• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand Copies.
3 3

92 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2023 at 9:02 AM, valiantman said:

CGC has said that they will be reporting Newsstand (from the pedigree field) in the CGC Census at some point, but so far, it has not been part of the census.

@CGC Mike do you have any idea when newsstand census data will be made available?

TIA

On 7/8/2023 at 7:04 PM, valiantman said:

How would Star Wars #1 (1977) be done correctly if not separating Newsstand from the Direct editions, separated from the reprints, etc.?

https://bipcomics.com/showcase/StarWars/Marvel/StarWars/001-006.html

Simply label the Direct's as applicable, but do not label the newsstands!. Prior to cover date June 1979 for Marvel - Direct Editions including Whitman Distributed should be labelled as such. Newsstands before those dates should not under any condition be noted as it creates a license to steal using mis-information. As it is starting to see Newsstand Edition references in eBay sales for books going back all the way to 1969!

Edited by MAR1979

• Administrator
On 7/8/2023 at 7:22 PM, Microchip said:

@CGC Mike do you have any idea when newsstand census data will be made available?

TIA

I have bumped the e-mail I have with upper management regarding this.  Hopefully, I will have an answer for you on Monday.

• Administrator
On 7/8/2023 at 10:47 PM, Microchip said:
On 7/8/2023 at 8:37 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have bumped the e-mail I have with upper management regarding this.  Hopefully, I will have an answer for you on Monday.

Much appreciated.

The update has been delayed for reasons that I can't get into.  Hopefully, the delay won't last too long.  I wish I had better news.

On 7/11/2023 at 2:43 AM, CGC Mike said:

The update has been delayed for reasons that I can't get into.  Hopefully, the delay won't last too long.  I wish I had better news.

Thanks Mike.  Knowing it's a happening thing, and in the works is good information.   

• Administrator
On 7/18/2023 at 7:52 PM, Microchip said:

@CGC Mike hi, just wondering if there's an update?   Though do let me know if this ground you and @valiantman are already deeply in the detail of working through.

TIA.

It appears that it is going to be a lengthy delay.  (several months)  Sorry

On 1/20/2023 at 5:58 AM, wytshus said:

It's not perfect, and yes, either book can be added to that slot.

This doesn’t seem to be true.  I have just recently tried to add my Terminator 12 newsstand to a direct slot and it has been rejected every single time.  The result was a newsstand slot was created and the book was added there.  I knew this newsstand business was going to be an issue.

On 11/14/2022 at 11:10 PM, Microchip said:

Hi, as this is on its way to becoming a new version category for books.   I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this.  

Are people going to collect both versions?

For CPV's becoming recognised, will this era of books become more collectable?

For registry points for newsstand books, what are your thoughts on values next to direct edition books?

Speaking for myself, I am not interested in having direct and newsstand version. I only buy direct if a) it is a comic that I want and b) I can't find/afford a newsstand copy, or c) it is from that very short period when directs were introduced and had the UPC box struck out with a diagonal line. 

From my point of view, newsstand editions are more interesting than directs for multiple reasons, regardless whether the cover price is different (often, they aren't). For earlier newsstands, I prefer British or Canadian versions because they are harder to find, making them more fun to hunt.

I am happy to pay a premium for newsstands, and have paid as much as 30x the direct price, depending on the comic. I prefer getting it for the same as the direct price, but that is increasingly rare.

On 1/9/2023 at 1:24 PM, Le Chat Noir said:

Only thought is that the # of newsstands will be understated, since this only took effect this year...

It's unlikely everyone will resubmit their newsstands just to have them recategorized.

I'm not planning to. CGC could go through their photos to recategorize these though, and I think it would be a good idea to do it.

Edited by paqart

On 1/2/2023 at 2:17 PM, ASSA9 said:

One of these #7 Wizard Magazines is a Newsstand Edition with some Bart Sears cover art. Can you guess which one? 

Screenshot_20211206-085957_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221105-115511_Gallery.jpg

Aren't both newsstands? Isn't there an NS UPC on the back of the first one? I thought all magazine format issues like these were newsstand?

On 1/16/2023 at 6:21 PM, Iconic1s said:

The problem with this is that some people don’t have any interest in newsstands… again, indicia-wise no difference.  Why should someone be forced to collect a second copy of the same book to compete?  The difference is in a hypothetical of distribution, ‘rougher handling’, destruction, etc.  I know some guys are really into this and have been crunching numbers for years on newsstand distro, etc and still aren’t sure exactly what the distro was on some of these. There is NO WAY CGC can claim to have worked this all out (I’m not even going to mention their claim that they have ‘extensively researched’ multi-pack books and so on).  And, EVEN IF THEY DID FIGURE IT OUT (which they didn’t), it doesn’t even matter… what this all really hinges on is the Census numbers of GRADED copies and with this change coming in 22 years late it will NEVER be correct enough to base scoring on.

For me it boils down to an extra slot for a book with the same indicia, which is pure insanity and/or extra points being arbitrarily assigned to a book because CGC ‘thinks’ it might be rarer.

So what happens when everyone starts submitting their newsstand copies of a low Census book and the newsstand now is two or three times more common in ‘graded form’ than the direct?  Does that newsstand then get assigned less points?

I know the newsstand guys are celebrating this change but I think it’s going to make a Registry that is already nearly unmanageable with the number of ‘variants’, truly impossible to deal with, while also sticking it to anyone not willing to jump on the newsstand bandwagon.  All this based on no REAL data. @wytshus

Again, I’m all for the Pedigree slot being used for those that don’t know what a barcode/newsstand looks like (heck, even break them down in the Census if it thrills someone to look at bogus numbers) but not all this added slot/extra points craziness.

It is highly unlikely you'll get many newsstands in greater numbers than direct counterparts. Even issues where that should be the case, like ASM 300, it isn't, likely due to survivability in high grade problems that affect newsstands disproportionately.

On 8/2/2023 at 9:47 PM, paqart said:

It is highly unlikely you'll get many newsstands in greater numbers than direct counterparts. Even issues where that should be the case, like ASM 300, it isn't, likely due to survivability in high grade problems that affect newsstands disproportionately.

I'm not sure what page you may be on so far, but realize the month old thread, with possibly summing up after reading lol

You may not have noticed, and yet there may be further answers as you read, unless you've read and are hitting highlights.

No harm no foul, but that way everyone who gets a quote notification isn't all responding at once, as that would over bear (probably) with strong "opinions" when just furthering the conversation  :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, paqart said:

I'm not planning to. CGC could go through their photos to recategorize these though, and I think it would be a good idea to do it.

I started another thread, asking that question exactly.   Do books need to be resumed, and/or will there be another way for books to be registered as newsstand editions, for registry sets, without going through the big expense of resuming books, for what will be one additional word on the label.

On 1/18/2023 at 8:12 PM, Iconic1s said:

P.S. Lastly would just say that if this is all being done to please the newsstand collectors then shouldn't extra slots also be added so we can add both a Universal and Signature Series copy of our books in the same set?  I think that's crazy too but hey, as long as we're adding all these extra slots to look after every niche collector, why not?  I think we are super blurring the lines between a competitive and custom set when we have two slots for the same book IMO.

Newsstand editions are different from directs at the time of manufacture. The difference affect their value. Dismiss this if you like, but the difference is meaningful in an absolute sense (the comics are not identical) and relative sense (newsstand collectors like myself don't even look at direct editions as legitimate collecting targets).

So, as far as I am concerned, direct editions are "collectible" only because other people want them. For that reason, I own some for the purpose of trading but do not consider them part of my collection.