• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see those tape pulls....
3 3

93 posts in this topic

At one point, when this was my job and not my hobby, my store had a Wolverine 1 (1982) with a white line all the way across the front cover, right under the blue banner. It had been the victim of the flap glue on one of those self-sealing bags. I don't remember what happened to it. I don't think it was still around when we closed, so it presumably sold at some point. For awhile, I was keeping it around just to point to whenever someone started talking to me about how awesome those bags were.

On 11/8/2022 at 3:06 PM, Beyonder123 said:

At this point I'll pull the tape off the bag for anything with real value. I've been lucky enough to learn my lesson with lower value books.

This is how to avoid them. It's a hassle but if it prevents a tape pull on a book you care about it's worth it. I find folding the tape over isn't reliable as it can flick out at the crucial moment when you're sliding the comic back into the bag.  

Edited by MattrixAlien

On 11/9/2022 at 4:49 PM, MattrixAlien said:
On 11/7/2022 at 11:06 PM, Beyonder123 said:

At this point I'll pull the tape off the bag for anything with real value. I've been lucky enough to learn my lesson with lower value books.

This is how to avoid them. It's a hassle but if it prevents a tape pull on a book you care about it's worth it. I find folding the tape over isn't reliable as it can flick out at the crucial moment when you're sliding the comic back into the bag.  

I've just folded the tape upon itself, sticky to sticky or sticky to flap where all the sticky is used, when taking the book out to inspect. Then I remove the rest when applying new tape. IDK what it is with us about that impatience to get it open, but I assume it's happened to all of us. Idk cgc routine either, so I usually leave the tape completely off and fold back when stacking the books to send them as well 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I got lots of tape here, and I just pulled the spoon out of Hawkeye's leg. Seems the adhesive over that area really bonded with the paper and could not separate from it like everything else underneath the rest of the tape. Not a big deal, as I only paid $30 for this copy a few months back specifically to use as a test subject for my conservation skills (seeing all that tape made me drool)

Ah well, you win some you loose some - at least it is now conserved and won't continue to yellow and get brittle under all that tape. 

tos-tape.thumb.jpg.00f2aed90d029ceb70d87e8783a4af72.jpg

This was my one and only tape pull. I did it as a 10-11 year old. The paper is not damaged. I remember the ink came off as if the book was fresh from the printers - like butter. I kept the piece of tape with the pull on the backing board for decades as a reminder.

439180462_AmazingSpider-Man049.thumb.jpg.a08f1087256a3a827de68b4cdaee25ff.jpg

On 11/10/2022 at 11:31 PM, grendelbo said:

This was my one and only tape pull. I did it as a 10-11 year old. The paper is not damaged. I remember the ink came off as if the book was fresh from the printers - like butter. I kept the piece of tape with the pull on the backing board for decades as a reminder.

439180462_AmazingSpider-Man049.thumb.jpg.a08f1087256a3a827de68b4cdaee25ff.jpg

Let's see the tape? So 😂 we can

python.gif

On 11/11/2022 at 10:33 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Let's see the tape? So 😂 we can

python.gif

I kept it until a bag & board change out a few years back.

I was talking to the owner of my LCS about this pull just a week ago. He suggested I get the book signed so that the signature covers up the flaw. He said he did it with a Hulk 1 and a Stan Lee signature and CGC appeared to not notice the tape pull. :gossip:

On 11/11/2022 at 11:50 AM, grendelbo said:

I was talking to the owner of my LCS about this pull just a week ago. He suggested I get the book signed so that the signature covers up the flaw. He said he did it with a Hulk 1 and a Stan Lee signature and CGC appeared to not notice the tape pull. :gossip:

lol Well I was halfway joking, because more often than not, as soon as I get rid of something that I've had for a long time it either: comes up in conversation, or I would have liked to still have it (thumbsulol 

Just kept it all those years and then this thread, but I understand.

It's a thought on the SS and I've known a few boardies who've had it done, rather with more of a sketch than signature, so I understand :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/11/2022 at 12:50 PM, grendelbo said:

dickdastardly.webp