• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect DC Showcase 1-104 in 9.0 or better!
7 7

341 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2023 at 1:09 PM, MAR1979 said:

To focus on stuff like #1,4,8,9,22 or simply continue to hunt down those  1977-1978 late bronze issues.

Enough Potatoes how about some real meat

Hey! those late bronze books in 9.8 ONLY is some premium meat, VERY hard to find lol #100 took me like, 6 months of looking

On 8/20/2023 at 12:36 AM, tth2 said:

This is absolutely correct.  Always go for the keys first.  The mid-run books will always be available and lag in price because they're, well, mid-run.

So this is where I disagree. This run is not as simple as hit the big keys 1st. Some of the mid run imo is the HARDEST due to the census count, alot of them share the same census count as the massive keys. if 200k flew in my pocket right now, it would make more sense to go grab 40-60 high grade 1 of 2-3 census count slabs in the mid the run then to drop it just on #4 and now i have to spend years and years waiting for one to just pop up to even buy the damn thing. I started this thread/quest on nov 8. of last year with #66 in 9.0. in that almost full year there has been no #66 in 9.0 or above since, and it costed 150. could i have passed and saved to maybe get a 9.0+ of #60 or 79? sure! but i see those books every week/slash month alot of the ones I have gotten i havent seen at all since. no regrets so far.

On 8/21/2023 at 11:24 PM, 10centcomics said:

If 200K magically appeared in your pocket, it would be a massive mistake not to get the Showcase 4. 200K also isn't enough for a 9.0+ Showcase 4. A 9.6 sold in 2009 for 180K. 

Not sure what census figures you are checking but none of the mid-run books are as rare as the early Showcases in 9.0 or above. As I mentioned earlier, Showcase 2 doesn't have anything higher than an 8.5 on the census.

Even if the mid-run Showcases are as rare as you say they are, they likely won't experience the same price growth over the next decade of your collecting journey (well unless B'wana Beast has a hit Hollywood movie), which is why all the experienced collectors in this thread are imploring you to start with the keys first. For the non-keys, it is also likely there are many raw nice copies that haven't been graded yet so the census is less representative of the entire population of the book.

I say keep doing what you're doing with the non-keys, it's fun to build momentum and check off acquisitions from the want list. But at the same time, you should have a plan for what you're gonna do with the earlier mega-keys. Procrastinating on that will make it financially out of reach in the future. You can get a low-grade but well-presenting copy of Showcase 4 for under $10,000 today. That's obviously still a ton of money but something realistic if you save up or sell off other books in your collection. 

Good luck!

Hmmm I see your point. I will try to do a blend what i have been doing while getting some of the practical bigger keys next like 60,79, 97 in 9.8 etc

Edited by FloridianDemon

A Showcase #4 CGC 8.0 just sold a couple of months ago for $132,000.00. There are 8 CGC 8.0’s on the census. There’s only 8 copies total (the last time I looked at least) in 9.0 or higher out of 414 CGC graded copies. When one of those become available is anyone’s guess. Not an impossibly tough book to find if condition doesn’t matter but having owned a few in grade they just don’t grow on trees. Compared to say Amazing Fantasy #15 with 26 copies at 9.0 or higher and 2462 CGC copies on the census Showcase #4 is a tough book as Silver Age comics go. Also finding a really good strike on colors is also yet another challenge. I’d make this THE book to find first especially now with some give in demand/prices after the last few crazy years. No one is going to bargain price one but you might get lucky in the availability area at least since some people are feeling a money squeeze right now..

On 8/11/2023 at 9:14 AM, tth2 said:

Some people don't enjoy collecting if there's no challenge.  

In any event, 9.0 is not the very highest graded copy in existence for many of the Showcases, even the earlier issues.  

You should post a list of any Showcases you used to own. :baiting:

On 8/24/2023 at 2:26 PM, kimik said:
On 8/11/2023 at 11:14 PM, tth2 said:

Some people don't enjoy collecting if there's no challenge.  

In any event, 9.0 is not the very highest graded copy in existence for many of the Showcases, even the earlier issues.  

You should post a list of any Showcases you used to own. :baiting:

Nah, apparently I don't know much about collecting SA DCs.

On 8/22/2023 at 3:50 PM, N e r V said:

A Showcase #4 CGC 8.0 just sold a couple of months ago for $132,000.00. There are 8 CGC 8.0’s on the census. There’s only 8 copies total (the last time I looked at least) in 9.0 or higher out of 414 CGC graded copies. When one of those become available is anyone’s guess. Not an impossibly tough book to find if condition doesn’t matter but having owned a few in grade they just don’t grow on trees. Compared to say Amazing Fantasy #15 with 26 copies at 9.0 or higher and 2462 CGC copies on the census Showcase #4 is a tough book as Silver Age comics go. Also finding a really good strike on colors is also yet another challenge. I’d make this THE book to find first especially now with some give in demand/prices after the last few crazy years. No one is going to bargain price one but you might get lucky in the availability area at least since some people are feeling a money squeeze right now..

I know SC4 has fluctuated a bit here and there, and the fact is at the end of the day it’s a 1st silverage appearance/new version, as opposed to a true first never before seen appearance like AF15. But it still amazes me this book hasn’t gone on a massive rise, like AF15, like Hulk 1, like FF1 has. It deserves more love imop.

On 8/25/2023 at 6:06 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I know SC4 has fluctuated a bit here and there, and the fact is at the end of the day it’s a 1st silverage appearance/new version, as opposed to a true first never before seen appearance like AF15. But it still amazes me this book hasn’t gone on a massive rise, like AF15, like Hulk 1, like FF1 has. It deserves more love imop.

I know. It seems DC rules pricing with Golden Age cornerstone books like Action #1 or Detective #27 but DC gets less love in the Silver Age compared with Marvel. Brave and the Bold #28 is another “cheap” book relative to the Marvel market imo…

On 8/26/2023 at 9:06 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

But it still amazes me this book hasn’t gone on a massive rise, like AF15, like Hulk 1, like FF1 has.

It's not surprising to me at all.  Showcase is a DC.  AF, Hulk and FF are Marvel.  There is still a huge contingent of SA collectors who will simply never consider owning DCs, and to the extent they do, it'll almost always be only Batman.

On 8/25/2023 at 8:41 PM, tth2 said:

It's not surprising to me at all.  Showcase is a DC.  AF, Hulk and FF are Marvel.  There is still a huge contingent of SA collectors who will simply never consider owning DCs, and to the extent they do, it'll almost always be only Batman.

Yeah but if it was up to me, SC4 would be the cats meow of silverage keys 🤗. But alas a dream is all that will ever be 🥺

On 8/25/2023 at 8:41 PM, tth2 said:

There that but also Avengers Endgame did nearly 3B in box office. Flash did about 200k. There’s a reason Marvel / Disney property books took off. Even FF didn’t really take off until Marvel got the rights to it. DC and Warner Bros just haven’t been on that level, the closest they came was the Nolan Batman era, but even that was limited to 3 movies and specific to Batman not the plethora of Marvel movies that were a cultural phenomena at the peak of the MCU.