• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold a comic for $100. Buyer relists for $100K!
2 2

71 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2022 at 9:37 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I'm not going to miss my chance to be "wealthy". I 'm going to list my coverless copy for $75,000!

You are selling your book short - if that cover variant is so rare, imagine how rare a coverless cover variant version would be!

Edited by ttfitz
spelling

On 10/31/2022 at 5:19 PM, ttfitz said:

You are selling your book short - if that cover variant is so rare, imagine how rare a coverless cover variant version would be!

Manufactured coverless…

This reminds me of the early days here, and the search for the elusive ASM 122 “blue car variant”.   There’s a blue car on the bridge, but on most copies it’s barely visible.  This book seems to get wrapped to the front more often than back, and we used to jokingly search  for the unicorn of a copy that shows the whole blue car. 
530E98AD-E6AE-4A89-877F-3022308A5B43.jpeg.9756f950216ade67c2c99b79a9805511.jpeg

On 10/31/2022 at 6:40 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

This reminds me of the early days here, and the search for the elusive ASM 122 “blue car variant”.   There’s a blue car on the bridge, but on most copies it’s barely visible.  This book seems to get wrapped to the front more often than back, and we used to jokingly search  for the unicorn of a copy that shows the whole blue car. 
530E98AD-E6AE-4A89-877F-3022308A5B43.jpeg.9756f950216ade67c2c99b79a9805511.jpeg

Now I feel the need to search ebay for the elusive blue car.  Darn you Beyonder!!

On 10/30/2022 at 5:55 PM, littledoom said:

Does anyone know about this? Seems like he’s the only guy invested in it lol. I sold this comic in a #1-4 set for $100 back in September 2018. Probably worth double that now. To me this is merely miswrap. And it’s not even a newsstand edition or double cover lol. 

77092D83-B6CF-4F6F-A8C0-54BD45FCFB54.thumb.png.e64b086eebda4bda3c58dfcf5bdf535b.png

88D449F3-880A-473C-A16D-59428D99BC7D.thumb.png.57f492f73b2046c150cebbc114b6678e.png

0CF9CA26-8A02-4431-985B-3B76E2624039.jpeg.4641b3f4f8e3f3b6c315e4686937bb61.jpeg

we see this when people mistake rare for valuable.  an amateur mistake.  i have a drawing my dad did.  it is extremely rare.  the only drawing of that kind on the planet.

it is worth zippo.

On 11/1/2022 at 7:37 PM, kav said:

we see this when people mistake rare for valuable.  an amateur mistake.  i have a drawing my dad did.  it is extremely rare.  the only drawing of that kind on the planet.

it is worth zippo.

But was there a black line on the back of your Dad's art that ran from top to bottom?

On 10/31/2022 at 9:10 AM, Robot Man said:

Sure. Multiple covers and even out of register books are very popular and can bring some decent money. 

For everyone not familiar with the printing industry - they have convinced themselves they are rarities. In all actuality they are just a slip of the saddle-stitcher or printing mistakes that didn't make it to the trash bin. It's not like it's a unique mistake like printing the number of the issue wrong or forgetting to remove a piece of dialogue. They are mistakes that employees make and get overlooked, likely due to the tens of thousands that the print run is in.

For anyone curious, the black line is just a miswrap (as Ken Aldred pointed out earlier in the thread) - the reason that there aren't many like it is because they caught them and threw them into the trash. The bindery department miswrapped the cover (as you can see the amount of white pulled onto the front cover brings the not-to-be-printed-in-the-live-area black ink line into the "live" area of the back cover during assemblage) or trimmed the cover incorrectly (depending on how the printing plant puts the book together). The black line could be seen on the "parent sheet" (the large sheet of paper that is run through the printer) - the parent sheet can have 12-18 (depending on the size of the sheet) of the covers on it. The parent sheet only has the inside and outside covers because it's a different paper stock than the inside. They print many of the same cover on one large sheet of paper for cost efficiency (ganging up), and them trim them out to be assembled with the rest of the book. There are a few different ways to assemble a comic book off press, but regardless of how it was put together - one of the covers was cut improperly, made it past quality control (of which the first, middle and last of the run was probably inspected and that was it) then assembled onto the book.

If I ordered a hamburger with no pickles, and got one with pickles, I wouldn't be terribly excited that I just purchased something rare and unique - I'd just shrug my shoulders in acceptance that the guy putting it together didn't read the ticket right. But, to each their own, I guess.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 11/2/2022 at 12:49 AM, Dr. Balls said:

For everyone not familiar with the printing industry - they have convinced themselves they are rarities. In all actuality they are just a slip of the saddle-stitcher or printing mistakes that didn't make it to the trash bin. It's not like it's a unique mistake like printing the number of the issue wrong or forgetting to remove a piece of dialogue. They are mistakes that employees make and get overlooked, likely due to the tens of thousands that the print run is in.

For anyone curious, the black line is just a miswrap - the reason that there aren't many like it is because they caught them and threw them into the trash. The bindery department miswrapped the cover (as you can see the amount of white pulled onto the front cover brings the not-to-be-printed-in-the-live-area black ink line into the "live" area of the back cover during assemblage) or trimmed the cover incorrectly (depending on how the printing plant puts the book together). The black line could be seen on the "parent sheet" (the large sheet of paper that is run through the printer) - the parent sheet can have 12-18 (depending on the size of the sheet) of the covers on it. The parent sheet only has the inside and outside covers because it's a different paper stock than the inside. They print many of the same cover on one large sheet of paper for cost efficiency (ganging up), and them trim them out to be assembled with the rest of the book. There are a few different ways to assemble a comic book off press, but regardless of how it was put together - one of the covers was cut improperly, made it past quality control (of which the first, middle and last of the run was probably inspected and that was it) then assembled onto the book.

If I ordered a hamburger with no pickles, and got one with pickles, I wouldn't be terribly excited that I just purchased something rare and unique - I'd just shrug my shoulders in acceptance that the guy putting it together didn't read the ticket right. But, to each their own, I guess.

Absolutely. Nothing like, for example, the colour error McFarlane Spider-Man 1 Blue Lizard copies.

omg i have a woodgod that is UTTERLY UNIQUE!  The molecules composing this book are in NO OTHER COPIES!

omg

On 11/1/2022 at 11:37 PM, kav said:

it is worth zippo.

It wouldn’t come to market, anyway, as to you it’s priceless.

On 11/2/2022 at 4:30 AM, kav said:

omg i have a woodgod that is UTTERLY UNIQUE!  The molecules composing this book are in NO OTHER COPIES!

omg

Verification, please.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/1/2022 at 5:49 PM, Dr. Balls said:

For anyone curious, the black line is just a miswrap - the reason that there aren't many like it is because they caught them and threw them into the trash. The bindery department miswrapped the cover (as you can see the amount of white pulled onto the front cover brings the not-to-be-printed-in-the-live-area black ink line into the "live" area of the back cover during assemblage) or trimmed the cover incorrectly (depending on how the printing plant puts the book together). The black line could be seen on the "parent sheet" (the large sheet of paper that is run through the printer) - the parent sheet can have 12-18 (depending on the size of the sheet) of the covers on it. The parent sheet only has the inside and outside covers because it's a different paper stock than the inside. They print many of the same cover on one large sheet of paper for cost efficiency (ganging up), and them trim them out to be assembled with the rest of the book. There are a few different ways to assemble a comic book off press, but regardless of how it was put together - one of the covers was cut improperly, made it past quality control (of which the first, middle and last of the run was probably inspected and that was it) then assembled onto the book.

The fact that a vertical black line gets this guy wild is laughable. Green Lantern 1 New 52 “tear drop” lol