Senormac said:

I think it would be good for people to consider who owns PP?  There's gotta be somebody backing them a little higher up the financial ladder, and thus telling them what policy will be.

What's the matter with having the right to use PayPal come with obligations, as all rights do?

Were you complaining when E-Bay refused to offer World War II era Nazi memorabilia on their platform?

Edited by namisgr

On 10/12/2022 at 4:02 PM, namisgr said:

What's the matter with having the right to use PayPal come with obligations, as all rights do?

Again, I think it would be good for people to consider who owns PP and look at other moves that financial institution is putting in motion through their assets.  The push for world domination is in full swing. 

On 10/12/2022 at 12:53 PM, jaybuck43 said:

@CGC MikeMind updating my custom title to "Official CGC Factchecker?"  I already do the job for free anyway lol 

old style custom titles cannot be changed! :makepoint:

-sub fact-checker in training