• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand Copies.
3 3

92 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2023 at 10:52 PM, CGC Mike said:

I am hoping the TAT's will be updated today, and show much lower numbers.  I am not able to make any promises, though.

Sorry, I'm lost there.

TAT's affect the updates to the website for the inclusion of the Newsstand notation?

• Administrator
On 3/17/2023 at 7:42 PM, Microchip said:

Sorry, I'm lost there.

TAT's affect the updates to the website for the inclusion of the Newsstand notation?

Sorry, I have too much going on today.  There is no update available regarding the newsstand notation at this time. 

Resubmitted Newsstands will get the Newsstand designation in the Pedigree Field. First time submitted books will have the Newsstand designation in the Variant field, as usual.

As far as the Registry goes, we will create a separate Newsstand slot in the appropriate set.  However, the slot will be populated with the first run edition, due to the fact that the Registry search does not recognize the Pedigree field.

I realize this is not optimal, but it is the only way to accommodate resubmitted Newsstand editions.

On 4/10/2023 at 10:39 AM, wytshus said:

Resubmitted Newsstands will get the Newsstand designation in the Pedigree Field. First time submitted books will have the Newsstand designation in the Variant field, as usual.

As far as the Registry goes, we will create a separate Newsstand slot in the appropriate set.  However, the slot will be populated with the first run edition, due to the fact that the Registry search does not recognize the Pedigree field.

I realize this is not optimal, but it is the only way to accommodate resubmitted Newsstand editions.

lol I understand but a question...

ME submissions are currently free due to mislabels, which I assume means misnotated newsstand slabs? I have about 8 that I was curious about, but on the other hand, they're already included in the registry, so if I were to get them "reholdered" I'd need new registry slots?

If that is right, then I'm not sure I'll go through the trouble :eek: registry deadline is soon and no guarantee etc :cheers: 

On 4/10/2023 at 1:56 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol I understand but a question...

ME submissions are currently free due to mislabels, which I assume means misnotated newsstand slabs? I have about 8 that I was curious about, but on the other hand, they're already included in the registry, so if I were to get them "reholdered" I'd need new registry slots?

If that is right, then I'm not sure I'll go through the trouble :eek: registry deadline is soon and no guarantee etc :cheers: 

Actually @wytshus if I got them reholdered with the Newsstand notation, would I be able to leave the cert number in the slot their in now? Idk if the newsstands are in the pedigree field, could I leave them in the regular slots for the books? Or would I need to request "Newsstand slots" specifically and need to re add them with description etc?

On 4/11/2023 at 11:18 PM, wytshus said:

I would prefer to have books that actually have the Newsstand designation in the new slots.  

In terms of points within the registry sets, Newsstand books rate lower than Direct Editions?

On 4/11/2023 at 10:05 AM, Microchip said:

In terms of points within the registry sets, Newsstand books rate lower than Direct Editions?

Usually, they are scored equally, unless there is a significant difference in value.

On 4/12/2023 at 12:08 AM, wytshus said:

Usually, they are scored equally, unless there is a significant difference in value.

Ok, that makes sense.  The value for 99% of modern newsstand books is un-established at this point. 

@valiantman

In the current Pedigree auction, Doug has a bunch of Winnipeg pedigree books.  All the newsstand issues are designated as Winnipeg Pedigree, and then we have this issue.   

It looks like there isn't an either or scenario with that centre label field.   Any idea how these books would show up on your database?

image.thumb.png.59892f31f65604a1223399c8d86c83a0.png

image.thumb.png.acde5cb430bd35c3637e06e5edf2a617.png

@wytshus is there a year where the Newsstand designation begins?  For a moment I was thinking somewhere in the 80's, as none of Doug's book's from the BA have the Newsstand designation.

image.thumb.png.871018d54204c2913ed373c604b96640.png

I do not think current sets should be changed to allow the addition newsstand slot.  If registry set participants want newsstand slots for a particular set then they should request a new one be built.  There are sets like this that exist.  Wolverine mini series and Dark Knight Returns are some examples of different sets tailored to just first print collectors and others who like to collect Canadian price variants or follow on printings.  If the collector doesn’t want to go through the process of requesting a new set then just add a picture of the newsstand copy to image #2.  I really have no skin the game as a vast majority of my sets did not have newsstand editions.  But I do think this is unfair to people that have achieved 100% on some really difficult sets to have it get ruined by a new slot appearing.  Just my .02 cents.

On 4/18/2023 at 1:06 AM, Microchip said:

@valiantman

In the current Pedigree auction, Doug has a bunch of Winnipeg pedigree books.  All the newsstand issues are designated as Winnipeg Pedigree, and then we have this issue.   

It looks like there isn't an either or scenario with that centre label field.   Any idea how these books would show up on your database?

image.thumb.png.59892f31f65604a1223399c8d86c83a0.png

image.thumb.png.acde5cb430bd35c3637e06e5edf2a617.png

@wytshus is there a year where the Newsstand designation begins?  For a moment I was thinking somewhere in the 80's, as none of Doug's book's from the BA have the Newsstand designation.

image.thumb.png.871018d54204c2913ed373c604b96640.png

The Pedigree field has never been reported on the CGC Census. There are supposed to be changes coming which will make Newsstand Edition reported on the CGC Census when it is entered in the Pedigree field (as CGC has been putting on the label since September 2022, but not reporting on the census). Since this is both a Newsstand Edition and a Pedigree, I don't know if CGC will report these when they (eventually) report the Newsstand Editions because I would be surprised if they begin reporting pedigrees without some kind of announcement.

On 4/18/2023 at 8:10 PM, Parabellum said:

I do not think current sets should be changed to allow the addition newsstand slot.  If registry set participants want newsstand slots for a particular set then they should request a new one be built.  There are sets like this that exist.  Wolverine mini series and Dark Knight Returns are some examples of different sets tailored to just first print collectors and others who like to collect Canadian price variants or follow on printings.  If the collector doesn’t want to go through the process of requesting a new set then just add a picture of the newsstand copy to image #2.  I really have no skin the game as a vast majority of my sets did not have newsstand editions.  But I do think this is unfair to people that have achieved 100% on some really difficult sets to have it get ruined by a new slot appearing.  Just my .02 cents.

Thats typically what happens.

Expanded sets, so all the variants are included should be a separate.   The Wolverine mini series is great example.   There's multiple versions of US edition insignia, newsstand copies, and 3 CPV editions.   A full completed set of Wolverine mini series could be expanded to 12 books straight away.  But the original set of 5 would, and should remain as it currently is.

On 4/19/2023 at 12:38 AM, Microchip said:

Thats typically what happens.

Expanded sets, so all the variants are included should be a separate.   The Wolverine mini series is great example.   There's multiple versions of US edition insignia, newsstand copies, and 3 CPV editions.   A full completed set of Wolverine mini series could be expanded to 12 books straight away.  But the original set of 5 would, and should remain as it currently is.

Thats my intention with the Punisher Limited Series.  I will request a “Punisher Limited Series (complete with variants) set.

On 4/18/2023 at 11:38 PM, valiantman said:

The Pedigree field has never been reported on the CGC Census. There are supposed to be changes coming which will make Newsstand Edition reported on the CGC Census when it is entered in the Pedigree field (as CGC has been putting on the label since September 2022, but not reporting on the census). Since this is both a Newsstand Edition and a Pedigree, I don't know if CGC will report these when they (eventually) report the Newsstand Editions because I would be surprised if they begin reporting pedigrees without some kind of announcement.

With your database, due to the Newsstand notation going  in the pedigree field box, there will be database census information on Newsstand editions?

On 4/18/2023 at 2:06 AM, Microchip said:

IF done correctly it is:

Marvel - books starting with cover date June 1979 and NOT before
DC - books starting with cover date Oct 1980 and NOT before

I do not have info on Whitman/Gold Key, Charlton, Archie or Harvey but suspect each date will differ.

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/8/2023 at 3:30 AM, Microchip said:

With your database, due to the Newsstand notation going  in the pedigree field box, there will be database census information on Newsstand editions?

CGC has said that they will be reporting Newsstand (from the pedigree field) in the CGC Census at some point, but so far, it has not been part of the census.

On 7/8/2023 at 9:06 AM, MAR1979 said:

IF done correctly it is:

Marvel - books starting with cover date June 1979 and NOT before

How would Star Wars #1 (1977) be done correctly if not separating Newsstand from the Direct editions, separated from the reprints, etc.?

https://bipcomics.com/showcase/StarWars/Marvel/StarWars/001-006.html

Edited by valiantman