All things Russ Heath
2 2

120 posts in this topic

On 11/22/2022 at 3:17 PM, Frisco Larson said:

It doesn't appear to be signed and I'm not knowledgeable enough with his art to be able to tell if it's him or not.

There are definitely elements that look like his art at first glance, but when you look closer something isn't quite right.  

Here's the next war cover he did in Nov '52.  Ironically, this one isn't signed either.  It also has some elements to make me think it isn't 100% Heath, but I feel much more confident about his contribution to this one.  

Battlefield 5.jpg

Edited by buttock
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2022 at 5:10 PM, buttock said:

Atlastales has this as Russ Heath also, but I don't see it

It's Russ, who draw a cover for the Two Gun Kid the next month. 

I had to pull up a different scan that was "straight on" as the angle of the picture made it harder to understand the art.  The central character is unusually staged for Russ, but the background characters are typical of him and well-positioned. The guy in the foreground bottom right has all the earmarks of a great drawing and expert inking.  Shadows are properly handled throughout the cover (check out the shadow of the reins on the horse's neck), the rocks are crisply outlined, and there's signature sfumato dust kicked up by the horse.

There are some aspects of the inking on the horse that annoy me, but it's drawn at full-gallop, leaning right, and still looks good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2022 at 10:04 PM, buttock said:

There are definitely elements that look like his art at first glance, but when you look closer something isn't quite right.  

Here's the next war cover he did in Nov '52.  Ironically, this one isn't signed either.  It also has some elements to make me think it isn't 100% Heath, but I feel much more confident about his contribution to this one.  

Battlefield 5.jpg

Foreground dead commie gives the game away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2022 at 9:26 PM, adamstrange said:

It's Russ, who draw a cover for the Two Gun Kid the next month. 

I had to pull up a different scan that was "straight on" as the angle of the picture made it harder to understand the art.  The central character is unusually staged for Russ, but the background characters are typical of him and well-positioned. The guy in the foreground bottom right has all the earmarks of a great drawing and expert inking.  Shadows are properly handled throughout the cover (check out the shadow of the reins on the horse's neck), the rocks are crisply outlined, and there's signature sfumato dust kicked up by the horse.

There are some aspects of the inking on the horse that annoy me, but it's drawn at full-gallop, leaning right, and still looks good.

It's the inking that bothers me.  The guy in the lower right hand corner is Russ Heath at first glance, but look at his hand.  That's too sloppy for Heath.  The inking on the horse is similarly sloppy.  It looks so much like him, but I think someone else must have inked it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2022 at 11:28 PM, buttock said:

It's the inking that bothers me.  The guy in the lower right hand corner is Russ Heath at first glance, but look at his hand.  That's too sloppy for Heath.  The inking on the horse is similarly sloppy.  It looks so much like him, but I think someone else must have inked it.  

I don't like the hand, but the rest of the dude is inked in the usual Heath manner.  This may have been a touch up job by Ayres on any otherwise complete Heath artwork.  It wouldn't have been the first (or last) time that Stan did that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2022 at 10:35 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Saw this recreation at SDCC and could not get my money out fast enough.  Not GA.

0056C744-DE82-4467-AE31-1B9ADBA0871E.thumb.jpeg.bef7ca7e2a5e57b87fb15b7bec192aed.jpegAC3CABFF-E339-4ECB-ACEC-29BC073AAA9C.thumb.jpeg.d990c38fe94672aec571a06bb45463e3.jpeg

Wow Ray i would have my money out for that to 

Edited by comicjack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2022 at 10:18 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Recreation from Blazing Combat story “Give and Take”

29E8049F-703C-4B10-9327-73BE0735EB69.thumb.jpeg.768bdbed16d6752678b4c48aebdb06a9.jpeg8F722C4C-17AB-4F3F-BF01-F8DAEA2E52E3.thumb.jpeg.c5d9bf3f4439de7b566c90813935a45e.jpeg

GI Combat OA with appearance of my favorite armored fighting vehicle, Sturmtiger with a 380 mm rocket launched mortar.3985930D-6A88-477A-AD26-97BD840C74B1.thumb.jpeg.ba4b93fecca779e194c67093a80d9b0c.jpeg

 

That Blazing Combat reproduction is incredible.  I've never seen anything from that story.  I've wondered if Heath kept it like he did "Easy's First Tiger".  Ultimately he let that one go, but I think it was through Steve Wyatt.  So I'm holding out hope that he may have the OA from the Blazing Combat story.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2022 at 9:57 AM, buttock said:

That Blazing Combat reproduction is incredible.  I've never seen anything from that story.  I've wondered if Heath kept it like he did "Easy's First Tiger".  Ultimately he let that one go, but I think it was through Steve Wyatt.  So I'm holding out hope that he may have the OA from the Blazing Combat story.  

I have several Heath “file copies” I got from Steve. Rather low grade but had to get them. I even got one signed by Russ at a show. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2