• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal institutes $2500 fine for anyone who promotes "misinformation" and then pulls the rule after massive public backlash.
8 8

401 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2022 at 1:05 AM, Logan510 said:

:ohnoez:

You've never excused yourself out of a room. Or from a dinner table? Or from a discussion? lol

Was it permanent?

I said what I did as a figure of speech because the discussion was heating up and knowing I'd return, which I did when Jaybuck quoted me. 

Dude. I never even reply to you. I don't think  I have in years. Stop obsessing. You'll fee better. I promise. :foryou:

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/13/2022 at 12:41 AM, Lazyboy said:

I didn't get it right away, but it's always great when lies have consequences. Not that I necessarily want PayPal to play a part in that, but it needs to happen.

Yeah, I know what you mean. In the comments section of the story I was reading, people kept asking the questions I can't wrap my head around - what kind of person says those kind of things, and what kind of person believes it?

@jaybuck43

I cannot help but wonder if this was a poorly designed kneejerk reaction to the verdict in the radio host / Sandyhook case.   The verdict came out weeks ago so perhaps that was the impetus to some of the language.   I am by no means trying to justify what PayPal did here, but wondering where this is coming from. 

On 10/12/2022 at 9:41 PM, kav said:

that it is history-and as such should never be erased.

I agree in some cases that is definitely true.  However in others, I believe it is more complicated. 

When I was in elementary school I asked a question that I am still waiting for a real and thoughtful response for.   I have and had several family members with military service.   My question was something along the lines of, "Why do we name places after people who killed (American) soldiers?"  (Yeah, I was "that" kid sometimes.)

As an adult, I guess I will finally accept an answer that satisfies me when we name an FBI building after Timothy McVeigh.  After all, that was also "history". 

In many cases both sides of this look at it as a matter of one side or the other.  There are quite a few layers to this debate when it comes to erasing history versus who we honor. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 10/13/2022 at 4:42 AM, Sigur Ros said:

The statues? 

That they were once standing and aren't anymore.

That would make the implication of some sort of history being lost by their re-location just empty rhetoric.

On 10/12/2022 at 10:14 PM, VintageComics said:

You've never excused yourself out of a room. Or from a dinner table? Or from a discussion? lol

Was it permanent?

I said what I did as a figure of speech because the discussion was heating up and knowing I'd return, which I did when Jaybuck quoted me. 

Dude. I never even reply to you. I don't think  I have in years. Stop obsessing. You'll fee better. I promise. :foryou:

He do seem to obsess.  I never reply to anything he posts unless he starts going after me.  I couldnt care less about the dude but he sure seems obsessed with me :cloud9:

On 10/13/2022 at 1:41 AM, Buzzetta said:

I agree in some cases that is definitely true.  However in others, I believe it is more complicated. 

When I was in elementary school I asked a question that I am still waiting for a real and thoughtful response for.   I have and had several family members with military service.   My question was something along the lines of, "Why do we name places after people who killed (American) soldiers?"  (Yeah, I was "that" kid sometimes.)

As an adult, I guess I will finally accept an answer that satisfies me when we name an FBI building after Timothy McVeigh.  After all, that was also "history". 

In many cases both sides of this look at it as a matter of one side or the other.  There are quite a few layers to this debate when it comes to erasing history versus who we honor. 

what places?

On 10/13/2022 at 5:02 AM, namisgr said:

That would make the implication of some sort of history being lost by their re-location just empty rhetoric.

I wasn't implying anything, I just answered a question.  

But I do like that new definition of..."relocation".

confederate-monument-protest-durham-ap-jt-170815_31x13_992.thumb.jpg.580f01d9d062d8998a02d7572df69adb.jpg

On 10/13/2022 at 4:16 AM, Sigur Ros said:

But I do like that new definition of..."relocation".

confederate-monument-protest-durham-ap-jt-170815_31x13_992.thumb.jpg.580f01d9d062d8998a02d7572df69adb.jpg

The mental hoops some people can jump thru to justify their skewed world view man.

On 10/13/2022 at 7:16 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I didn't say you were.  It had already been posted that re-location of offensive but historically meaningful statues were examples of erasing history.  So I asked for support of that implication by asking what history the poster knew of that brought concern over its erasure.  Neither he nor you provided any so far.

Edited by namisgr

On 10/13/2022 at 4:34 AM, namisgr said:

It had already been posted that re-location of offensive but historically meaningful statues were examples of erasing history.   

um yeah can you show where this ever happened anywhere but in your own mind? :screwy:

On 10/13/2022 at 4:35 AM, Buzzetta said:

@jaybuck43

I cannot help but wonder if this was a poorly designed kneejerk reaction to the verdict in the radio host / Sandyhook case.   The verdict came out weeks ago so perhaps that was the impetus to some of the language.   I am by no means trying to justify what PayPal did here, but wondering where this is coming from. 

Don’t believe so. Similar language has and still does exist since 2021 for using PayPal for “hate” purposes, allowing for PayPal to fine you $2,500 per instance.

On 10/13/2022 at 4:35 AM, Buzzetta said:

@jaybuck43

That would be quite the harsh overreaction on PayPal's part. Not sure why they'd consider taking it out on their customers. lol

On 10/13/2022 at 7:34 AM, namisgr said:

I didn't say you were.  It had already been posted that re-location of offensive but historically meaningful statues were examples of erasing history.  So I asked for support of that implication by asking what history the poster knew of that brought concern over its erasure.  Neither he nor you provided any so far.

Offensive statues? Just because one is offended does not make them 'right'.