• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you post all your art on caf or just select pieces?
4 4

116 posts in this topic

On 12/20/2022 at 11:15 AM, alxjhnsn said:

I love a good description. I want to know why they bought the page/image. You might enjoy my descriptions. I claim that they are the best on the CAF. Here's an example.

Man, you're not kidding. You've got personal thoughts in there, detective work, and provenance of sale! That was a great write-up, and I agree - those Nazi aircraft makes it a really cool strip - lots of action crammed into such a small space.

On 12/20/2022 at 4:41 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Man, you're not kidding. You've got personal thoughts in there, detective work, and provenance of sale! That was a great write-up, and I agree - those Nazi aircraft makes it a really cool strip - lots of action crammed into such a small space.

Well, I did cherry pick a little. :)

On 12/20/2022 at 12:15 PM, alxjhnsn said:

I love a good description. I want to know why they bought the page/image. You might enjoy my descriptions. I claim that they are the best on the CAF. Here's an example.

Alex, that Superman daily is really a great example WOW surprised Roy Liechtenstein didn't use any of the 3 panels for one of his paintings, each one has a completely POP art feel to em!

What a beautiful daily.

On 12/11/2022 at 7:14 PM, delekkerste said:

I used to post almost everything on CAF up through around 2013/14, but, then took a lot of stuff down and have posted relatively sparingly since then so that now I have under 30% of my collection shown publicly in my gallery. 

Why not post everything?

- just don't feel the need to anymore; I enjoy all the art I buy and that's enough for me (though, of course I do like to share certain pieces and remain active socially in the hobby)

- I like that people don't know everything that I have...a little mystery can be fun. Love the "wow, I can't believe you have this!" and "You've had this for how long and haven't posted it??" reactions I get when people do find out that I have something that is not posted publicly. 

- also don't think people have to know everything I've gotten rid of either :fear: 

- like it or not, freshness is a factor, both when buying and selling. There have been pieces in our hobby that people got sick of seeing either move around all the time or that sat unsold at too-high a price and can benefit from time out of the spotlight. And if you sell or trade a piece, the element of newness and being a "shiny new thing" can definitely work in your favor hm 

- also don't necessarily want people to know everything I'm buying because I don't want the added attention/competition for what I'm looking at :sumo: 

- and I don't necessarily want to be held for ransom - "e.g., I'll only trade you this piece if _____ in your CAF gallery is part of the deal" - or pestered by offers and inquiries on a lot of pieces 

and most importantly

- You cannot be a real Cabal member if your collection is an open book and people know everything you own. It's in the bylaws somewhere. :rulez: 

5143A005-1121-4DC8-9ED3-88806FCB205D.jpeg

On 12/21/2022 at 8:17 AM, chrisco37 said:

5143A005-1121-4DC8-9ED3-88806FCB205D.jpeg

Yeah I guess that does boil down to what its mostly about.    But all of Gene's points are fair, at the same time.  hm

Edited by Bronty

I probably have about 50-60% of my collection posted on CAF. Mostly because I'm too lazy to do the work necessary to post all of them. I also do want to keep a few pages close to the vest, for various reasons. I don't get a lot of offers for my stuff, but when I do it's easy enough to just politely decline if I am not willing to sell. 

I think the "fresh to market" price premium is a myth. What isn't a myth is that if you happen to have bought a page from an auction house in the past few years, or an art rep, the amount you paid is probably in a searchable database so that does affect the price. Certain "fresh to market pieces" may increase eyeballs to a particular auction, or it could be a piece a group of collectors have been searching for, for a while. But, I can't believe a run of the mill page with no special characteristics would garner a premium just because it was in a black hole collection for 20 years.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 12/14/2022 at 4:01 PM, JC25427N said:

Are you sure that artist meant original art specifically? I know there's an issue where artist's work is getting reposted without credit on other socials/tiktok and that's creating a headache for them. But for CAF, you'd only post the art that you bought the original of. It's such a niche case. I know you mentioned patreon art rewards, so I guess you're lumping that in, but I think it's prudent to differentiate between art reposting and posting on CAF. 

Either way, yeah of course, if an artist made that request then it's only courteous to honor it, but I don't want people to start fear mongering and make it seem as if posting your commissions is taking food out of artist's mouths. 

Some comic artists are now reluctant to publish new stuff online because it because it gets mined by certain software programs to train AI art bots. This is an actual thing now. 

On 12/13/2022 at 7:17 PM, timguerrero said:

I definitely do NOT post everything on CAF. I used to when I first started collecting but then I made a trade I immediately regretted. After that I decided I would no longer post art I was not willing to trade or sell. This last year I decided I would start posting once again but with the caveat that I would price my art for sale at a price point I would be comfortable receiving in order to let go of the art (mostly very expensive prices except on those pieces I really want to sell or out of my collection). I am sad to report this has not deterred CAF members of making low ball offers.

Not to be a pedant, but when you say "low ball" offers, are they really "low ball," or just FMV offers that are below your artificially high asking prices intended to deter offers? 

On 1/4/2023 at 10:58 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Not to be a pedant, but when you say "low ball" offers, are they really "low ball," or just FMV offers that are below your artificially high asking prices intended to deter offers? 

I can't speak for timguerrero, but I once got an particularly egregious low ball offer for a piece by a current comic book artist. If the person making the offer had just done a google search for the artist they would have realized that their offer was half what the artist was selling their work for. Even if they thought the artists prices were too high surely it should have occurred to them that was likely what I paid.

On 1/4/2023 at 6:29 PM, hmendryk said:

I can't speak for timguerrero, but I once got an particularly egregious low ball offer for a piece by a current comic book artist. If the person making the offer had just done a google search for the artist they would have realized that their offer was half what the artist was selling their work for. Even if they thought the artists prices were too high surely it should have occurred to them that was likely what I paid.

I'd be curious what the artist's pages were selling for on the secondary market instead of what they were charging. So many modern artists and their reps are in candy land with prices and the auction houses bring some realism to the market. 

On 1/4/2023 at 7:51 PM, Hockeyflow33 said:

I'd be curious what the artist's pages were selling for on the secondary market instead of what they were charging. So many modern artists and their reps are in candy land with prices and the auction houses bring some realism to the market. 

By definition, the vast majority of new comic art is overpriced at dealer or rep sites. How do I know this? Because most of it just sits there for months, or years in some cases. 

On 1/5/2023 at 8:21 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

By definition, the vast majority of new comic art is overpriced at dealer or rep sites. How do I know this? Because most of it just sits there for months, or years in some cases. 

Haha correct. Some employ the excellent sales strategy of raising prices on unsold product. 

I like to post all of my art on CAF, but I have a relative small collection which includes published pages and convention sketches. I have recieved both positive comments and low ball offers. But I like that while my art is not for sale it is available to both see and know that it is out there.

I wish the site was better able to search descriptions and what is and isn't for sale, and be able to search for published pieces or convention sketches 

On 1/5/2023 at 5:37 PM, Ducky13 said:

I like to post all of my art on CAF, but I have a relative small collection which includes published pages and convention sketches. I have recieved both positive comments and low ball offers. But I like that while my art is not for sale it is available to both see and know that it is out there.

I wish the site was better able to search descriptions and what is and isn't for sale, and be able to search for published pieces or convention sketches 

You can mark it as for sale if you want. 

On 1/5/2023 at 5:37 PM, Ducky13 said:

If you click "expand search options" you get additional filters which include published/unpublished and art type (which includes convention sketches).

As for sale/not for sale, you can click the Classifieds Tab in the search results which will let you know what premium members have for sale, but for regular members you just have to hover over the piece and see if the For Sale Status says NFS or something else, no way to filter specifically for pieces that non-premium members have for sale. 

Edited by JC25427N
art type, not media type

Select pieces.  I prefer to show a representative group of pages to highlight the strengths of a book/artist/story, etc.  If you have too much of one thing, I think it dilutes the impact of any given art.  For example, I love Bronze Age DC Horror ... especially the title pages.  Does anyone really want to look through a 100 of those, even if I love them?  Probably not, and it takes away from a smaller selection of pieces.

On 1/6/2023 at 12:49 PM, Heidjer Staecker said:

For example, I love Bronze Age DC Horror ... especially the title pages.  Does anyone really want to look through a 100 of those, even if I love them?  Probably not, and it takes away from a smaller selection of pieces.

Since those stories are just one-offs, it's different than having 100 pages of the same series or character or artist.  For DC horror, I'd be more willing to look at 100 title splashes if you had the entire story. 

Edited by Will_K

I've gotten inquires in the past usually for the same few pieces. Never a lowball offer since they never actually give a number and more just ask if I would be open to selling and if I would be interested in a trade. I've never taken up any of the offers so far since I really love everything I have-more so for what gets asked about.

On 1/4/2023 at 9:58 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

@PhilipB2k17 When I say low ball offers I mean low ball offers well below FMV. In 2021 & 2022 I decided to purge my collection of items that didn't fit my collecting focus anymore so I paid for market data on CAF and did all my due diligence to get a grasp on what FMV would be for the pieces I intended to sell and for those that people were asking to buy. My "artificial" asking price is the price I'd be comfortable selling some of my high end pieces but maybe I should just put them in my black hole collection all together and forget about posting to CAF as I no longer buy items I don't intend to keep long term, I've learned that when willing to sell, the Heritage way is the best way to get top dollar for high end pieces on signature auctions. Dealer pricing is always higher than FMV but coveted pieces sell really fast. Just look at DD and you see that pieces rarely sell for the initial asking price waiting until the recap until they accept a more reasonable offer (unless it is a highly coveted piece which is purchased immediately for the initial asking price). If you take a closer look at their initial pricing it usually is priced about a 10-20% above FMV.

@Hockeyflow33I too have seen that some reps price the art too high as last year I purchased on ebay a cover from an artist represented by the most successful rep the OA market has right now and I bought it for half of what he originally sold it for. I didn't think my bid would win the auction but it did and suddenly I freaked out that I maybe had purchased a fake piece but when I consulted it turned out that the piece was not fake. Weirdly enough his art drops usually completely sell out or at least 80-95% of the pieces posted for sale such as yesterdays drop.

@Ducky13agreed lately CAF seems to be a little outdated and in need of an overhaul.

@Heidjer Staecker when I look at a seller on ebay and he has 100's or 1,000's of pieces for sale it usually deters me of looking through them.

When I got really busy with work and life, I took down most of it and then only left a few pieces up as a place holder on the site.  Haven't posted in years.  Mostly because I'm too busy these days, not for any other reason.  Posting more means I'll have to respond to people or check back every so often, and currently I only check in once or twice a year.  Still active and watch/buy at the auctions, but just less (or non) active in the hobby part (except with my personal friends in the hobby - I'm still active with them :)).