• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OCD Alert: What is this strange mark on Amazing Spider-Man 39?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

So I'm looking for an Amazing Spider-Man 39 and came across this little dot that looks like a pen mark. Many copies have it, but not all of them. What could it be? Fueling my OCD is the fact that for one of the copies (the first pic, the 8.0 copy) the CGC graders notes mention "writing left bottom of front cover." Other than the little dot I can't see any kind of writing on the cover of that copy. Could the CGC grader have assumed it was a pen mark like I did at first? Any ideas? Maybe some dust got on a printer's plate or something?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4no.jpg

5no.jpg

It's definitely a minor printing defect.  Looking at the Heritage website I see that dot on at least three different 9.8 copies.  

If the grader's note is referring to that dot I would say that it is erroneous.

Edited by Mutant Manatee

Thanks for the help! Sometimes I see white dots on silver age covers too...maybe the same kind of random printing defect.

ASM 39's cover seems specifically designed to provoke my OCD response. Two types of defects that really annoy me are corners that are blunted or crushed with color-breaking creases, and any kind of cover banners that aren't perfectly straight. Most copies of ASM 39 I see seem to suffer from at least one and often both of these problems. I'll take color-breaking spine tics all day over crappy corners and even very slight angles on banners.

On 12/4/2022 at 10:15 AM, Jaylam said:

It's probably just an ink dot from the printing process since some books have it and some do not. There's a similar printing dot, only in this case it's ink loss on some copies of Fantastic Four #48. Some copies have it and some don't.

1810662033_fantasticfour48cgc9_edited.jpg.aeda9a8d09d25b03319e949dfe636194.jpg

1507658633_fantasticfour48cgc8_edited.jpg.21d6e270f589bf99d7ea67f642a549c2.jpg

There's an issue of Moon Knight like that, either 25 or 29 IIRC ... GOD BLESS... 

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

The real question is was that early in the press run, where it was noticed and then cleaned off the plate, to continue the run - or was it at the end and never got caught at all. hm

Could affect the value… :baiting:

On 12/4/2022 at 6:21 PM, Gaard said:

'Amulet' and no 'amulet'  (middle of BP's chest)

No amulet

IMG_8120_2.thumb.jpg.8545ac21020efb8a94d335ba0924bc87.jpg

If any of these copies bother anyone, I'll bless you and take it off your hands! Jk lol

I didn't know the amulet ff52 thing, which is interesting. I could have sworn someone mentioned a "dirty face" spawn #1, and I did a search for it but they all look like that lol

I'm just glad to see the proof of most copies here. :headbang:

On 12/4/2022 at 3:39 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:
On 12/4/2022 at 2:32 AM, jimjum12 said:

It's a very small crumb of slightly burnt rye bread from a Reuben Sandwich .... I've seen it many times before. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

You just ate this for breakfast, didn't you?

Well, there was a can of sardines dumped in it as well....,