• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2023
2 2

323 posts in this topic

My readthrough of Berserk is near its end. I started last year, alternating between Berserk digests and GI Joe (Marvel) TPBs. I hit a dead end in getting the Joe TPBs I needed (a problem I recently rectified), so I made pretty quick work of the Berserk volumes. I have Berserk #41, which is the last one completed by the original author/illustrator, who died recently. His team is going to continue on with the series. Although I haven't read #41 yet (will start tonight), there's no way the series is near its end. I may wait for a few digests to come out before I get back into the series. I enjoyed the series overall. It certainly has a few problems, but it has been a very fun read. The series also takes up a whole bookshelf! I'll post a pic when I'm all done.

20230116_171652.jpg

20230120_063707.jpg

20230125_094210.jpg

23 comics so far this year.

This week I experienced the abrupt end to the Berserk series. The creator/writer/illustrator died recently, leaving the series incomplete. The story is really just in the middle with so much story to tell. The series certainly had its highs and lows, but it was really fun read. The only books I didn't read yet were the guidebook (character profiles) and a novel about a supporting character. I'll hold off on these and see what happens with the series. Hopefully in the next couple of years the team supporting the original creator will put out more books, and I'll use those two as a refresher. For now, I'm back to my GI Joe series, currently on TPB #9 of the original Marvel run.

20230127_063838.jpg

20230127_063933.jpg

32 comics so far this year.

GI Joe (Marvel) Vol 9. I think these are the meandering issues I was warned about before starting the series. Some of the plot lines around Zartan/Snake-Eyes/Storm Shadow are uninteresting and carrying on for far too long. Billy continues to be a somewhat annoying character. We're starting to see more build up between Destro and Cobra Commander, and I'm excited to see where that's going.

20230202_063105.jpg

Up to 43 books for the year.

GI Joe Vol 10 was really good. Cobra Commander is one vengeful and vicious dude! I've had the GI Joe trading cards since my childhood, and there were references on the cards to the volcano incident. It was fun to finally read about that part of GI Joe history.

20230209_125650.jpg

Been meaning to post this, but keep forgetting :)

Here's what I've read in January 2023, a total of 123 comics.

The "Blast" series was a very disturbing read but very moving and impressive.  https://www.europecomics.com/serie/blast/

Alien 4
American Jesus Revelation 2
Batman - Fortress 07
Batman One Bad Day Mr Freeze 1 (3 comics)
Billionaire Island Cult of Dogs 2
Black Panther 12
Blade Runner 2039 01 
Blood Stained Teeth 07
Break Out 4
Captain America - Sentinel of Liberty 07
Captain America - Symbol of truth 7-8
Castle full of Blackbirds 3
Census 4
Damage Control 5
Damn them All 1-3
Daredevil 6
DC Horror Sgt Rock vs Army of the dead 3
Do a Powerbomb 7
Dogs of London 5
Earthdivers 3
End after End 4
Eve Children of the Moon 3
Fantastic Four 2
Flawed 3-4
Frankenstein New World 4
Grim 6
Gun Honey - Blood for Blood 04
Hellboy in Love 02
Ice Cream Man 33
Invincible Iron Man 1
James Bond - 007 4-5
Junkyard Joe 3
Lovesick 3
Miracleman The Silver Age 1-3
Monica Rambeau Photon 1
Moon Knight 18
Namor Conquered Shores 3
Once upon a time at the end of the world 2
Planet Hulk WorldBreaker 2
Predator 05
Punisher 08
Sacrament 5
Shang-chi and the ten rings 6
She-Hulk 9
Shock Shop 4
Specs 2
Star Wars - Han Solo & Chewbacca 08
Star Wars the Mandalorian 6
Star Wars Yoda 2
Thanos Death Notes 1
That Texas Blood 20
The Approach 2
The Dead Lucky 4
The Human Target 9
The Joker the man who stopped laughing 2
The Roadie 3-4
The Variants 5
The Walking Dead Deluxe 52-53
Thunderbolts 5
Travelling to Mars 2
Wakanda 2-3
A Calculated Man 04
All Against All 1+2
Astronaut Down 05
Batman & The Joker the Deadly Duo 1-2
Batman Journey into Knight 1
Billionaire Island Cult of Dogs 3
Black Panther 13
Blade Runner 2039 02
Blast 1 Dead weight (9 comics)
Blast 2 The Apocalypse according to St Jacky  (9 comics)
Blast 3 Head First  (9 comics)
Blast 4 I hope the Buddhists are wrong  (9 comics)

Read The Broken Ear (1935-7 - 62 pgs) wherein Tintin gets embroiled in a mystery around a theft of a South American idol.  He travels to Latin America (full of corruption and revolution) and has many misadventures and near-death experiences trying to unravel the mystery.  He is harried by two murderous villains all along the way, but our hero triumphs in the end.  The two villains get their unearthly reward.

thebrokenear5.jpg.714b8fe19f1bd9c0b45a85e8efaa933a.jpg