• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Great is This Hobby? What Do You Love About Comics?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

I've had many phases of comic collecting over the decades, but the genre that gives me the biggest buzz, in terms of artwork, covers, stories and general pop culture history interest, is undoubtedly PCH.

PCH is my greatest joy in comics along with PCC.

I love the "time machine" effect, taking me back to my youth and when I thought the world was much simpler. (Late 70's/early 80's lol) Add to that some great art work and storytelling. If you get both aka Claremont & Byrne, the magic really happens. 

On 11/26/2022 at 1:05 PM, The lips said:

What’s better than having this story go on and on and be pretty much never ending as there’s always next months issue to look forward to. 

That’s one of my favorite parts - the characters I love are always there in a new story, no matter when I want to pick them up and read.

I also love that no one else in this world has the exact same taste as me. My shelves and shortboxes are unique. I may have all the classics, all the stuff you'd expect, but you're gonna find stuff that'll throw you for a curveball, that you'd never expect to see, some books you've never heard of, creators I love who are just mysterious names to you. And likewise me to you and so on. I can look at your collection and walk away with ten new books I've discovered through you that sound interesting, artists I like the look of, or a new writer who sounds intriguing. 

I've always got something to learn. There's no point at which I 'know' comics. There's always something. 

It's the part of your childhood that is hard to give up. The Comic art style is just something that I really enjoy. It's been absorbed into our current culture. And then I think about the work put into making just one book. A whole team of people working together not just to earn a paycheck, but to put out quality work that people can enjoy. I always look back at that Claremont/Byrne/Austin run and wonder how they kept up such quality work for so many years. And there have been so many others. Part of the enjoyment is finding the others.

On 11/25/2022 at 3:03 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Man, I love this place - it puts some of the nicest, knowledgeable people in the hobby together in one online community.

This hobby has kept me sane for more years that I can count. On the hunt for comics, trying to find art I like, buying stuff to speculate on and trying to flip it to buy more stuff. Talking with people almost every day and getting along with 99% of them. Learning about books I never paid attention to when I was younger. I'm thankful that when I started collecting as a kid that this medium interested me so much that it has taken up most of my life - even when I got interested in other stuff, I always came back to comics when I got bored with those things.

How great is Dueling Dealers? Bill, @romitaman , Anthony and Sharon put in a bunch of hard work, and I race home every Wednesday to try and catch it. I don't even do that for an MCU show. The Facebook Original Art Collectors group is also filled with a bunch of helpful people, what a great resource.

@Crimebusterand @DiceXproducing their own comics - I'm happy as a wedge for those guys, they get to fulfill a dream I've (and many others) have always had.

So much to love about comics - the stuff we don't love always gets a lot of action here, so I thought we could have a thread about what makes the hobby great for each of us.

I love interacting with usernames like Dr. Balls

A little more comic joy with a win just now. Another childhood upgrade.:cloud9:

The QP & PQ could be better, but for $34 :takeit:

865570635_Scan_20221127(23).thumb.jpg.9e8ccc49cc208122080b212f3efbaa3c.jpg935616497_s-l1600(9).thumb.jpg.b1eb1c56f6ce55900c49f617f85e3f85.jpg

Book was pretty crazy as a kid.   This page in particular....

535440A4-85EF-4F38-A79B-0A2E5EFE1B77.thumb.jpeg.c632901c188be575fe4b0319f83b75a8.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 11/25/2022 at 3:03 PM, Dr. Balls said:

@Crimebusterand @DiceXproducing their own comics - I'm happy as a wedge for those guys, they get to fulfill a dream I've (and many others) have always had.

Thanks for thinking of me! This post actually came at a really good time for me. My current Kickstarter ends tonight (here it is if anyone is interested) and this campaign has been really challenging. In fact, the entire process of putting this issue together has been very difficult right from the start. But this thread is a really timely reminder that even when it's hard, making comics (and reading and collecting comics) is the most fun around. 🤗

I collect mainly for the artwork, which is why I collect all ages, and preferably collected editions (most of the good stuff is "oversized"). I think that most pre-Bronze stuff is poorly-written for my standards, but there's a lot to love about older artists and their works.

My endgame is probably a piece of Alex Ross OA. Maybe before I'm 50?

On 11/29/2022 at 5:57 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

My endgame is probably a piece of Alex Ross OA. Maybe before I'm 50?

That's a pretty wicked goal. :headbang: