• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating longshot975
5 5

111 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2022 at 5:38 PM, ExNihilo said:

But then again, you're not supposed to be sending comics via Media Mail so maybe you're worried your claim will be rejected.

I’d kinda like to see proof that the books were actually insured for $200+

I’m skeptical that someone who would ship these books via media mail would actually pay the extra fees to insure the package for the full value.  

On 12/22/2022 at 8:41 PM, KCOComics said:

You say in the listing the books are insured to cover for any shipping mishaps.  You obviously wrote that to give customers peace of mind.  Regardless of if the package is actually insured, you have an obligation to deliver on your commitments.

This.

I just got a bunch of books from @jjfversion1 wrapped so tight it took me 10 minutes to open the packaging after wading through the bubble wrap. No way those books were moving a centimeter. Clearly these books were were not close to shipped that way. If there is one thing I've learned here is that you can't cheap out on the packing supplies and yeah, don't reuse the boxes. 

It’s my understanding that if one is filing an insurance claim, you’ll eventually need the books back to collect. My postmaster says that if usps pays out an insurance claim they keep the item(s). He also says payouts on damaged collectibles can be tough to achieve as they want proof of claimed value. (Eg - Third-party appraisal). I have luckily never had to test the process so I don’t have personal experience, but he has always given me this specific guidance before selling me any.

On 12/22/2022 at 10:07 PM, Readcomix said:

My postmaster says that if usps pays out an insurance claim they keep the item(s). He also says payouts on damaged collectibles can be tough to achieve as they want proof of claimed value. (Eg - Third-party appraisal).

I've put in a couple of insurance claims and provided detailed photos of the damage and the price paid on eBay for value. They never requested the items.

On 12/23/2022 at 8:58 AM, Chaz G. said:

I've put in a couple of insurance claims and provided detailed photos of the damage and the price paid on eBay for value. They never requested the items.

Thank you — I need to discuss this with my postmaster. You got paid for the damage and they did not retain the items? Sounds like from what you describe the bar is in fact high for successful claims but not near as high as he has described to me! 

On 12/23/2022 at 9:10 AM, crassus said:

There is no vote. 72hrs from the time of the nomination he will go on the PL. At any time he may contact Timmay to resolve it.

Too bad. I wanted to go on record voting yes to the probation.

I guess this is good enough.

I don't understand cheaping out on shipping; a medium flat rate priority box is $15 and you can double box with a 1092 & 1095 then customize the internal packaging and pay for none of it! You can literally order as many free boxes, mailers, and tubes until they ask you to knock it off, then do it again after 30 days.

The money "saved" versus the risk of media mail is never worth it, no matter how many times you have gotten away with it previously.

On 12/23/2022 at 10:29 AM, DougC said:

I don't understand cheaping out on shipping; a medium flat rate priority box is $15 and you can double box with a 1092 & 1095 then customize the internal packaging and pay for none of it! You can literally order as many free boxes, mailers, and tubes until they ask you to knock it off, then do it again after 30 days.

The money "saved" versus the risk of media mail is never worth it, no matter how many times you have gotten away with it previously.

And just charge for the shipping cost. Seller doesn't have to eat any expense. It is such a self inflicted wound.