• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Universe live movies, TV, animation, gaming roadmap
4 4

286 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2023 at 1:43 PM, Timeless icons said:

I was hoping for a better outcome. Keeping Miller? THAT'S who they decide to keep? Please tell me this is just a damage control option until the movie is out of theaters. :cry:

i know... lose Henry but keep the worst offender of all. Might as well put him and Amber in a show together.

Rating the "announcements":

• Creature Commandos - Don't care.
  • Waller - Sounds awful.
  • Superman: Legacy - Extremely pessimistic, since Gunn is writing.
  • Lanterns - Been waiting almost a decade, just give it to us already.
  • The Authority - Does any casual even know who this is, and you're making a feature film about them...?
  • Paradise Lost - Another WW prequel, no thanks.
  • The Brave and the Bold - Intriguing, but I'm too alienated by all of the lies to care right now.
  • Booster Gold - Intriguing, could be successful as an HBO show.
  • Supergirl - Sounds awful, but has potential either with Superman c-starring or in deep-space where Superman isn't.
  • Swamp Thing - Most exciting of the announcements. TBD.

On 1/31/2023 at 2:02 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

• Waller - Sounds awful.
  • The Authority - Does any casual even know who this is, and you're making a feature film about them...?
  • The Brave and the Bold - Intriguing, but I'm too alienated by all of the lies to care right now.
  • Supergirl - Sounds awful, but has potential either with Superman c-starring or in deep-space where Superman isn't.

I mostly agree here, but with Authority I think the general public (and many non-DC/Marvel fans too) not knowing anything about them is going to be a huge plus (remember, nobody cared about most Marvel characters at the start) and my guess is they want to tap into these characters to act as the 'new kids' saving the world Ala Kingdom Come, which will lead directly to Superman getting involved.

Supergirl is the only property here I feel might be misplaced, not that I don't want it (as it sounds like a sci-fi adventure like the Prophet series) but rather feels 'too soon'.

But anyways, let us focus on the most important part of this. SWAAAMMPPPTHINGG!!!

tumblr_pq4g84lYpF1uezmbko2_540.gif.e164cf5b034c5716f773d24fe846c9d2.gif

On 1/31/2023 at 2:20 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I mostly agree here, but with Authority I think the general public (and many non-DC/Marvel fans too) not knowing anything about them is going to be a huge plus (remember, nobody cared about most Marvel characters at the start) and my guess is they want to tap into these characters to act as the 'new kids' saving the world Ala Kingdom Come, which will lead directly to Superman getting involved.

You're right, I just think it's very stupid to have a movie about The Authority prior to JL or JSA in any universe.

On 1/31/2023 at 2:02 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I focused right on this when this came up. What the WB Studios and HBO Max executive team did to the DCU Swamp Thing show was such a tragedy.

:wishluck:

Eh.  I think my main issue is, I simply don't believe they have worked out some kind of grand, unified cohesive storyline that will be told through all these projects. Or that they even have a storyline for most of these projects.   And the reason I don't believe this is that there simply hasn't been sufficient time for them to have developed such a storyline.  None of these projects have been written. None have been cast.  At best they've sat around a coffee table and brainstormed some "ideas" and maybe a (very) rough outline of what they hope these projects will be.  But this announcement feels like a rush job for publicity's sake. 

Sort of like Universal's "Dark Universe" all over again.  

Not saying it can't work out.  Lot's of projects get announced before they are written/cast/filmed, and then they still turn out okay.  But kind of a crapshoot/hope for the best situation here.    

On 1/31/2023 at 12:02 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

• Waller - Sounds awful.

I agree for the most part. From my greedy capitalist perspective, the Creature Commados (WWT #93 should pop) announcement and Brave & the Bold focusing on Damian Wayne (Batman #655 should see some life) are fantastic news. In any case, nothing that will get the fans excited. If they had killed the Reeves Bat-verse I would have been more impressed. That locks them into mopey emo Batman for another couple of films.

On 1/31/2023 at 2:20 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Supergirl is the only property here I feel might be misplaced, not that I don't want it (as it sounds like a sci-fi adventure like the Prophet series) but rather feels 'too soon'.

But anyways, let us focus on the most important part of this. SWAAAMMPPPTHINGG!!!

tumblr_pq4g84lYpF1uezmbko2_540.gif.e164cf5b034c5716f773d24fe846c9d2.gif

Nobody cared about most Marvel characters at the start? MOST?

I mean, I agree with that about some characters, like the GOTG. People still don't care about the Eternals. In large part, the success of the MCU has been giving the mainstream characters their own movies and then bringing the fans of those characters together for event movies like the Avengers. But look at the movie titles and you can't say these are mostly characters that nobody cared about. 

On 1/31/2023 at 2:28 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're right, I just think it's very stupid to have a movie about The Authority prior to JL or JSA in any universe.

That is one reason I think this all has good chance at working; at very least this line up gets huge respect for not being at all predictable. I honestly would have written off an announcement that sounded too much like it was basically the same typical 'big' picks that seem obvious to everyone with an opinion online, this list though makes me more interested overall and curious about the method behind its madness.

Im LOVING these ideas.

I love the idea of a hardcore Supergirl. Raised in a dystopia and then comes to earth. What a great juxtaposition to Superman.  Two Kryptonians raised completely differently. 

Swamp Thing as a true horror movie? Pinch me.  Lanterns in the vain of True Detective!!  GOT=esque Paradise Island?  

....and lastly not only am I happy Gunn is writing the Supes flick, I pray he also directs it.

I will go back to hiding under my rock now.

Initial reactions:

This is a truly odd assortment of choices, even by James Gunn standards.

Weirdly, I picked up Authority 1-15 from the $1 bin at the last true comic con I went to, 5 years ago.

Even under the new leadership, I'd still bet 1/3 of these projects never see the light of day.