• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YouTube video about MyComicShop and ComicLink
9 9

237 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2022 at 3:10 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

No.  You did that :makepoint:

“I'd do the same for you if someone else was in the wrong and threw you under a bus, dork.”

My reply was to your snarky, personal post toward me calling me a "white knight"

I've always stood up for this community and was calling out people who spoke out of ignorance or just plain bad intentions. Why you'd take exception to that I have no idea but your comment calling me "white knight" was unnecessary.

Do let us know when these topics being discussed actually affect you in some meaningful way. :smirk:

At least then you'd have some real incentive for actually making a mountain out of a molehill. 

And thank you for reminding me again why I've avoided posting here.

On 11/25/2022 at 12:31 PM, troy.division said:

Is it possible to purchase a book from a major distributor without it being reported to GPA?
Meaning, can the buyer ask that it not be included?

It’s my understanding there are dealers (without brick and mortar stores or websites) in a position of trust with GPA such as private sales can be reported. I encouraged someone to report a sale to me since at the time it was considered high, but they never did

On 11/25/2022 at 3:44 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Please start pouring on your elitist condescension :cloud9:

There's no elitist condescension being poured on. 

The outrage is disproportional to what's actually being discussed. 

People are arguing over an outlier as though it affects the entire hobby in some detrimental way (it doesn't) and some are even attributing malice or wrong doing rather than admitting they themselves were wrong. 

The witches to burn are the people who jump to conclusions without doing their homework. 

Or who make mountains out of molehills. 

On 11/25/2022 at 3:43 PM, Foolish Mortal said:

Yeah, c'mon, does this look like a white knight to you?

Screenshot_20220910-185501_Chrome.jpg.63c811cea0afc5c467b8596ebfd9d505.jpg

I love that pic. :cloud9:

Thanks, Stu. I'm adding these to the harassment file. 

On 11/25/2022 at 3:17 PM, mycomicshop said:

Granting me the very small benefit of the doubt that I'm telling the truth and this was an unintended result rather than something done with intent to mislead seems like a pretty small thing to ask. But instead I get "no evidence that proves MCS was intentionally misleading, but no evidence that proves the opposite." Huh? Is there still some doubt in your mind? If not, why are we still hedging on this?

Being called "irresponsible at best and nefarious at worst" for... 100% well-intentioned reporting to GPA.

I don't want to continue feeding board drama so will not continue posting replies on this, and have no issues with anybody personally, I'm just kind of mystified by the amount of skepticism and distrust in some of these takes.

I can't speak for anyone, but I suspect that other than the OP, most of the others here weren't aiming their annoyance at this with MCS, but rather generically at how they don't agree with the outcome of reporting after a sale is complete. 

On 11/25/2022 at 4:11 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If you’re seeing “outrage” in my posts...that’s a YOU problem.

I've known you for almost 20 years. You're always outraged. 

It really is a shame we can't discuss this stuff without people making it personal. But I guess since it was personal from the beginning (against MCS - a forum member), it shouldn't surprise me. 

MCS isn't like Chuckles over at MHC, you can actually talk to Conan about any concerns or issues you have and actually get a better understanding or solution.

On 11/25/2022 at 4:14 PM, Prince Namor said:

It really is a shame we can't discuss this stuff without people making it personal. But I guess since it was personal from the beginning (against MCS - a forum member), it shouldn't surprise me. 

This would have ended very quickly if people were more accountable with themselves. 

If you hang someone out to dry on the internet and are obviously wrong about it, just admit it. Put the same amount of effort into apologizing as you did into getting the story wrong and it makes you look like 10 times the person you are compared to trying to sugarcoat it.  

And armchair critics who are quick to insinuating wrongdoing on the part of reporting to GPA really shouldn't be throwing such accusations around without understand the system better before doing it.

------------------------------

From my own experience, and for some additional perspective I've seen those outlier sales on GPA for years. I simply assumed it was either late reporting or someone hitting a BIN on a 'must have' item, or whatever. 

I never got offended by them, never thought anyone was doing anything wrong and they didn't affect me at all. 

I know that outliers happen for various reasons and I just move all outliers into an average. Problem solved. 

That's why I stated that people need to relax and understand how GPA works better and that the outrage is disproportionate to the disagreement. 

And let's be frank, I think it's likely that some are complaining about the timing of reporting a sale because they feel it might cause them to miss out on a buying or selling opportunity affecting their own personal interests.

For what GPA is, it's an incredible product offering way more information than $10 a month can buy you anywhere else. You can never win every game but with a service like GPA you're winning most of the time and those are incredible odds. 

On 11/25/2022 at 5:12 PM, VintageComics said:

This would have ended very quickly if people were more accountable with themselves. 

If you hang someone out to dry on the internet and are obviously wrong about it, just admit it. Put the same amount of effort into apologizing as you did into getting the story wrong and it makes you look like 10 times the person you are compared to trying to sugarcoat it.  

And armchair critics who are quick to insinuating wrongdoing on the part of reporting to GPA really shouldn't be throwing such accusations around without understand the system better before doing it.

------------------------------

From my own experience, and for some additional perspective I've seen those outlier sales on GPA for years. I simply assumed it was either late reporting or someone hitting a BIN on a 'must have' item, or whatever. 

I never got offended by them, never thought anyone was doing anything wrong and they didn't affect me at all. 

I know that outliers happen for various reasons and I just move all outliers into an average. Problem solved. 

That's why I stated that people need to relax and understand how GPA works better and that the outrage is disproportionate to the disagreement. 

And let's be frank, I think it's likely that some are complaining about the timing of reporting a sale because they feel it might cause them to miss out on a buying or selling opportunity affecting their own personal interests.

For what GPA is, it's an incredible product offering way more information than $10 a month can buy you anywhere else. You can never win every game but with a service like GPA you're winning most of the time and those are incredible odds. 

This after the fact reporting to GPA could very well be responsible for the seemingly endless number of “outliers”.  

On 11/25/2022 at 5:12 PM, VintageComics said:

hm

Why do you pay money to subscribe to GPA?

So it seems the crux of the issue is "what constitutes a completed sale"?

The solution should be simple;

• If the seller is payed in full after the immediate close of the auction by MCS it is a completed sale.

Everything after is MCS facilitating a loan between themselves and the purchaser with the book as collateral. If I am incorrect in how payments are made @mycomicshop please correct me. I cannot image that MCS is withholding payment from sellers as purchasers are making payments.

Using the above as supposition it would make sense to report the sale at the point of consignor payment and not when the loan was repayed in full to MCS.

I do understand the thought of manipulation due to delayed reporting as the market and wildly swing in six months both to the positive and negative but unless there is upheaval this has probably been blown out of proportion for attention seeking effect.

On 11/25/2022 at 5:17 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

This after the fact reporting to GPA could very well be responsible for the seemingly endless number of “outliers”.  

They're not endless and there are a million different reasons for outliers on GPA. These outliers we're talking about make up a very small portion of the market. 

As I stated, and this is just my gut feeling, there are likely more sales that are NOT COMPLETED through various reporting sites than there are late reported sales. 

Think about how many books sell on eBay alone, which is likely the largest contributor to GPA. There's no way of verifying every sale. 

So people need to understand that GPA is a great tool but it's not Gospel. 

And learning to interpret it is just as important as having a subscription to it.

And people have been saying this for years. It's nothing new. 

^^^^^^^^^

this is getting truer & truer on these Boards every day