• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect DC Showcase 1-104 in 9.0 or better!
7 7

341 posts in this topic

Came across this one on eBay. MCS will probably get their price here too, can’t imagine what a 9.0 is going to run you… but if I had to guess probably at least a quarter mil. But then again it also may take a decade to see one surface at auction, and who knows what the going rate will be then.

Got me thinking maybe you are Jeff Bezos? Which if so can you guys stop packaging my hard cover books with just one of those loose air bubble strips? 

IMG_1678.jpeg

Edited by wiparker824

On 7/27/2023 at 12:34 PM, wiparker824 said:

Came across this one on eBay. MCS will probably get their price here too, can’t imagine what a 9.0 is going to run you… but if I had to guess probably at least a quarter mil. But then again it also may take a decade to see one surface at auction, and who knows what the going rate will be then.

Got me thinking maybe you are Jeff Bezos? Which if so can you guys stop packaging my hard cover books with just one of those loose air bubble strips? 

IMG_1678.jpeg

Nah, just a 27 old with a dream lol, already got some books that i thought would take forever!

If "9.0 or better" is what turns you on then good luck, but there are a lot more comics than just Showcase that I'd still like to own so I sensibly have set my sights lower and now have 53 out of the 104 with 6 more on order. Realistically I won't ever own a Showcase 4 but the later reprint will be fine.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.6a1a9fabc1afce5484cc467ca791ddde.jpg

On 7/27/2023 at 4:29 PM, themagicrobot said:

If "9.0 or better" is what turns you on then good luck, but there are a lot more comics than just Showcase that I'd still like to own so I sensibly have set my sights lower and now have 53 out of the 104 with 6 more on order. Realistically I won't ever own a Showcase 4 but the later reprint will be fine.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.6a1a9fabc1afce5484cc467ca791ddde.jpg

Very nice! That chunk there is very tricky in 9.0+ to find. I REALLY want that 57

On 7/27/2023 at 5:34 PM, wiparker824 said:

IMG_1678.jpeg

Looks like it has sold now!! 

I'm a big fan of Showcase and love seeing collectors go for full runs! I'm a run collector as well which is why I feel the need to weigh in here with some constructive advice!

Why set a 9.0 grade minimum? That is most certainly setting you up for disappointment. Aside from the astronomical financial cost of the mega keys in 9.0+, I don't think some of early books exist in that grade. A quick peek at the census reveals no copies above 8.5 for Showcase No. 2 for example. Only universal 8 copies exist for Showcase 4 above 9.0, and Heritage has only auctioned off 2 copies over 9.0 since 2009.

Another important aspect that others have highlighted in this thread is the importance of picking up the keys first. They are the ones that are likely to grow fastest in price so doing this will make the entire endeavor cheaper in the long run. I acknowledge that is tempting to go for the low-hanging fruit here to build momentum.

All that being said, why not just go for a full run without any grade minimums? You can target higher grades for the later books and chase down low-grade but well-presenting examples of the rarer keys. You could try saving up for a G or VG copy of Showcase 17 or Showcase 22. 

Obviously, you can collect however you want and in a manner that brings you joy. I'm just afraid with the high grade minimum you will hit a wall soon. Good luck!

Some very good advice, would love the whole set in 9 and above but that's a step to far for me. I have set my sights lower and attempting the run in 7.5 or better. Even now I go through serious spells of doubt having completed 3/4's. 

Because some collectors don't like lower grade books?

Why? It seems a very odd title to choose to collect only the very highest graded issues in existence. I could understand it if the OP was collecting a title from the last 30 years where loads of issues were bagged and boarded from the day of purchase. Every Showcase would have been purchased off a Newstand or Spinner Rack (or arrived in the post folded for the few that subscribed). Even collectors in the  960s didn't poly bag their stuff so mint Showcases that are 60 years old are as rare as rocking horse sh*t.

On 8/11/2023 at 10:04 PM, themagicrobot said:

Why? It seems a very odd title to choose to collect only the very highest graded issues in existence. I could understand it if the OP was collecting a title from the last 30 years where loads of issues were bagged and boarded from the day of purchase.

Some people don't enjoy collecting if there's no challenge.  

In any event, 9.0 is not the very highest graded copy in existence for many of the Showcases, even the earlier issues.  

On 8/11/2023 at 11:14 AM, tth2 said:

Some people don't enjoy collecting if there's no challenge.  

In any event, 9.0 is not the very highest graded copy in existence for many of the Showcases, even the earlier issues.  

I mentioned in my post that Showcase No. 2 doesn't exist in 9.0 or higher (here's a link to the census:https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Showcase&issue=2&publisher=D.C.+Comics&year=1956&issuedate=5-6/56) I guess we could hope for a raw one to turn up one day but I'm not holding my breath.

Regarding the "challenge" of collecting, I agree with that sentiment but I would argue that a full run of Showcase in ANY grade would be a monumental collecting achievement, and out of reach for the vast majority of collectors. Adding the 9.0 minimum grade requirement on top of that makes the entire endeavor almost impossible.

On 8/11/2023 at 2:16 AM, 10centcomics said:

I'm a big fan of Showcase and love seeing collectors go for full runs! I'm a run collector as well which is why I feel the need to weigh in here with some constructive advice!

Why set a 9.0 grade minimum? That is most certainly setting you up for disappointment. Aside from the astronomical financial cost of the mega keys in 9.0+, I don't think some of early books exist in that grade. A quick peek at the census reveals no copies above 8.5 for Showcase No. 2 for example. Only universal 8 copies exist for Showcase 4 above 9.0, and Heritage has only auctioned off 2 copies over 9.0 since 2009.

Another important aspect that others have highlighted in this thread is the importance of picking up the keys first. They are the ones that are likely to grow fastest in price so doing this will make the entire endeavor cheaper in the long run. I acknowledge that is tempting to go for the low-hanging fruit here to build momentum.

All that being said, why not just go for a full run without any grade minimums? You can target higher grades for the later books and chase down low-grade but well-presenting examples of the rarer keys. You could try saving up for a G or VG copy of Showcase 17 or Showcase 22. 

Obviously, you can collect however you want and in a manner that brings you joy. I'm just afraid with the high grade minimum you will hit a wall soon. Good luck!

Hello! im thankful for the input! Here is my response. As some have already said, I like the challenge, im 27 and see this as a life long quest. Why so high? because as you said, you are not that many taken of and it feels special to grab one in almost mint shape. also most arent painfully hard price wise, only scarceity wise. i found 9.0 or better to be a fun challenge and its either i complete it or you get an impressive effort with some of the highest grades. I have another collection im doing at the same time which is the 1st appearance of video game characters/series in 9.8 only. they are already scarce to find, but the 9.8 part makes it harder, and more even more impressive when i get another one, almost 40 slabs with that collection(I need to make a thread on that too now that im thinking about it....). TLDR: its fun chasing the "impossible" ones and I find the reward of finding them to be an incredible feeling.

On 8/12/2023 at 1:21 AM, 10centcomics said:

I mentioned in my post that Showcase No. 2 doesn't exist in 9.0 or higher (here's a link to the census:https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Showcase&issue=2&publisher=D.C.+Comics&year=1956&issuedate=5-6/56) I guess we could hope for a raw one to turn up one day but I'm not holding my breath.

Well, after you finish assembling your run with every 9.0 that you can find, then you fill in the final remaining holes with whatever is the best that exists or that you can find.  

Sure all collectors have varying degrees of OCD, but I hope it's not so extreme that one couldn't tolerate one 8.5 amongst all of the other 9.0s.

On 8/11/2023 at 1:16 AM, 10centcomics said:

I disagree. If 9.0 or better is the plan then why wreck it by settling for something less?

On 8/15/2023 at 2:41 PM, MrBedrock said:

If 9.0 or better is the plan then why wreck it by settling for something less?

Normally, I would agree if this was a run of Spidey or Fantastic 4

But, there is a rumor/legend in Ye Old trade winds that a Tall Texan is gobbling up every DC in 9.0+ east and west of the MississipPIE!

And he ain't taking prisoners!

On 8/15/2023 at 3:06 PM, DanCooper said:

Normally, I would agree if this was a run of Spidey or Fantastic 4

But, there is a rumor/legend in Ye Old trade winds that a Tall Texan is gobbling up every DC in 9.0+ east and west of the MississipPIE!

And he ain't taking prisoners!

It's just a rumor.