• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal institutes $2500 fine for anyone who promotes "misinformation" and then pulls the rule after massive public backlash.
8 8

401 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2022 at 7:02 PM, namisgr said:

What's the matter with having the right to use PayPal come with obligations, as all rights do?

Nothing.

As long as the rights and obligations go in BOTH directions. :D

And what people are talking about in this thread and what you are glossing over is how they usually just head in one direction. Towards Big Money but not away from them. 

On 10/12/2022 at 7:02 PM, namisgr said:

Were you complaining when E-Bay refused to offer World War II era Nazi memorabilia on their platform?

Everyone should have been against that. :screwy:

Historic relics are just that - historic relics. 

Does everyone know that the word "slave" is derived from the word "Slav" harkening back to the Ottoman empire when Slavic people were enslaved for almost 400 years? If you had a "Slav" it meant you had a slave. 

Should we now ban relics from the Ottoman empire? Ban the word slave?

Being Slavic, should I now be offended if someone collects Ottoman empire relics?

Policing history is ridiculous and a step backwards. 

On 10/12/2022 at 7:13 PM, Senormac said:

Again, I think it would be good for people to consider who owns PP and look at other moves that financial institution is putting in motion through their assets.  The push for world domination is in full swing. 

This has got to be a joke.  PYPL has a market capitalization of under $100 billion and the shares have lost 70% of their value in the past 12 months.  Whoever owns them (and it's a matter of public record as required by the Securities and Exchange Commission, and if it genuinely mattered to you for whatever reason you could find out in under two minutes) lost bucketloads of bucks of late.

Edited by namisgr

On 10/12/2022 at 6:58 PM, Buzzetta said:

No matter what... I am sure that PayPal is still here to stay... it will still be a viable means for conducting online transactions between one person to another regardless of whether or not it is the dirtiest player in the game.   It's like Space Mountain.  It might be the oldest ride in the park but it still has the longest line.

To paraphrase @jaybuck43, PayPal will be used from one person to another, "then, now, together, forever."

“Then, now, forever, together.”

-Cgc fact checker

(p.s. The total number of active user topped at 426 million in December 2021 and has remained at that number since. The revenue however has risen from 6.2 billion in June 2021 to 6.8 billion in June 2022. So they’re making 500 million more for the quarter. June 2022 was their largest profit quarter)

On 10/12/2022 at 4:17 PM, namisgr said:

This has got to be a joke.  PYPL has a market capitalization of under $100 billion and the shares have lost 70% of their value in the past 12 months.  

What is that supposed to mean?  Are you saying PP's value has gone down by 70%??  Are you saying that happened because people were speaking about things PP didn't want them to and they finally got around to placing fines on those individuals? 

On 10/12/2022 at 7:22 PM, Senormac said:

What is that supposed to mean?  Are you saying PP's value has gone down by 70%?? YES

Are you saying that happened because people were speaking about things PP didn't want them to and they finally got around to placing fines on those individuals?  OF COURSE NOT

On 10/12/2022 at 4:20 PM, jaybuck43 said:

-Cgc fact checker

(p.s. The total number of active user topped at 426 million in December 2021 and has remained at that number since. The revenue however has risen from 6.2 billion in June 2021 to 6.8 billion in June 2022. So they’re making 500 million more for the quarter. June 2022 was their largest profit quarter)

I think you and jaybuck  need to get on the same page namisgr

On 10/12/2022 at 7:26 PM, Senormac said:

No he’s correct.  The stock was trading at $256.36 a year ago and it’s $83.81 today. Roughly a 68% drop over a year. They made a bunch of bad investments and profit was down. People sold the stock.

On 10/12/2022 at 7:26 PM, Senormac said:

I think you'd benefit from an ability to find publicly available facts, separate from conspiracy theories.  Mine are illustrated below.  Jay's are spot on as well.  The symbol for PayPal stock, if you want to do any information gathering, is PYPL, as written before.

image.thumb.png.e07cbcbab0957651a5346caba9e43e90.png 

Edited by namisgr

On 10/12/2022 at 4:30 PM, jaybuck43 said:

No he’s correct.  The stock was trading at $256.36 a year ago and it’s $83.81 today. Roughly a 68% drop over a year. They made a bunch of bad investments and profit was down. People sold the stock.

HAH !!  You mean you tried to sneak some "misinformation" past all the fine people here? 

On 10/12/2022 at 4:34 PM, Doctor Dositheus said:

So if I have a Hulk 181 on the bay and call it Wolverine's first appearance I can't take paypal for the book because I'm spreading misinformation? 

But maybe if you have a Hulk 180 on the bay and call it that.....   the verdict is still going through the courts

On 10/12/2022 at 7:30 PM, jaybuck43 said:

In that case, publishing a rule that projects an ideology may alienate one part of a fan base but actually attract another. 

And even temporarily publishing that rule and then retracting it can totally virtue signal their position to a segment of society what their corporate beliefs are and attract that very segment that approves. 

That actually may not be a bad business business move if the business realizes they can't have all the customers but they're willing to attract HALF of them loyally by offering a service that polarizes the population. 

Kind of like a club. Or an association. Or a group.  :D

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/12/2022 at 7:34 PM, Doctor Dositheus said:

So if I have a Hulk 181 on the bay and call it Wolverine's first appearance I can't take paypal for the book because I'm spreading misinformation? 

not-sure-if-serious-memegenerator-net-not-sure-if-serious-49262878.png

On 10/12/2022 at 4:40 PM, Doctor Dositheus said:

I wonder who sits on the Comic Book Supreme Court... hm

Well, right now I think the Overstreet groupies are in charge, because they have the most Hulk 181 investors, thanks to what the guide says.  

But the hunters and trackers, the Lewis and Clarks of the comic collecting universe if you will, are gathering steam. 

On 10/12/2022 at 4:14 PM, VintageComics said:

Nothing.

As long as the rights and obligations go in BOTH directions. :D

And what people are talking about in this thread and what you are glossing over is how they usually just head in one direction. Towards Big Money but not away from them. 

Everyone should have been against that. :screwy:

Historic relics are just that - historic relics. 

Does everyone know that the word "slave" is derived from the word "Slav" harkening back to the Ottoman empire when Slavic people were enslaved for almost 400 years? If you had a "Slav" it meant you had a slave. 

Should we now ban relics from the Ottoman empire? Ban the word slave?

Being Slavic, should I now be offended if someone collects Ottoman empire relics?

Policing history is ridiculous and a step backwards. 

excellent analysis.  those who erase history are doomed to repeat it, in fact it is happening, now.