• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
11 11

812 posts in this topic

SPAWN 203 - CGC 9.8 

I had a very difficult time finding this one in grade. Tough book. One of the last I tracked down. 

203.jpg

SPAWN 204 - CGC 9.8 

I freaking love Kudranski! Perfect artist for Spawn! Too bad the print runs are sinking to a new low. There was an obvious bump for issue 200, but then things settle back down...quickly. These are some of the more difficult books. 

Looking at the cover...I think about all the damage Spawn has taken over the years. :cry:

204.jpg

On 9/26/2023 at 10:53 AM, LadyDeath said:

I often wonder if a 9.8 (or even 9.6) for issue 156 will ever be unearthed.

We have talked about that here. 

I'm pretty bleak on the idea that it will ever happen, but I have been very surprised at the jump in census numbers on some of these issues. I honestly wonder where they came from. 

So, even though I'm of the opinion that we will never see one, I've also learned to never say never. 

On 9/26/2023 at 9:28 PM, newshane said:

I'm pretty bleak on the idea that it will ever happen, but I have been very surprised at the jump in census numbers on some of these issues. I honestly wonder where they came from. 

So, even though I'm of the opinion that we will never see one, I've also learned to never say never. 

Well said. I recently checked issue 149 and didn't realize it had so many 9.8s.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:28 PM, newshane said:

It would be wild if a 9.6 or 9.8 would see the light of day. I went and double checked my raw copy last night, and its probably a 9.4 at best. If a 9.8 ever surfaces, it would be one Spawn book that could probably fetch in the 4 digit range since it is so rare in a high grade.

SPAWN 207 - CGC 9.8 

One of my very favorite Kudranski covers. This was a gorgeous book. 

207.jpg

SPAWN 210 CGC 9.8 

This and the next few issues were extremely difficult for me to find back in the day. And I mean these were the toughest of the tough. This is approximately where the print runs bottomed out. They eventually started to climb back up a notch, but this was the valley. 

Michael Golden began a brief run as the cover artist beginning with this issue.. 

Spawn 210 .jpg

Edited by newshane

SPAWN 211 - CGC 9.8 

This one gave me big time fits back in the day. One of the last I had to track down. Spawn 210-215 were very, very tough! 

211.jpg

SPAWN 212 - MISSING 

Only two books kept me from having a complete set of 9.8s or better. Spawn 156 and Spawn 212. I'm baffled that there are now 10 of these at 9.8. Back in my day, there were none. Where did they come from? I turned the world upside down and could never find one. 

On 10/3/2023 at 10:32 AM, newshane said:

SPAWN 212 - MISSING 

Only two books kept me from having a complete set of 9.8s or better. Spawn 156 and Spawn 212. I'm baffled that there are now 10 of these at 9.8. Back in my day, there were none. Where did they come from? I turned the world upside down and could never find one. 

where did they go? They found cotton eyed Joe!  ::banana::

lol so close but not necessarily far away!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

SPAWN 213 - CGC 9.8 

Another Michael Golden cover. To me, his work is pretty lukewarm. While there is nothing to openly despise, there is certainly nothing to celebrate. 

Part of the problem with the Spawn run is the lack of continuity. The book was going through so many stylistic changes during this time that it was hard to establish an identity for the series. One month things would be dark and grim and the next month it would look like a children's book again. Throw in story arcs that were going all over the place with no direction, and it's easy to see why Spawn's popularity was at an all-time low down at your favorite LCS. 

213.jpg

On 10/4/2023 at 1:52 PM, newshane said:

Part of the problem with the Spawn run is the lack of continuity. The book was going through so many stylistic changes during this time that it was hard to establish an identity for the series. One month things would be dark and grim and the next month it would look like a children's book again. Throw in story arcs that were going all over the place with no direction, and it's easy to see why Spawn's popularity was at an all-time low down at your favorite LCS. 

This is my biggest problem with Spawn. Big picture view: great concept, interesting story, complex character.

Close up: lots of exposition, massive retconning, really wordy in some issues, the new reports are a huge waste of time, and so many plot lines go off on a strange side tangent and then just end.