• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mycomicshop cancelled my order without asking me, I lost money on the foreign exchange refund and they have stopped contacting me and done nothing to make it right.
2 2

105 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2022 at 5:31 PM, Red84 said:

I just want to point out that we are talking about a purchase of $170. How much could have been lost in the exchange rate fluctuations? $5? $10?

Seems like a whole lot of angst over a small amount of money.

The response is very disproportionate to the actual loss suffered. 

Said loss is, when dealing with foreign currencies, a cost of doing business. Sometimes it works out in your favour, sometimes it doesn't. You merely hope that in the end, it all washes out and you end up somewhere in the middle. 

On 11/26/2022 at 11:31 PM, Red84 said:

I just want to point out that we are talking about a purchase of $170. How much could have been lost in the exchange rate fluctuations? $5? $10?

Seems like a whole lot of angst over a small amount of money.

The OP provided a limited amount of information but if MCS did have to cancel the order, in the future should they give customers the option of store credit instead of refunding the money, to avoid issues with exchange rates? Shouldn't MCS consider improving this area of their business to avoid potentially bigger losses by customers on higher value purchases? 

Edited by Flanders82

On 11/27/2022 at 6:14 PM, mycomicshop said:

This is the first time in 20+ years selling online that I can recall a customer having a problem with getting refunded the same amount they got charged originally due to exchange rate movements.

I can definitely tell you that the large majority of customers who pay by credit card and require a refund prefer to be refunded to the credit card, rather than getting store credit. There are people who are regular repeat customers who will be fine getting credit, but there are also people who get refunded with credit who will view it as you're keeping their money hostage and if they can't get their original purchase, they don't want you keeping their money at all. IMO it's not a common enough desire to be worth the complexity of asking people whether they want a refund to their card or as account credit, rather than just refunding to the card automatically.

I absolutely hate getting asked if I'd prefer store credit. It really irks me, even if it's a store I regularly shop at. 

Regarding the reposted books, reply I sent the OP:

We are a retailer, we sell comics. We also offer a consignment service in which comic collectors can send us comics to sell through our site.

When our consignors buy from us, they have the option of asking us to keep the item with us as a consignment in their account, rather than shipping the item to them. So yes, when somebody buys a comic from us, and then reconsigns it, they will be listing it as a new listing at a higher price. It's the original buyer of the item who is reselling it, and there's nothing wrong happening there. Buyer A buys a comic from us, relists it as a higher priced consignment, and sells it to Buyer B. Buyer A made some money, and buyer B buys a comic at a price they accepted when they chose to buy it.

On 11/27/2022 at 2:24 AM, Cat said:

I absolutely hate getting asked if I'd prefer store credit. It really irks me, even if it's a store I regularly shop at. 

(((((CGC)))))

We still love them don't we, but I've felt this way a long time. Sometimes there is a choice though I think, but I most hear about being offered credit; although that is worth it for me Sometimes idk

I cannot believe the incredible amount of patience Conan shows in responding to the complaints people post to this forum (and, apparently, others).

It would be a truly wonderful thing if more people tried one of the following:

• Contact MCS customer service and give them a chance to resolve your issue quickly and with a minimum of fuss (not to mention recklessly unfair public speculation)
  • Contact Conan directly -- you will not see an owner of a business of MCS' size making himself this easy to reach (except maybe the narcissistic lunatic who bought Twitter)
  • Above all, give the benefit of the doubt until and unless there is a clear demonstration of malicious intent and/or subpar service (spoiler alert:  this won't happen)

It's really not hard, especially when the business in question has worked so hard and so earnestly to build its well-deserved reputation.

On 11/26/2022 at 7:19 PM, Turnando said:

Nobody in America really wants to hear an excuse.

We don't want to hear an excuse, but we get them nonetheless. I am constantly barraged with excuses in even the most plain, mundane experiences to why things don't get done, why things happen, why people make mistakes, etc.

Sorry to the OP about their experience - I am always happy with my service and communication with MCS, and it looks like Conan dropped in here to comment on his weekend. When Boardies comment on MCS, they are here shortly after to talk and discuss - that's pretty amazing for as large as they are.

On 11/27/2022 at 12:37 AM, Cat said:

You merely hope that in the end, it all washes out and you end up somewhere in the middle. 

That's a great life philosophy that took me until my mid-40's to adhere to.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:57 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I cannot believe the incredible amount of patience Conan shows in responding to the complaints people post to this forum (and, apparently, others).

It would be a truly wonderful thing if more people tried one of the following:

• Contact MCS customer service and give them a chance to resolve your issue quickly and with a minimum of fuss (not to mention recklessly unfair public speculation)
  • Contact Conan directly -- you will not see an owner of a business of MCS' size making himself this easy to reach (except maybe the narcissistic lunatic who bought Twitter)
  • Above all, give the benefit of the doubt until and unless there is a clear demonstration of malicious intent and/or subpar service (spoiler alert:  this won't happen)

It's really not hard, especially when the business in question has worked so hard and so earnestly to build its well-deserved reputation.

I'm at a party, reading the CGC forum on my phone  but...

1) He contacted CS and got no response.

2) Why is it on a customer to know who a "Conan" is or how to contact him directly?  Shouldn't contacting customer service be enough?

On 11/27/2022 at 9:57 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

(except maybe the narcissistic lunatic who bought Twitter)

Aww.  Did you you leave Twitter?

😭

On 11/27/2022 at 1:30 AM, mycomicshop said:

I haven't read the whole thread (I'm out at a party), but copying the reply I just posted to the same topic that was posted on Reddit. 

Hi,

We list both on our own web site and on eBay. When it sells on one site it is quickly and automatically taken down in the other. Rarely, but occasionally we will receive an order from both venues faster than the listing can be removed in the other. When that happens we can only fill one order. That's what happened here. 

I'm not sure what this guy is referring to about "reposting books for higher" but happy to answer ANY questions about that because we don't do anything like that. 

Regarding refunds, the buyer shows as paying $170.44 USD, and we show refunding $170.44 USD. Happy to follow up with the buyer if there's anything else I can do, but we do not control fluctuations in exchange rates and cannot refund a larger amount than we actually charged. 

I'm out enjoying my weekend at the moment and will be in a better position to answer further on Monday. 

Conan with MyComicShop conan@mycomicshop.com

Just Reddit? He missed at least a dozen other places he could have made this private exchange public. Very disappointing. 

On 11/27/2022 at 10:41 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I'm at a party, reading the CGC forum on my phone  but...

1) He contacted CS and got no response.

2) Why is it on a customer to know who a "Conan" is or how to contact him directly?  Shouldn't contacting customer service be enough?

Aww.  Did you you leave Twitter?

😭

Based on my own experience with MCS, I'm skeptical of the claim that customer service didn't respond.  As for the option of contacting Conan personally, that option is included for the multiple boardies who know how to reach him through this forum and still choose to engage in careless public speculation.  Some of them do it even when they are not directly involved in the specific case being discussed.

And no, I haven't left Twitter, I'll be watching that disaster up close all the way down.

On 11/27/2022 at 10:41 AM, Sigur Ros said:

The OP knows who MCS is, and understands the internet enough to post here.  Why not do I quick search....locate the MCS thread...and post an inquiry within it tagging MCS

Or....start posting everywhere on the internet like a spoiled child who feels ignored. 

On 11/27/2022 at 11:32 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

As for the option of contacting Conan personally, that option is included for the multiple boardies who know how to reach him through this forum.

So...boardies.  

Not regular MCS customers.

On 11/27/2022 at 11:32 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

And no, I haven't left Twitter, I'll be watching that disaster up close all the way down.

That's good, because member counts add to it's value.

If you hate him so much, you should delete your account.