• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YouTube video about MyComicShop and ComicLink
9 9

237 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2022 at 10:32 AM, Motor City Rob said:

In GPA, yes you can filter for Signuture Series. The data is usually more scarce for SS so the prices could be more volatile. As far as outside GPA, I'm not sure if there's a good way to find SS values. 

Thank you for your response.
Deeply appreciated.
Is there a way to perform a search based on signer's name?
For example, pull data for Stan Lee signature series prices.

On 11/26/2022 at 2:56 PM, mycomicshop said:

Here's my view of the options and pros/cons, when it comes to reporting time payment sales to GPA where a purchase isn't fully paid for until a significant amount of time after the original purchase commitment was made:

Option 1: report to GPA upon final payment, date reported is date of final payment/shipment
Pros: Guaranteed that every sale reported to GPA actually happened, never any need to remove a previously reported sale
Cons: Sales show up months after the original auction end or purchase commitment was made, so the reported sale doesn't reflect market conditions at the date the sale is reported

Option 2: report to GPA upon final payment, date reported is date of original purchase commitment (auction end or date order submitted)
Pros: Guaranteed that every sale reported to GPA actually happened, never any need to remove a previously reported sale
Cons: Sales pop into existence several months back in the GPA sales record. GPA buyers and sellers who referenced GPA data in those intervening months could be confused by the sudden appearance of a data point that wasn't there when they previously looked at that time period.

Option 3: report to GPA upon "reliable enough" payment/commitment to buy, even though full payment has not been completed. In the hopefully rare event that the buyer does not complete payment, that would be passed to GPA and they would scrub the sale. Anyone seen to be attempting to abuse this mechanism to get data points into GPA without following through on the purchase would face additional consequences like no longer being allowed to purchase from us.
Pros: Sales show up at the time the purchase commitment is made
Cons: The possibility that the buyer doesn't complete the sale and a previously reported sale has to be removed from the record.

Option 4: GPA updates its data intake and UI to display the full context of time payment orders, allowing a data point to report both the date the sale was committed to, and the date the sale was fully paid and complete. Then either option 2 or option 3 could be used, and GPA users would have more insight to what's going on.
Pros: maximal info to GPA consumers
Cons: requires complications to GPA's interface I'm almost certain they don't want to make, also complicates the interpretation of GPA data for users.

Option 5: Just don't report time payment sales to GPA at all
Pros: There's nothing to criticize.
Cons: It removes meaningful and useful sales data from GPA, especially for high end sales where time payments are most common.

I agree that option 1 isn't what we want to do. It's the most reliable, but the trade-off isn't worth it since the data can create a false sense of where the market currently is.

Option 2 and 3 both seem preferable to option 1. Option 4 I don't think is a realistic option, and option 5 is the take the ball and go home answer that avoids thorny questions at the cost of GPA having less data.

George and I are going with option 3 for MCS's data, under this time payment framework for MCS:

- Required down payment to secure a time payment purchase will usually be 25%. I may occasionally move that number higher or lower for specific purchases/buyers.

- Upon receipt of that down payment, if the item is consigned we pay the consignor in full. We charge a 10% financing fee when buyers use time payments to purchase auction or consignment BINs. This financing fee covers the fact that we are effectively extending a loan to the buyer, since we pay the consignor up front, and then the buyer pays us back over time.

- For particularly large purchases, if the buyer does not want to pay that 10% financing fee, we can find out if the consignor is willing to wait to be paid until the item has been paid off. Most are. In that case there will be no financing fee charged since we're not fronting any funds for the buyer.

- All monies paid toward a time payment purchase are non-refundable. If a buyer pays 70%, 80%, even 90% toward an item and then stops, there's no refund. This policy is intended to create maximum incentive for a buyer to complete any time payments they agree to.

- If a buyer fails to complete payments and MCS already paid the consignor for it, MCS now owns the item and keeps whatever the buyer had paid to date. If the consignor chose to forgo getting paid until the item was paid in full, then the consignor continues to own the item and receives the funds the buyer paid--the consignor earned it by having their item tied up in a sale that the buyer did not complete.

- We would report the time payment sale to GPA upon receipt of that first deposit, usually 25%. The date we would report would be the date the auction ended or the date the order was first turned in. If the buyer later fails to make their payments we would report the canceled sale to GPA.

I don't expect this, or any solution to satisfy everybody. George and I are trying to do what we think creates maximum utility for GPA users, while acknowledging that the real world is a little messy.

Perfect solution to all of this

:golfclap:

On 11/26/2022 at 10:49 AM, Phill the Governor said:

1. Reporting the sale of a book when the final payment was made. The book was purchased for $100,000 6 months ago, and paid off today. However, today (6 months since the sale) the FMV for the book is now $60,000 instead of $100,000. So in 6 months the price dropped quite a lot. But reporting the sale at the last payment puts this $100,000 sale on GPA today and everyone else not associated with the sale says: "Hey look! the book just sold for $40,000 more than current FMV, it's going back up!!". Now you have a false sense of increased FMV which is... well, incredibly misleading.

Maybe if someone is a dunce and doesn't know how to use GPA. 

Here's my view of the options and pros/cons, when it comes to reporting time payment sales to GPA where a purchase isn't fully paid for until a significant amount of time after the original purchase commitment was made:

Option 1: report to GPA upon final payment, date reported is date of final payment/shipment
Pros: Guaranteed that every sale reported to GPA actually happened, never any need to remove a previously reported sale
Cons: Sales show up months after the original auction end or purchase commitment was made, so the reported sale doesn't reflect market conditions at the date the sale is reported

Option 2: report to GPA upon final payment, date reported is date of original purchase commitment (auction end or date order submitted)
Pros: Guaranteed that every sale reported to GPA actually happened, never any need to remove a previously reported sale
Cons: Sales pop into existence several months back in the GPA sales record. GPA buyers and sellers who referenced GPA data in those intervening months could be confused by the sudden appearance of a data point that wasn't there when they previously looked at that time period.

Option 3: report to GPA upon "reliable enough" payment/commitment to buy, even though full payment has not been completed. In the hopefully rare event that the buyer does not complete payment, that would be passed to GPA and they would scrub the sale. Anyone seen to be attempting to abuse this mechanism to get data points into GPA without following through on the purchase would face additional consequences like no longer being allowed to purchase from us.
Cons: The possibility that the buyer doesn't complete the sale and a previously reported sale has to be removed from the record.

Option 4: GPA updates its data intake and UI to display the full context of time payment orders, allowing a data point to report both the date the sale was committed to, and the date the sale was fully paid and complete. Then either option 2 or option 3 could be used, and GPA users would have more insight to what's going on.
Cons: requires complications to GPA's interface I'm almost certain they don't want to make, also complicates the interpretation of GPA data for users.

Cons: It removes meaningful and useful sales data from GPA, especially for high end sales where time payments are most common.

I agree that option 1 isn't what we want to do. It's the most reliable, but the trade-off isn't worth it since the data can create a false sense of where the market currently is.

Option 2 and 3 both seem preferable to option 1. Option 4 I don't think is a realistic option, and option 5 is the take the ball and go home answer that avoids thorny questions at the cost of GPA having less data.

George and I are going with option 3 for MCS's data, under this time payment framework for MCS:

- Required down payment to secure a time payment purchase will usually be 25%. I may occasionally move that number higher or lower for specific purchases/buyers.

- Upon receipt of that down payment, if the item is consigned we pay the consignor in full. We charge a 10% financing fee when buyers use time payments to purchase auction or consignment BINs. This financing fee covers the fact that we are effectively extending a loan to the buyer, since we pay the consignor up front, and then the buyer pays us back over time.

- For particularly large purchases, if the buyer does not want to pay that 10% financing fee, we can find out if the consignor is willing to wait to be paid until the item has been paid off. Most are. In that case there will be no financing fee charged since we're not fronting any funds for the buyer.

- All monies paid toward a time payment purchase are non-refundable. If a buyer pays 70%, 80%, even 90% toward an item and then stops, there's no refund. This policy is intended to create maximum incentive for a buyer to complete any time payments they agree to.

- If a buyer fails to complete payments and MCS already paid the consignor for it, MCS now owns the item and keeps whatever the buyer had paid to date. If the consignor chose to forgo getting paid until the item was paid in full, then the consignor continues to own the item and receives the funds the buyer paid--the consignor earned it by having their item tied up in a sale that the buyer did not complete.

- We would report the time payment sale to GPA upon receipt of that first deposit, usually 25%. The date we would report would be the date the auction ended or the date the order was first turned in. If the buyer later fails to make their payments we would report the canceled sale to GPA.

I don't expect this, or any solution to satisfy everybody. George and I are trying to do what we think creates maximum utility for GPA users, while acknowledging that the real world is a little messy.

This is a reasonable solution, and also a use case for why GPA, or any data aggregator in or out of the comics world, still requires a level of interpretive critical thinking when viewing the data,  and should not be used as the end-all, be-all when determining FMV.

This is probably the most efficient way to do it, especially if your clientele is consistent with completing payments. 

Is anyone familiar with any commissoin maximum at comiclink, comicconnect, heritage, etc.? It seems like it would be an extremely poor decision to buy a high value book at MCS, which has a cap of $1000, and have it sent to an auction house that wouldn't match or come extremely close to this option. 

Edited by Flanders82

I just read through this entire thread because someone told me my Katy Keenes were mentioned...and @Ryan.thank you, but I'd jump off a bridge before I'd make one of those videos, 

To George and Conan, thank you...I have learned that you, have more patience than I could ever imagine.

I've also learned that I made the correct decision not to join Face Book or any of that other stuff and to only use You tube when I can't find the manual for something ...or to listen to music.

I have a simple suggestion, IF George can do the programming. Just add the books when they are "bought" and if they are on time payments add an asterisk.

Personally I like the idea of posting them when they are fully paid, because someone could see the market drop and just back out...or anything else could happen...but I also respect the   Blazing one and I understand why he reports immediately.. 

Back to seeing if I missed any Black Friday things I can't possibly do without;) :foryou:

On 11/27/2022 at 9:57 AM, blazingbob said:

Blazing one would not report immediately.  Blazing one would only report when the item is paid for with a sale date of when it was ordered.  If it wasn't paid for it would never show up in GPA and wouldn't require a retraction.  

I believe this to be the most reasonable and logical solution. 

Biggest take away from this.  Next time don't make a YouTube video before you know all the facts. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder