• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pleasant Surprise ROI : Bought Off The Rack And Still in Collection
3 3

32 posts in this topic

On 11/20/2022 at 4:43 PM, WolverineX said:

Everything I bought as a kid was an unpleasant  surprise.    All 90's image drek. Maybe Spawn 1 is worth 15 bucks or something.

The Spawn 1 I bought is at minimum a 9.2. So if yours is the same it's $70 according to the OSP. Not a bad return on a buck 95. 

On 11/20/2022 at 4:43 PM, WolverineX said:

Everything I bought as a kid was an unpleasant  surprise.    All 90's image drek. Maybe Spawn 1 is worth 15 bucks or something.

Pretty much the same here. Although I don't have any photos to share at the moment, this post has given me the idea to have a short box dedicated to books I picked up as a kid. It's still cool that I've held onto these for almost 30 years. 

On 11/20/2022 at 10:50 AM, csaag said:

.for the most part, I just read these once and then bagged them where the sat for 30+ some years.

Swamp37_front.jpg

NTT2_f.jpg

DKR1_f.jpg

DD168_front.jpg

we are about the same age based on these books. DKR was so popular at my local store that i couldn't get a first printing. by the time i could get a copy it was like a third printing or something. 

On 11/23/2022 at 1:22 PM, Cushing Fan said:

I had a large collection of comics that I bought off the rack as a kid in the late 1970s but sold all of them off in yard sales when I was a teenager for fast cash. The only book I kept was my much loved Incredible Hulk #250 - always loved the cover and story and read the book many times.

Fast forward to current day and I met artist Al Milgrom at All Star Comics and Collectibles.  I never met Milgrom before in person so it was a real honor to meet him - I brought along my beat up copy of Hulk 250 (my equivalent of Silver Surfer 4 when I was a kid) that I originally bought off the rack new. Had Milgrom sign my Hulk 324 (heading off for the CGC Signature Series) and asked him to hold my other graded Hulk 250 which he and Sal Buscema previously signed for me years ago. My original copy of Hulk 250 is on the table in the photo.

FB_IMG_1669227522937.jpg

Al is such great dude! I’ve been fortunate to get to know him a bit over the last few years and one of the coolest things about him is that he is a fan as well! He legit is one of us. 

On 11/24/2022 at 5:06 AM, namisgr said:

I paid cover price for these comics, which along with 99% of my original collection have been sold in recent times:

Hulk180.jpg.8c0f65ada3b6562940241c161429d9d9.jpg   Hulk181front.thumb.jpg.bd8dddc76b439a2c28e3d21cd1e72edc.jpg   image.thumb.png.ac0105cb3f0d7f45f1a7b3bb44ac0150.png

Big congrats to you on being able to pick up some great books and then having the smarts to keep them in tip top fantastic condition all these years until it came time for you to cash in on your little nest egg here.  :applause:

The only problem being that it's actually hard to justify having them certified when your cost of acquiring the underlying books themselves is only a tiny fraction of 1% of the total cost to have them "prepped" and then graded for certification.  Hence, the reason why the old school long term collectors usually simply leave them raw sitting in their private collections until it comes time to actually sell them.  hm  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 11/25/2022 at 1:48 AM, lou_fine said:

The only problem being that it's actually hard to justify having them certified when your cost of acquiring the underlying books themselves is only a tiny fraction of 1% of the total cost to have them "prepped" and then graded for certification.  Hence, the reason why the old school long term collectors usually simply leave them raw sitting in their private collections until it comes time to actually sell them.  hm  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Owned them for >35 years, then had them encapsulated.  Sold soon thereafter.  (shrug)